Chaplet of Divine Mercy Question

I am organizing devotions to the Divine Mercy on Mercy Sunday at a Church were the Traditional Latin Mass is offered.
I was wondering, is it permissible for me to change the “you” and “your” to “thee” and “thy” in the Chaplet during public recitation?
I read on some Divine Mercy website that it was not advisable to use an altered form of the chaplet or to change the official version of the Chaplet for various reasons.

St. Faustina was an undereducated nun who was directed by Jesus to write the diaries she did. You can read more about her and the devotion here.

I would never presume to rewrite Jesus’ own words. But that’s just me.

Well, I won’t be changing the entire chaplet. I am only changing two words in the “Eternal Father I offer…” portion to suit the people.

Jesus gave the Chaplet to St. Faustina in English, so the OP would be re-writing a translation of Jesus’s words. And it’s just a change in formality, you/thee and your/thy are the same words.

Jesus DID give the chaplet to St Faustina in English? I think you mean he didn’t.

I have the Divine Mercy on CDs. A couple of versions and one uses the thee and the other does not. I don’t think it matters. But, then again it is only my :twocents: worth.

oopss…yes, although as I recall, I meant to say that He gave St. Faustina the Chaplet in Polish :stuck_out_tongue:

What difference does it make. The only benefit I see with saying thee or thou is it was the informal version of you so it would be therefore stating how we are to pray to God informally and not as if he is a stranger to us. I don’t understand the necessity for it anymore though since now there is only one the formal you to apply both formally and informally.

Well, after a some article was put in the parish paper regarding the use of thee and thy vs you and your in prayer, I began to reconsider changing the you and your in the chaplet. However, for the past two years the people had no problem with me using the approved translation which says you and your. I guess, I will just stick with you and your.

Well, after a some article was put in the parish paper regarding the use of thee and thy vs you and your in prayer, I began to reconsider changing the you and your in the chaplet. However, for the past two years the people had no problem with me using the approved translation which says you and your. I guess, I will just stick with you and your.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.