Changing the wording of the Propers of the Mass

Is it acceptable to do that? For instance when the Gloria is sung the wording is changed eg. One form is 'Glory to God, Glory to God, Glory to the Father, to him be glory forever alleluia. And then it goes on to the Son and Spirit. Another form is: Gloria(clap clap) Gloria in excelsis Deo Lord God heavenly King peace you bring to us… What about changing the Sanctus: This particular version I think really butchers it, Holy Holy Holy Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty as we lift our hearts before you as a token of our love holy holy. Is this acceptable? The musical coordinaters of my parish seems to think so.

These are actually the Ordinary, not the Propers, but no, they should not be changed like this. It’s one thing to repeat words or phrases, but quite another to change them completely. In the case of the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy), the version you posted runs roughshod over the words of angels and men in preference to the words of some composer.

To expand just a bit on what japhy has already said, one can look at classical Mass settings in Latin as examples. There are indeed repetitions (sometimes many repetitions) but when those repetitions are removed, the text itself is always that of the Missal. One can say, in other words, that the music was written to fit the preexisting text.

The things described in the OP are not faithful to even the ICEL text. As I see it, those are “hymns” (or songs) that may be based on parts of the Ordinary but they are nothing more than that, and to me, they cannot legitimately be called parts of the Ordinary. Here, one can say that the text was adapted (i.e. rewritten) to fit the music, which is quite the reverse of the above.

I wasn’t sure whether it was propers or ordinaries. mea culpa

The clapping…the clapping. Oy vey, Maria! :mad:

To make matters worse (sorry), you’re in South Africa, where the (incomplete) new English translation of the Mass is in use, right? So not only are these substitutions for the Gloria and Sanctus inappropriate, they’re specifically avoiding the new translations for them!

Ugh.

I hate when I hear that happening. That, and absolute ad libbing are top on my gripe list about the “spirit of” Novus Ordo

The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has repeatedly stated that this should not be done. This is from Redemptionis Sacramentum:

[59.] The reprobated practice by which Priests, Deacons or the faithful here and there alter or vary at will the texts of the Sacred Liturgy that they are charged to pronounce, must cease. For in doing thus, they render the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy unstable, and not infrequently distort the authentic meaning of the Liturgy.

In fact, when the new Ordinary was released, the CDWDS expressly and explicitly told composers and publishers that paraphrasing was not allowed. The music has to fit the text, not the other way around.

The examples that the OP gave are illicit and should not be used for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Thanks everyone. With this abuse and the inappropriate music for the liturgical season I mentioned in my other thread, I’m going to draft an anonymous email to my parish for liturgical reform. Or should I see Father in person(I’m an altar s erver) Thanks again

Thanks everyone. With this abuse and the inappropriate music for the liturgical season I mentioned in my other thread, I’m going to draft an anonymous email to my parish for liturgical reform. Or should I see Father in person(I’m an altar server) Thanks again

Anonymous letters do not work. It is best to speak to the priest in person.

As benedictgal said, anonymous letters don’t work. They will normally be thrown in the dust bin straight away. What I would suggest is to write the letter, (you really don’t have to sign it – you’ll see why in a second), make a copy of it, and then speak with the priest. Doing up the letter will help you gather your thoughts. Then, with letter in hand you can introduce the subject, and give him one copy.

It is amazing and sad, but our Lord warned St Peter that the devil would sift us like wheat, and the primary entry point of the devil is pride, and this is how he gains entry into the liturgy, through the pride of individuals who believe that their own (erroneous) ideas are “better” than what our Lord has given us in the Instructions. It is disobedience, the first sin. Pray for these (numerous) deceived people. I live in Southern California where the faithful priest and liturgy is rare, and the number of deceived is numerous.

On a regular basis *it could impose to the reality of faith.

It could impose *problem on the reality of faith.

Six year old thread :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.