Charismatic Renewal/reborn help!

Hello! I was reading a book by a priest, Fr. Cedric Pisegna, and had a few questions.

1. He says that many are Catholics are baptized into John’s baptism instead of Christ’s baptism. What does he mean? Is he allowed to say that?

2. The Church teaches we are born again at baptism. I understand that baptism of the spirit is more of a conversion than an actual “rebirth” in the baptismal sense. However, he says that at baptism the seeds of rebirth are planted but we aren’t reborn. This sounds a bit heretical.

I hope someone can help me understand! Thanks!

Also, on his website (frcedric.org/) he says we can be assured of heaven and gives a prayer we should recite (under the Eternal Life? tab). This too sounds heretical. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don’t see anything heretical at all in what Fr. Pisegna says.

I invite you to continue your surrender by praying daily, reading the Bible, good Spiritual books and by going to Church. I invite you to consider going to confession and celebrating Eucharist. Your spiritual growth is extremely important. You are saved by Grace, but you must walk this out through obedience and good works. God Bless you for your commitment. I want you to have that Blessed Assurance of salvation in the depths of your heart!

Assurance isn’t a guarantee per se, but one of trust in the promise Jesus gave us, in that if you have faith, and do as he commanded us to do, you will be saved.

Jim

Actually “assurance” and “guarantee” are synonyms.

You missed the “per se” part.

Jesus promises us, that if we do what he commands, we will have eternal life. This is the assurance we have.

If we don’t do what he commands, there is no assurance.

Jim

No, actually, I didn’t.

Well sorry you misunderstood.

Read it in the context of what the priest said.

Bold is my emphasis.

I invite you to consider going to confession and celebrating Eucharist. Your spiritual growth is extremely important. You are saved by Grace, but you must walk this out through obedience and good works.

Essentially he says, salvation in not unconditional, but that we must do our part.

Jim

:slight_smile: Thanks! What about the first thing?

Everyone is born into Christ’s baptism if they are baptised in the normal way by a priest. To be more technical, the form (words), the matter (water) and the intentions must be correct for the sacrament to be legitimate. The priest must intend what the Church intends and also the recipient must have faith in what baptism confers for it to be valid. That is why catechesis is important before receiving baptism.

I believe that those in the charismatic renewal who claim to be baptised in the Holy Spirit are simply activating, or making effective, what they received in the sacrament of baptism by a renewed faith in the promises which Christ confers through it. You notice that such experiences are often preceded by an assent of faith to a testimony of what Jesus is offering. This isn’t just my opinion, but is widely held. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.