Changing Your Mind on Accepting a Job Offer

Happy First Friday everyone!

On Wednesday of this week, I accepted a job offer. It was a good offer, and I am currently unemployed. I will call this Company A. I start this Monday.

However, today I am expecting to hear back from another company I interviewed with, I will call them Company B. They might also make me an offer. And this other job would be in a field that I really want to be in…

My main question is clear. What are the moral implications of changing my mind on an accepted job offer to take what is in my mind a better offer?

And as a side note, even if it is morally and ethically acceptable, does anyone know of any social/legal implications?

Thanks for any help!

I don’t see anything immoral about it at all, but if you are offered the second job and choose to take it, I would let the other company know as soon as possible.

I’m reluctant to offer legal advice, but where I live, unless you have a specific contract specifying length of employment that you’ve already signed, you can quit anytime. :shrug: In this case, you haven’t even begun.

I agree. If Company B should offer you a position there is nothing wrong or immoral in advising Company A that you have received another job offer that you believe would be better suited for you. Good luck!

I agree. If Company B should offer you a position there is nothing wrong or immoral in advising Company A that you have received another job offer that you believe would be better suited for you. Good luck!

I tend to agree with this response. My only caveat is that you handle the conversation with Employer A delicately and diplomatically.

Give 2 weeks notice to the new employer if you do start employment with them when the second job offer arrives. Be polite, firm, humble, professional, and appreciative. Show humility.

Do not burn bridges, and don’t be flippant. In today’s work environment, we are all free agents, so you have to have that mindset. But don’t destroy your reputation by burning bridges.

Unless you signed an employment contract, you are free to choose to work for whomever you deem fit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.