Changing names

I have a question, after a man is ordained how is it possible that he assumes a different name from baptized name, is this changed legally or is it only recognized by the Mother Church? Also, what is origin of this practice came from?

I’d like to know too.

[quote="Capuchinfan1337, post:1, topic:315030"]
I have a question, after a man is ordained how is it possible that he assumes a different name from baptized name, is this changed legally or is it only recognized by the Mother Church? Also, what is origin of this practice came from?

[/quote]

Do you mean new names that religious take? Both male and female religious often take new names, and both male religious who are ordained and those are not would do so. Some congregations, however, maintain their baptismal names.

In that case a new name is taken at clothing and for religious priests their priestly formation would not begin until they were in vows, so they would be known by their religious name. They could change their name legally, but I do not believe this is general practice.

Post Vatican II it was more usual to revert to or restrain the name given at Baptism as this sacrament is the most fundamental. The names taken on entering religion is not recognised by the state so driving licences polling cards etc all are in the name on the birth certificate. I suppose they could change them legally but I think it’s largely considered unnecessary. That is the position in the UK anyway. It may be different in states that have a legal relationship with the church

This comes from a Passionist community and explains more on the taking of new names:

Receiving a new name helps one keep in mind that she is entering a new state in life in which she is consecrated to God and to the work of the Church. It is very meaningful to all of us that this practice in our community (and in many other communities) fulfills the words of scripture: “I have called you by name: YOU ARE MINE.” (Isaiah 43:1)

This new name is symbolic of a new mission or role in the Church. In the bible, God sometimes changed the name of one he had chosen for a special mission on behalf of his people: for instance, Abram was changed to Abraham; Gideon to Champion; Simon to Peter, Saul to Paul, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.