Chapter and verse

Where did Chapter and Verse numbers of the Bible originate?
I doubt whether the scribes had them in their original texts.

[quote="Weissystems, post:1, topic:331522"]

[/quote]

No the chapter and verse were not part of the original. Once the books were gathered into a whole the chapters were added to make referencing easier and the verses later than that for the same reason. I don't know who added which but they both came in later.

[/quote]

They came much much later in the 16th century. I believe this is why the chapter and verse are not mentioned by the lectors who read the scripture at mass because for at least 1600 years there was no chapters and verses. I believe it was a Protestant reformer who first came up with the verse numbering.

biblegateway.com/blog/2012/11/where-do-bible-chapter-and-verse-numbers-come-from/

No, it wasn't a Protestant reformer but a Catholic bishop who came up with the chapter and verse numbering of the Bible.

I believe an EWTN show stated this, but I don't remember his name. I'll look it up...

[quote="bsroufek, post:4, topic:331522"]
No, it wasn't a Protestant reformer but a Catholic bishop who came up with the chapter and verse numbering of the Bible.

I believe an EWTN show stated this, but I don't remember his name. I'll look it up...

[/quote]

I believe we both may be correct sort of. Also I know the bible was first divided into chapters by the Catholic Archbishop of Canterbury in the 13th century. The verses came later by this gentleman:

"Robert I Estienne (1503 – 7 September 1559), known as Robertus Stephanus in Latin[1] and also referred to as Robert Stephens by 18th and 19th-century English writers, was a 16th-century printer and classical scholar in Paris. He was a former Catholic who became a Protestant late in his life and the first to print the Bible divided into standard numbered verses."

Thank you. I looked it up too. Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

Not only were there no chapter and verse divisions, but in the Greek NT there were no spaces between the words either!

It may be noted that chapters and verses are a man-made tradition added to the Word of God. Also a man-made tradition is to put all the scrolls of scripture under a single cover.
All this makes God's scripture more convenient to use but also puts God's word into a format different from the original, God-given form. I believe this can lead to abuses, allowing God's word it to be treated in ways not intended.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.