Chaplet of the Divine Mercy Mis Use?

I discovered the Chaplet of Divine Mercy about a year ago. I know it by heart accept for the apostles creed which I’m trying to learn by heart. I say this prayer anytime I feel stressed or I’m praying for someone else. I find it much easier to say than the Rosary. It occured to me that this might not be proper. Is this okay?

Why would it not be proper. Both are private devotions and whatever brings you closer to Christ is fine.

I agree. Jesus told St. Faustina to tell everyone of His Divine Mercy because he wanted to share it with the whole world. I think seeking His mercy and finding it is the plan…whenever and where ever we do it.

I love this devotion too. Everyday at 3:15 my watch alarm goes off to remind me of “the moment in which, in His agony, His mercy flowed over all the world.” I can’t always stop what I am doing, but I do at least recall the moment and offer Jesus my love and thanks at that moment.

Blessings!:slight_smile:

I also wondered the same thing, didnt Mary give the Rosary to St. Dominic as a devotion to her, now, dont get me wrong, i love the prayers of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, especially in song, but i think using the Rosary for it just doesn’t feel right. I love saying the Holy Rosary it is such a beautiful way of reminding our selves of the trials and triumphs of Jesus and Mary. :highprayer:

The actual physical rosary beads themselves are just a tool or an instrument on which we can play many songs to God. Can a piano be used for only one song? No of course not. Just like a piano rosaries and the prayers said on them come in many shapes and sizes. There are rosary rings, and bracelets, large ones like some monks and nuns wear, small credit card types with bumps on them instead of beads, and one can even count just on their fingers which I do sometimes. There are also many prayers besides the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, and the regular rosary.

There is also no jealousy in heaven. No one gets upset over what prayers are aimed at who. Talking to Mary takes nothing away from Jesus, just as talking to the saints takes nothing away from Him either because all prayers end up at Jesus anyway. Pray the Memoare if you think Mary takes anything away from Jesus and see what she has to say for herself.

Vee8, that is a beautiful thought, comparing the rosary beads to a piano! For me, sometimes it is an effort, like practicing scales, and sometimes through no effort on my part, God plays a song to me…
For Igator99, the Divine Mercy Chaplet is a wonderful intercessory prayer - it seems to me God rushes to answer our pleas for His Mercy; but I hope you keep trying to say the Rosary. Since it is a meditation on the life of Christ, it opens up a line of communication between you and Jesus so He can reveal Himself to you.
It takes practice (just like learning to play the piano!), and there are books which can help you - The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort is one, and there are lots of books on using quotes from scripture at the beginning of each mystery to help with the meditation. Then there’s the method where you simply try to imagine yourself where the mystery is taking place - outside Mary’s house during the Annunciation, in the garden with Jesus during His agony, etc.

There is plenty of evidence that the Rosary is a method of prayer which pleases God very much, so it behooves us to make an effort - Our Lord and His dear mother reward our smallest efforts so richly!

A wonderful statement!!! Remember what Jesus himself said about His mercy…that everyone has a right to it and that the greater the sinner, the greater the right they have to His mercy, even though their sins be as scarlet. Jesus gave the world these prayers through St. Faustina and even the great feast of Divine Mercy on the first Sunday after Easter. Never doubt the mercy of Christ or the power of the prayers that He gave us to plead for His mercy.

Also, remember what he said about praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet for others, that he will stand between them and God, not as a just judge but as a source of mercy. Should we expect anything less from the one who laid down His life for us?!?!?

Remember what the psalms say, “Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, His mercy endures forever.”

vee8, wonderful post! There is absolutely no jealousy in Heaven; Everybody is focussed on Jesus! And prayer is not an either-or proposition. Different devotions add a different thread to the tapestry :smiley:

The Holy Spirit guides each of us to pray, and I believe that would also include the particular form of devotion. Since Our Lord Himself taught the Chaplet of Divine Mercy to St. Faustina, we have no fear that it is less important a devotion than the rosary, which was given to us by His Mother. Both have their purpose, both have their interior unction and attraction.

I pray the Chaplet of D.M. for special Souls in Purgatory, as Our Lord instructed Faustina; however I pray the rosary for the conversion of my family members who are not in communion with God. :shrug: We also know from the Diary’s revelations that the Chaplet of D.M. is to be prayed for those who are dying, as it is a most effective means for them to obtain mercy at the hour of their death.

I read somewhere recently (I can’t recall exactly, perhaps Bishop Theophan the Recluse) that in prayer life variety is a good thing. I find this to be so in my own case. When I want to pray with the psalms I will recite the Office. Lately I’ve felt the need for more “simplicity” so I’ve been meditating with the rosary more often.

…Nice post concerning a sometimes overlooked point Joysong :
Each time we say, “Have mercy on us and on the whole world”, the “whole world” part of the prayer intercedes for those members of the Church Militant ** and of the Church Suffering**.

I never can remember how to say the rosary. For some reason the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is easy for me to remember. Any tips or great web site for the rosary?

newadvent.org/images/rosary.pdf

Print it out.

It’s not hard at all. Aside from the beginning and ending, its:

The Our Father
10 Hail Marys
The Glory Be,
The “O my Jesus” Prayer.

Repeat five times, meditating on the mystery for each decade.
Check the pdf for the beginning and ending.

I don’t know if I’d use the term “mis-use”. But each devotion (i.e. The Rosary and The Chaplet of Divine Mercy) have different promises / benefits attached to them. As previously posted, however, each are private devotions. I’d think you could say a Rosary for World Peace - poor souls - a private intention - whatever. However, in the case of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy - I’ll leave that to those more well-versed on it than I (those who have read more of St. Faustina’s Diary). I’m still learning !
God bless you, and please say a prayer for me.

I can not remember the mysteries you are suppose to be meditating on. Thank you. I printed it out and will try asap.

I was thinking the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is for just that. Mercy from God for our sins. Is it right to use it to pray for someone going through hard times …etc…?

I don’t see anything wrong with that. Asking for the unfathomable Mercy of God for someone who is going on a hard time for his/her life. :slight_smile:

ONe other thing you may want to try is a website called praytherosarywithme.org (sorry I don’t know how to link to it).

It has all four mysteries and it is really nice to listen to. It’s like praying it with a friend. You can even down load it to iPod, mp3 player, etc. to take with you as you travel.

Peace!

Igator check out this site. Download the “Virual Rosary” and the “Divine Mercy”.
virtualrosary.org/dload.php
:thumbsup:

If you feel called to pray the Rosary, than you should pray it. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you the grace to be docile to His inspiration.

It is not wrong to pray the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy on the rosary beads. Jesus Himself instructed Saint Faustina - and, through her, the whole world - to do so. But if you don’t have the rosary beads, that is fine; they are just used for counting prayers - though this isn’t to say the rosary is simply ordinary beads: the rosary is, after all, a sacramental.

Edit: It is certainly okay to use the Chaplet to pray for those in hard times. God excludes no one from His Mercy. Jesus Himself instructed Saint Faustina to pray the Chaplet for everyone and for whatever graces one needs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.