Channel 11 in chicago

Right now on Young John Paul II witness to Evil. Going to watch it. Is this an old program? It says “new”

:frowning:

What a sad show! I can’t believe how sad this is.:frowning:

It was released in September, 2008 so its less than a year old. It was shown in the UK and parts of the US at Easter, but I suppose other parts of the US are showing it at a different time.

Here is how American Public Television describes it:

Young Karol Wojtyla’s early life was plagued with tragedies, losing his only brother and mother at an early age. As the Germans invaded his homeland of Poland during the early days of World War II, he and his ailing father marched 120 miles towards the city of Krakow only to find that the Russians had also invaded the country, forcing them endure the hardships of German rule.

Although Karol originally set out on an acting career, the death of his father at a
young age pushed him towards the church. He studied in secret to become a priest, even as the German secret police rounded up intellectuals to send to concentration camps, and was ordained into the priesthood in 1946. Thirty years later, he was inaugurated as Pope John Paul II.

Featuring on-location shooting and dramatic reconstructions of the crucial turning
points in John Paul II’s adolescence, YOUNG JOHN PAUL II: WITNESS TO EVIL is
a gripping look at the early life of one of the 20th century’s greatest leaders.

aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/9b101ea525bd7f3685256db10052d22e/01abd4172ba57e6985257463005214e7/$FILE/Young%20John%20Paul%20II.pdf

:slight_smile:

Thanks DaleM.

Its so sad I am having a hard time watching it. I guess I am a sensitive person. I’m at the part now where its after his father died, and he got hooked up with some guy who was into mystic John of the Cross or something, and now he is discerning the priesthood. But, what a horrible war that was he lived through.:frowning:

I’m not sure I can watch more if its going to be this sad.

Black Sunday, then the escape to the Archbishop’s palace.
**What’s up with that!? Palace??? **That seems to be a bit much. The priests on the show that lived through this don’t even seem to mention that part as being unusual at all. Its kinda a big turn off to me!:mad:

Anyway the war is over now in the show and he is ordained now.

Wow, now suddenly its fast forward 30 years to his being pope. This show is a bit lacking in the details here.:o

Now commercial time.:frowning:

As far as I can tell, the Archbishop’s Palace is NOT an actual palace per se, in that it was not built specifically for the Archbishop. It seems (though I’m still researching it) that an old, out-of-use palace in Krakow at some point in the past was donated to the church for use as a seminary, and part of it was converted into the residence of the Archbishop, so he could oversee it’s operations. So, it’s now referred to as the Archbishop’s “Palace”, because in its former incarnation, it was a palace. I suppose it’s kind of like in my hometown growing up. There was a restaurant called the “Old Depot House”, which used to be a train station, and was themed as such on the inside. However, it no longer actually served that function. (It was pretty cool though… they had old historic Pullman dining cars that you could eat on that were attached to the building too!)

palace

c.1290, “official residence of an emperor, king, archbishop, etc.,” from O.Fr. palais, from M.L. palacium “a palace,” from L. palatium “palace” (cf. Sp. palacio, It. palazzo), from Mons Palatinus “the Palatine Hill,” one of the seven hills of ancient Rome, where Augustus Caesar’s house stood (the original “palace”), later the site of the splendid residence built by Nero. The hill name probably is ult. from palus “stake,” on the notion of “enclosure.” Another guess is that it is from Etruscan and connected with Pales, supposed name of an Italic goddess of shepherds and cattle. The general sense of “splendid dwelling place” is from 1387.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Words can have dual meanings, especially when comparing the ecclesiastical with the non-ecclesiastical. “Religious”, “secular”, “ordinary”, “apology” etc have different meanings in the Church than they do on the street. While a particular priest may not be “Religious” (i.e. belonging to a religious order), it would be an error to assume he was not “religious”. As well, being a “secular” priest does not imply a “secular” philosophy. “Apologists” are rarely “apologetic” (sorry!) – if you don’t believe me, check out the same-named forum – and the local “Ordinary” (bishop) is far from an “ordinary priest”, in that he has authority over the “ordinary priests” in the diocese.

The Palace – be it akin to mirror’d Versailles or a vinyl-sided bungalow in Outer Cove, NL – is wherever the Bishop resides. Just as the Episcopal Throne in a church, whether ornate or a simple wooden chair, is wherever said bishop regularly parks the Episcopal Caboose.

We are talking about Poland, so I think some things may get lost in translation to average layman. Many of the treasures in the Church’s possession are actually gifts, whether art, architecture, or land itself.

Back to work for me…

:confused:

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are saying. What do you mean?

Ghoti answered it for me. How was the rest of the show?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.