Charismatics in the East?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, I tried looking in the search feature and found nothing, but is the Charismatic movement strictly in the Roman Rite or are there Byzantine and Eastern Charismatics? I’m not charismatic but am doing a little research for an upcoming discussion with some friends who are. I assume the movement is predominatly western and has not found its way to the East for various reasons. Am I correct or mistaken? Thanks in advance

Bruce

Based on my past research, the official answer is no (There may be some unofficial Charismatic Eastern Catholics but the mixing of the two is not encouraged). The reason why, Canonically speaking is you cannot mix rites. The Charismatic movement is considered a Rite within the Latin Church (see link and quote below) While The Eastern Churches exist to preserve a very specific Liturgy and Holy Tradition. While the underlying current of the Charismatic movement besides “the gifts” is a modernization of the Church (besides having an eclectic attitude regarding liturgy etc.) which runs counter to that. Not to mention the Eastern rites are suppose retain their true ancient ethnic Tradition while the Charismatic movement definitely has a westernizing influence.

One good bit of Good news (I’m assuming you might be Charismatic). Just because there isn’t an official Charismatic Eastern Church movement does not mean that there aren’t spiritual gifts that operate in the Church (The Protestant Charismatic folks I once hung out with tend to always assume this). My Orthodox church also doesn’t have a Charismatic movement but there are monks and priests that have gifts of healing, exorcism etc. One bad thing about the Charismatic movement is it assumes some Protestant notions like Dispensationalism and Cesassionism (It assumes that the gifts were once lost and now are being restored). Church History shows this assumption to be false!

st.michaels.faithweb.com/History.htm

"…The Catholic Charismatic Church of Canada was a response to the modernism tht was being felt in the Church and to statements in the reports of Vatican II, inviting new rites and patriarchies. The CCCC was conceived as such an undertaking, a progressive-conservative patriarchy: a new stem of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

There are many Catholic Rites throughout the world, many of which are united under the Papacy: the Melkite Catholic Church, the Ukrainian Catholic Church, the Syriac Catholic Church, just to name a few. There are also Catholic rites which are not in communion with the Papacy but which are considered to be “valid”, having true unbroken apostolic succession and thus true sacraments. The Old Catholic Church, the Old Roman Catholic Church, the Polish National Catholic Church are a few of these.

Father Barbeau started the Cité de Marie in the early 1960’s with the help of Father André Letellier. Things proved very difficult with much pressure to end the ministry. However, guided by the Holy Spirit, they remained firm and continued to answer their call. In this light, after being consecrated by pro-uniate Old Catholic bishops in Europe, and thus having valid apostolic succession, Archbishop Barbeau founded the Catholic Charismatic Church of Canada “…to assist the Roman Catholic Church in its mission as a supplemental rite.” Father Letellier was also consecrated a bishop. With the founding of the CCCC, Archbishop Barbeau became known as Patriarch André I. Immediately, after the Church’s establishment, Patriarch Barbeau petitioned the Pope regarding the status of the rite."

Hi, I have a couple ‘Eastern’ friends who are “charismatic” that is they have some of the ‘gifts’, but there’s no definite “movement” for it, like in the Western church. I myself am not charismatic btw…

I think I should also clarify something… I don’t think it’s true that the charismatic movement is a “rite” in the Western church.??? I’ve never heard of this…? It’s just a movement… and not even accepted by everyone. Rome is staying mostly silent on the matter. Pope Benedict hasn’t said anything about it. It’s not an ‘official rite’ or a separate type of ‘church’. Charismatic Catholics mostly go to typical parishes which non charismatics also attend.

Also about liturgy… some charismatic Catholics prefer a more “modernized” liturgy, but others i know like the Mass to be very traditional, or Eastern DL.

So that just shows, the CCR is a movement that encompasses various different types of Catholics and is not a “new type of Catholic church”…

as for the “charismatic gifts”, this is also relatively “unofficial”, it’s not a dogma that people should “speak in tongues” etc.

hope that helps…

Monica,

I don’t know if there’s an exact movement in the East for charismatic Christians. However, I know it is becoming popular among some East Indian circles. Don’t know any details, but the Syro-Malabar Church or the Syro-Malankara Church (more so the former) may be more involved especially since Pentecostals have been active in their backyards.

Sorry, I couldn’t provide any more information.

Charismatic Movement is there in Syro-Malabar from 1970’s.Fr.Mathew Naikomparambil Pioneered it.
syromalabar.com/the-church/theology/renewal/renewal.htm

Today ,Charismatic movement which effectively saved the church from pentecostal cults are outgrown too much.there are charismatic masters like Devassia Mullakkara who was expelled from SMC.

that a Pastoral Letter was issued last week warning be aware of the few charismatic masters who are necessarily not supporters of SMC who mislead.

The Eastern Orthodox Church has a charismatic movement, but it is very much looked down upon. I think Father Seraphim Rose has explicitly written something against it. Like someone else had written, the charismatic movement is not really a structured establishment of any kind (though brother Addai mentioned one in Canada), but a grass roots movement that involves Christians in many Churches.

Blessings,
Marduk

As a general rule, charismaticism pops up in Orthodoxy where there is a very low level of liturgical, sacramental, and spiritual life.

Where these are being practiced as fully as they can, charismaticism doesn’t flourish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.