Changing the Psalm

Is it permissable to change to responsorial psalm from what is in the missalette?

(Ex: It says to use psalm 51, but we sing 33.)

It is permissible to sing one of seasonal psalms (there are lists for the various liturgical seasons) instead of the psalm of the day.

I have not specifically heard that Psalm 33 is an acceptable seasonal psalm but I don’t have an all encompassing list handy. I know that Psalm 34 is an acceptable seasonal psalm.

The reason for seasonal psalms is so that the congregation can learn and sing along. Psalms are not supposed to read like poems; they are supposed to be sung.

While not prohibited, reciting a psalm is kind of like reciting the “Happy Birthday” song. It’s better than nothing but kind of weird. It makes more sense to sing a seasonal psalm than to recite a song of the day.

Yes.

As the others have said, it is permissible. There are specified “seasonal” psalms that may be used in place of the scheduled psalm.

We had Psalm 33 yesterday, too. EDITED TO ADD: Although 33 isn’t on the list of seasonal psalms for Ordinary Time.

'thann

Thanks everyone! I was curious because instead of using 33 yesterday, we did 27…which is fine really, because I find all the psalms to be very inspiring so I’m not that picky. I just wasn’t sure if it was allowed, but I’m glad to hear that it is!:smiley:

What about change the words of the psalms to be gender neutral or more PC. Or, even to make them “more understandable” to the congregation which may not know what some of the words mean?

Example, psalm ex: changing “If today you hear HIS voice…” to “if today you hear GOD’S voice.”

Bugs the heck out of me. I was cantoring a psalm…I think it WAS the above “If today…” and my priest was singing (in his microphone) “God’s voice” while I was singing “His Voice” (also in a microphone). I didn’t realize it until the last verse. There were several amused looks in the congregation…sigh…

Ha Ha. My priest is on my wave length, he sings HE, very loudly with me.

What bothers me is that I am trying to memorize the psalms, and I do have many memorized, the question is the psalm accoding to whom? :frowning:

Not allowed.

The approved texts of the readings and the liturgy should be used; not substitute words to fit a political agenda.

With that being said - there are times that I have been guilty of using “Shepherd Me, O God” for psalm 23. It is pretty close, and words have been altered a bit for musical reasons, not for political ones. Although this is still, technically, not correct, I personally believe that it’s not as bad as arbitrarily changing words because of an agenda.

When I say “not as bad”, by the way, I am speaking to the degree of impropriety. I believe that what I have just described is best described as irregular; I believe that changing the word “he” to “God” rises to the level of abuse. This is soley my opinion and others are free to disagree and to discuss the issue.

Just for the record, the following psalms can be used during Ordinary Time instead of the psalm of the day:
[LIST]
*]Psalm 19 - Lord, you have the words of everlasting life, or
Your words, Lord, are spirit and life
*][LEFT]Psalm 27 - The Lord is my light and my salvation[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Psalm 34 - I will bless the Lord at all times, or [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Taste and see the goodness of the Lord[/LEFT]

*][LEFT]Psalm 63 - My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Psalm 95 - If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Psalm 100 - We are his people;the sheep of his flock[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Psalm 103 - The Lord is kind and merciful[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Psalm 145 - I will praise your name forever, my king and my God.[/LEFT]
[/LIST][LEFT](During the last weeks of ordinary time, in other words, the end of the Liturgical Year:)[/LEFT]
[LIST]
*][LEFT]Psalm 122 - [FONT=ArialMT]Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.[/LEFT]
[/LIST][/FONT]There are other seasonal psalms for the other liturgical seasons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.