Changing Sung Parts of Mass

Hello all! I have a question regarding parts of the mass that are usually sung like the Gloria. I have been to some parishes where instead of singing the Gloria as written, the choir turns the first part into a chorus and that is then repeated throughout. Are such changes allowed? If so, who determines what changes may be made? Thanks for your help!

This is a good question. At the Spanish Masses where I attend, I have yet to hear one which follows the Gloria text.

This has been asked before and the answer is yes, it is allowed. The repeated parts are used as a refrain, a very common technique in music.

Thank you, Carolyn!

Yes, repeating is acceptable, but one cannot add or take away other words, like “Jesus Lamb of God”.

Our parish just changed the way the Gloria is sung. I prefer the old way but i guess it’s just a matter of getting used to the new music.

The current musical director at our church likes to stretch out the “Gloria” by repeating the “Glory to God in the highest and on Earth peace to people of good will” part multiple times throughout. I don’t know why. It seems like filler to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.