Chap stick and the 1 hour fast

Does mint chap stick break the 1 hour fast before receiving the Eucharist?

I don’t think it does, as it isn’t food. However, it does have sweetener and flavor.

Not food or drink.

No.

Now if you eat it…well then gets closer

Well, some of it does get on your tongue.

It is chapstick not steak :slight_smile:

NO, still not food! Neither is toothpaste, lipstick, vitamins, medicine, or (necessary) cough drops. Zenkai, your posts are starting to worry me a little bit. I know you’ve just entered the Church and you want to learn all you can, but please try not to become scrupulous like I have become. I want to see you have joy and peace!! :slight_smile:

But mmm, that minty taste! :smiley:

Nothing against the OP, by the way, but this question made me laugh because somewhere in my stash o’stuff, I have an old Catholic book from the 1920s that has a lot of similar questions (only of course the fast was longer than one hour back then!).

One of them that still cracks me up was, “If my gums bleed in the morning and I swallow it, have I broken the fast?”

Seriously, yukko and tee hee! :smiley:

Not unless you eat the whole stick :smiley:

I recall similar advice re swallowing the blood from a nose bleed. It broke the fast if it came down over your lip and entered through your mouth, but not if it ran down the back into your throat. :rolleyes:

The only way to break the fast is to eat something, deliberately, as if you were having a snack or sitting down to a meal. Eating a granola bar in the car equals breaking the fast. Having some toast and butter equals breaking the fast.

But noticing a bit of cereal stuck in your teeth and swallowing it in the communion line is not breaking the fast. Nor is swallowing blood, brushing your teeth, drinking water, biting some skin off your lip, licking flavored chapstick, etc. If your child were feeling hungry, you wouldn’t advise her to do any of those things. Only if you are consuming food the way you would consume a snack or a meal does it break the fast.

I do think the OP is good-heartedly joking with this question…?

That sounds like “high nun Theology!”

What about bacon flavored chapstick? :smiley:

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I wish that was the case…

Gum?

:eek: Oh yuck! So gross!

Fasting before Communion is not a moral law but, rather, a disciplinary practice. As long as you are not eating something that is actually food, don’t worry. If you eat a bowel or plate of food, you broke the fast. If you taste something in your mouth (chapstick, bleeding, mucous, baby formula, etc), don’t worry. If you accidentally swallow gum, don’t worry. :slight_smile:

All correct except for the first sentence. We are bound by laws of the Church, so it is a moral law. Just as children are bound morally to follow the rules if their parents, so are we to obey the Church. I think you meant that the Church can change the law, it’s not part of doctrine. This is true, but quite irrelevant.

You are correct. :smiley: I meant that this is a disciplinary precept of the Church that those who are able must follow. It is not a moral precept because it can be dispensed with by the proper authorities (moral precepts cannot change or be dispensed with). We are morally bound to follow disciplinary precepts of the Church but, disciplinary precepts are not moral precepts. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.