Chaput: Amazing 'how hostile the press is to everything the president does'

Philadelphia Archbishop Charles J. Chaput told a radio talk show host Monday that he believes fewer than 25 percent of those working in the “mainstream … elite” media have religious faith, and expressed surprise at what he termed was media hostility to President Trump.

“It’s just amazing to me how hostile the press is to everything the president does,” Chaput told the California-based Hugh Hewitt, a Catholic conservative.

“I don’t want to be partisan in my comments here, but it seems to me if we are really serious about our common responsibilities, we support the president,” Chaput said, “whether we accept everything he stands for or not, and wish him success rather than trying to undermine him.

More:
philly.com/philly/news/Chaput-says-amazing-how-hostile-media-are-to-Trump.html?mobi=true

A voice of wisdom.

Very Amazing … indeed!

Yes. I miss him since he left Denver. It’s a shame that I suspect he will never be raised to the college of cardinals.

I’ve heard the same.

Chaput could speak more openly if it wasn’t for the Johnson amendment. An amendment Trump wants to obliterate.

irs.gov/charities-non-pr…-organizations

All churchmen know If they ran afoul of this amendment they would have according to those who watch this stuff closely, (like a hawk) , compromise the tax free status of the Church. And know the IRS currently, will come after the Church with a meat hook. With that amendment, Johnson shut down free speech from the pulpit. That amendment in effect is a universal gag order

The articles and quotes I see of him are all supportive of the faith. He appears to strike the balance so many speak of, upholding the faith while operating in the world. It is all the more impressive as Philadelphia isn’t really known as a conservative political environment.

Thanks for posting the article!

From the same article:

"Chaput also said he thought that conservatives showed the “same sort of hostility, to a lesser extent, to President Obama,” .

With all due respect, if he is amazed at the hostility he isn’t paying attention.

It’s called democracy and freedom of the press. It’s just amazing that tho that freedom has been greatly curtailed in recent decades by mergers and corporatization (almost monopolization) of most of the media, corporate media still has some kick left in it.

Tho it would be a total dereliction of duty not to cover Trump and all his bad-doings and their negative repercussions. My take it is they are not covering this to the full as the really should.

Best to watch non-corporate media like Democracy Now! with Amy Goodman at democracynow.org/ where you can get the real stories the corporate media does not cover.

I agree.Archbishop Chaput is a fearless defender of the faith,isn’t afraid to speak out,so I too have my doubts that he will rise up the clerical chain because of this.You know what? I suspect he is just fine with that.:wink:

He’s calling a spade a spade. However, it didn’t take a political genius to predict that the media would be unrelenting in their agenda against Trump. I’m no political genius.

What ARCHBISHOP CHAPUT stated was that the media criticizes everything the president does in a negative manner. The media has nothing good to say about the president, ever. Therefore the media is not acting as professional journalism but as a bias group, very little to do with practicing democracy, much more like indoctrination.

"Chaput also said he thought that conservatives showed the “same sort of hostility, to a lesser extent, to President Obama,” .

Bolding mine.

And to be fair, Obama had it coming with his radical pro-abortion, pro-homosexual marriage, pro-transgender agendas.

Forget the press! Listen to the very vocal minority of activist Bishops! I had to wonder when I saw Bishop Cupich’s letter to the faithful regarding the executive order halting immigration. He wrote that (temporarily) stopping Muslim immigrants is a ‘dark moment’ in US history, “contrary to American values.” Has the good Bishop even visited ground zero? Is this a darker time than FDR authorizing the arrest and confinement of (US citizens) Japanese during WWII? Darker than the US government experiments on black men over 40 years? Ugh.

It will have no effect, but the Bishop > Cardinal is getting a letter from me. I hope he receives it before 9/12.

Based on the couple times I had to hear him speak and to briefly speak with him before he left, I would agree.

Between Bishops Sheridan, Chaput and Aquila, Northern and Central Colorado has been blessed with solid prelates over the last 15 years. We were also blessed to have Bishop Conley as an auxiliary. I pray as Bishop Sheridan approaches retirement that we continue to be sent men strong in faith and unwavering in defending the perennial teachings of the Church.

The only thing his pro-abortion, etc. agenda, would justify is hostility toward him on efforts on those agendas. But the hostility from the conservatives was on just about everything the President tried to do. And to be fair, only a small part of his agenda was these things you cite. Chaput gave his critique of conservatives without qualification (except for the part about “to a lesser extent”). He thought it significant enough to mention it alongside of his critique of the hostility toward Trump. But of course you will want to downplay Chaput’s critique of conservatives as much as possible, while at the same time highlighting and exaggerating his critique of Trump’s opponents.

So what are we doing? Pitting one bishop against another now? Shouldn’t we follow the collective mind of the church?

I’m not a Trump fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do agree with the Archbishop here.

As Glenn Reynolds says about the press- Just think of them as democrat operatives with by-lines and it all makes sense.

Do you hold the same opinion about the press not covering the bad-doings of the Obama administration?

It is one of the nice things about having a white male republican president, the press are far more likely to investigate and hold him accountable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.