Charismatic Renewal.

So I went to a Charismatic Renewal conference in Orlando this weekend. It was 3 days, but I actually was only able to make it for 1 day. I have to say I enjoy this more then regular mass. Though the people talking in tongues really freaked me out.
At first I thought it was Spanish, since one of the speakers was from Miami. :shrug:

I really hope Charismstic Catholicism brings you closer to God.

This type of worship isn't for me but of it brings people to the Church then I'm fine with it.

[quote="kmuestwin, post:2, topic:300265"]
I really hope Charismstic Catholicism brings you closer to God.

This type of worship isn't for me but of it brings people to the Church then I'm fine with it.

[/quote]

I hope so too, I don't have a lot of faith in God or believe in him that much. So I'm hoping that Charismatic renewal will invite Jesus to be in my life. Cause the only other place I feel him is in the LDS church.

[quote="Jessup, post:1, topic:300265"]
So I went to a Charismatic Renewal conference in Orlando this weekend. It was 3 days, but I actually was only able to make it for 1 day. I have to say I enjoy this more then regular mass. Though the people talking in tongues really freaked me out.
At first I thought it was Spanish, since one of the speakers was from Miami. :shrug:

[/quote]

The speakers are dynamic at charismatic conferences!

I had been active in Catholic charismatic renewal for many years, and attended many conferences. Thankfully, our leadership saw to it that the Mass was the focal point of our worshhip. We even had a room in the building where the Blessed Sacrament was, and people signed up to be in adoration there.

And, on the conference weekends, on Saturday night the priest would slowly walk around the entire assembly with our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament (in the monstrance), and stop briefly at each row of participants. It was a blessed time!

Be careful that your worship doesn't become all about what you feel.

That's the main problem with any Charismatic group in any denomination. The things you see/do/feel on a personal level may eventually eclipse your worship of God. Whenever people base their religious beliefs mostly on how they feel it worries me. Feelings change and they change quickly. It's guaranteed that you won't feel the way you felt when you are twenty as when you are forty and you won't feel the way you felt when you were forty when you are sixty.

Feelings are worldly. You need to start from a place of faith. My suggestion would be to research. Buy a catechism and learn what the Church teaches. Don't just get by with your feelings make the effort to know why you bieve what you believe and why you feel how you feel. To really know if you are ready to fully enter the Catholic Church you should know exactly what the Church teaches. Study Scripture and study the Catechism. Worry less about your feelings and more about understanding at this point in your journey.

[quote="kmuestwin, post:5, topic:300265"]

That's the main problem with any Charismatic group in any denomination. The things you see/do/feel on a personal level may eventually eclipse your worship of God. Whenever people base their religious beliefs mostly on how they feel it worries me. Feelings change and they change quickly. It's guaranteed that you won't feel the way you felt when you are twenty as when you are forty and you won't feel the way you felt when you were forty when you are sixty.

Feelings are worldly. You need to start from a place of faith. My suggestion would be to research. Buy a catechism and learn what the Church teaches. Don't just get by with your feelings make the effort to know why you bieve what you believe and why you feel how you feel. To really know if you are ready to fully enter the Catholic Church you should know exactly what the Church teaches. Study Scripture and study the Catechism. Worry less about your feelings and more about understanding at this point in your journey.

[/quote]

That is an interesting insight and I have to admit you put words to my feelings on the subject.

[/quote]

Jessup, please keep in mind that nothing can replace the eucharistic celebration. For in the eucharist, , the sacrifice of Christ on the cross - the price of our redemption, is re-presented to us and applied to us and well as for the whole world. And in the eucharist, Jesus, the God-Man, gives himself to us to be our spiritual food.

1324 The Eucharist is “the source and summit of the Christian life. “The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church)

1327 In brief, the Eucharist is the sum and summary of our faith: “Our way of thinking is attuned to the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn confirms our way of thinking.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church).

"We must needs confess that no other work can be performed by the faithful so holy and Divine as this tremendous mystery (the eucharist) itself." (Council of Trent).

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:::gopray:

The apostles spoke in tongues 2000 years ago when Jesus told them to wait for the One that He would send to help them--the Holy Spirit, the Comforter. I don't understand why anyone would question the authenticity of this experience because the catholic church itself has and still approves the charismatic movement.

As a non charismatic witnessing speaking in tongues--it may appear strange, even frightening, but it is nothing more than the power of the Holy Spirit made manifest. In truth, it is your spirit that speaks in tongues, prompted by the Holy Spirit Himself. Tongues does more than edity or uplift the person speaking, for tongues is a heavenly language from the Holy Spirit (God) to God. Sometimes, in our own language, we don't know what to say or how to pray to God, but our spirit (guided by the Holy Spirit) is able to pray on our behalf.

There are many who are not moved to speak in tongues, especially in light of the emotional fervor that is attached to it. Although charismatics can speak in tongues at will (choose to speak in tongues or not), it is important to note that it is at the prompting and inspiration of the Holy Spirit that allows this to take place. The Holy Spirit was sent by Jesus to help His disciples and the Holy Spirit remains to help all who are looking for a closer walk with God. Please do not allow the inexplicable things that you witness or do not understand prevent you from having that same kind of connection.

God Bless

[quote="Richca, post:7, topic:300265"]
Jessup, please keep in mind that nothing can replace the eucharistic celebration. For in the eucharist, , the sacrifice of Christ on the cross - the price of our redemption, is re-presented to us and applied to us and well as for the whole world. And in the eucharist, Jesus, the God-Man, gives himself to us to be our spiritual food.

1324 The Eucharist is “the source and summit of the Christian life. “The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church)

1327 In brief, the Eucharist is the sum and summary of our faith: “Our way of thinking is attuned to the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn confirms our way of thinking.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church).

"We must needs confess that no other work can be performed by the faithful so holy and Divine as this tremendous mystery (the eucharist) itself." (Council of Trent).

[/quote]

It was a catholic charismatic conference it was not protestant

[/quote]

What if you are dead to Jesus other wise? Then are those feelings ok? I don't get it?

I wish they had it near me, I know its not as importand as the Eucharist, nothing is, but the touch of the holy spirit is very uplifting!

[quote="Jessup, post:11, topic:300265"]
What if you are dead to Jesus other wise? Then are those feelings ok? I don't get it?

[/quote]

I didn't say not to feel. I just said don't base your faith entirely on how you feel.

There have been moments in my life where I have felt completely and directly guided by the hand of God. There have also been moments when I've felt utterly alone. In these times, as different as they have both been have not caused me to lose my faith because I hide my faith in a deeper part of my heart.

Because I know in my heart of hearts what I believe, I've been able to sail through some of the tougher challenges of my faith battered but relatively unscathed.

Learn about God and the Church and your faith will be stronger.

I'm not devaluing the Charismatic Movement at all. I am just suggesting you go deeper than the emotional level.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Is the Charismatic Renewal a traditional Catholic topic? :shrug::)

[/quote]

Was there translation/interpretation? If not, this is not Biblically correct but either demonic or the result of neuroses and the seeking of signs, etc.

There are, as I'm given to understand, two types of speaking in tongues: 1) that which was seen at Pentecost- all understanding though in reality, multiple languages are likely being spoken 2) a more esoteric sort of tongue wherein a person is either speaking another language unknown in the region or is speaking in a, for lack of a better term, holy language.

There is the Charismatic alternative: made-up/demonically influenced babbling outside the dictates of Sacred Scripture and Tradition.

I heard a tongue today being spoken in Mass... and it was interpreted via the lovely folks at Angelus Press (though I saw much in the way of Baronius press providing interpretation as well)... Latin. It did sound a little like Spanish though. Indeed, it was edifying.

[quote="MarMax, post:15, topic:300265"]
Was there translation/interpretation? If not, this is not Biblically correct but either demonic or the result of neuroses and the seeking of signs, etc.

There are, as I'm given to understand, two types of speaking in tongues: 1) that which was seen at Pentecost- all understanding though in reality, multiple languages are likely being spoken 2) a more esoteric sort of tongue wherein a person is either speaking another language unknown in the region or is speaking in a, for lack of a better term, holy language.

There is the Charismatic alternative: made-up/demonically influenced babbling outside the dictates of Sacred Scripture and Tradition.

I heard a tongue today being spoken in Mass... and it was interpreted via the lovely folks at Angelus Press (though I saw much in the way of Baronius press providing interpretation as well)... Latin. It did sound a little like Spanish though. Indeed, it was edifying.

[/quote]

No, I dont think so. At first I thought it was Spanish singing, lol. 

I would to show you what it was, I'd have to ask you to Google Orlando Charismatic Conference. But the priest was pretty powerful, as declaring the lord.

[/quote]

That the Holy Spirit can or may even give the gift of tongues to some I don't doubt. However, it certainly hasn't been something common in the history of the church. I have difficulties with the charismatic movement's interpretation of some scriptural passages dealing with the gift of tongues as well as with some of their other teachings such as the so called "prayer tongues" which from what I understand is meant for the masses and that once it is given it is permanent and can be used at will by the recipient.

I love the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. I am also a traditional Catholic. It seems that you often will not find someone who is both a Charismatic Catholic and a traditional Catholic but here I am. :p

So yeah, I like both types of Mass. I like a good traditional Ordinary Form Mass and a good reverent Charismatic Catholic Mass. :)

As for speaking in tongues, I have only ever seen a person actually speak in tongues once and have someone interpret it for us. I think most people who say they "speak in tongues" are actually praying in tongues which I think is supposed to be private.

When the Apostles 'spoke in tongues', everyone listening understood in their own language. Now that was impressive. Having to have someone interpret the 'tongue' is the exact opposite result.

There's nothing traditional and Catholic about the Charismatic Renewal. It is, however, an old phenomenon: the indiscriminate seeking after spiritual and psychic effects in a group setting.

[quote="RogerDeCourcy, post:19, topic:300265"]
There's nothing traditional and Catholic about the Charismatic Renewal.

[/quote]

As a heads up, the Magisteruim of the Holy Catholic Church disagrees with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.