Chapel Veils

I found this forum today when I was questioning the direction of our local parish. It seems we are practicing a more traditional or Pre-Vatican ll mass? Today (high mass) we had 11 male altar servers, a seminarian and the priest. 80% of mass was in Latin, no precious blood and communion was at the communion rail. I was just wondering if it is a local trend or national.

I am now considering making a chapel veil so my question is: Are chapel veils required to be made of lace or a translucent fabric? While they are beautiful I am thinking that something a little more simple such as a solid thin cotton or silk would be more my speed

No they do not need to be made out of lace.

I really can’t stand lacy mantillas. So I am in search of the perfect head covering. Meanwhile for the most part, I wear beret-like hats.

I have been eying the coverings on this site, which another poster was gracious enough to share.

Praise the Lord that your parish is celebrating the traditional Mass!
I would say that most that I personally have seen are lace (and they are super easy to make!) but they do not need to be lace. I have seen quite a few women lately that have a sheer gauzy fabric instead of the lace and I think it still looks very nice. I think the cotton or silk might be okay, you would just have to find something that will sit well and not look funny on your head. I remember my grandmother saying occasionally they would have to wear a handkerchief on their head if they forgot their veil.

Generally women stick with black and white for chapel veils–I guess you could say the beauty is more in the symbolic than in the physical object. In the past married women wore black and unmarried women wore white veils, but that’s not a strict rule. I am unmarried but I prefer black.

Hope the veil making goes well!!!

By the time we stopped having to cover our heads to walk into a church, most of us girls and many women simply wore the type of covering you’ll find here.
chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/2011/05/sewing-basics-girls-kerchief.html

The women’s were no bigger than the ones on that site, the ties were simply longer. You could make that out of any fabric you desire. Ours were simply cotton with either fabric ties, as shown, or braided laces for ties.

Its a personal decision on the material and color for the covering. I prefer black for my mantilla but I also own a white one too but I am single. I do cover at both EF and OF Masses.

We just finished our 3rd Traditional Latin Mass (EF) yesterday afternoon. So far its been a low Mass. As soon as our Diocesan priest feels a little more confident we’ll try a High Mass.

What our group has done was to purchase about 250 circular plastic doilee’s and a bunch of “bobbie” pins for those women that want to cover for Mass but either can’t afford a Mantilla or forgot theirs. We set them out on a small table in back of the church along side of copies of “When to sit, stand, kneel for a low Mass”.

We are getting a lot of “1st. timers” attending and we try to do everything possible to help make them feel at ease at Mass.

There are lots of head wear that I have seen. But mostly either Mantillas or Chapel Veils (chapel caps). Seen lots of scarves too and regular hats are beginning to come back.

There is no guideline for how a veil should look, just as long as it do the job :slight_smile:

My mom wore hats, never mantillas. Those didn’t become popular until Jackie Kennedy wore them. So you are actually being more traditional by wearing a hat.

I’ve not found a small dressy hat that looks good on me to wear to Mass so I use a scarf or mantilla instead for Mass. If I find the right hat that is small and dressy in style then yes it will be an option for me.

True Light, I have been wearing one of Devorah’s chapel veils for years. I have always worn a head covering - never stopped when women thought (in error) that they no longer needed to cover their head when entering a church.

I have a number of mantillas, both black and white, but I found they always slipped off my head; the same with the small cap that sits on the top of your head. With my chapel veil from Devorah it fits like a cap. It is white and really beautiful and easy to wash. They are not expensive; but, she makes them by hand so it does take awhile to get your order.

You would not be disappointed.:thumbsup:

Fr Z disagrees with you.
If a woman wants to wear a veil to Mass, she is perfectly free to do so; if she does not want to wear a veil, she is perfectly free not to. Anyone not happy with that interpretation is welcome to take the matter up with Higher Authority than me, and higher than Burke, for that matter!
wdtprs.com/blog/2011/04/card-burke-on-women-covering-their-heads-in-church/

The 1983 code of canon law dropped the requirement for women to cover their heads in church, but most women (erroneously) stopped covering their head before that time.

I am certainly not going to get into a debate on this thread about the misconceptions and misinterpretations of VII.:frowning:

I don’t think anyone on this thread is saying a woman must wear a veil; they are discussing head coverings.

YOU are saying that woman must cover their head. You said it in your previous post.

What is funny is that when traditionalists talk about head coverings, they talk about veils. Traditionally, women wore hats.

Biblicly a woman should cover her head

But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered disgraceth her head: for it is all one as if she were shaven.For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head. - 1 CORINTHIANS 11:5-6

Should she cover her head when saying her evening prayers at home, or when saying Grace before eating breakfast by herself? Always have a veil at hand in case she decides to say some sort of prayer? Maybe you could fill us in on the “tradional” approach here.

So if a woman does not cover her head when praying?

We didn’t stop doing it until we were told we could.

Canon law isn’t written in stone and there were many changes to the law between 1917 and 1983 (just as there have been changes between 1983 and 2011). The laws on fasting changed, the laws on frequency of communion in one day changed, the laws about observing Holy Days of Obligation changed, the law on the timing for Mass changed. I believe that the law on covering our heads changed too, probably inserted in another document in the same way that the rule for the timing of Masses was changed by a 1953 document called CONCERNING THE DISCIPLINE TO BE OBSERVED WITH RESPECT TO THE EUCHARISTIC FAST.

I have always wondered about that. Should I, as I am driving down the road, pull over to cover my head because I started praying? Or what about when I am out on a bike ride? Does a bike helmet work for a head covering? Or does it have to be a non-traditional veil?

Is a hat okay? What about a Kleenex, like I know people ended up wearing because they forgot their hat? Does the hood of your winter coat work?

What is the “traditional” way?

I truly believe the debate is getting silly. Women covered their heads when they entered the House of God - not everytime they prayed in private in their own home; or riding a bicycle.:rolleyes:

Covering your head when entering a church was a sign of respect for the Blessed Sacrament.:byzsoc:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.