Charitoo/Kecharitomene

We all know that Luke 1:28 usually gets translated “full of grace” or “highly favored one.” I don’t have a Greek NT, but my understanding is that the Greek word here is kecharitomene. However, all the Lexicons (like Strong’s) use Charitoo. Why? What’s the difference? Are they the same word or different words, or is Charitoo an abreviated form of Kecharitomene or what?

Please only answer if you really really no Greek. No amateur opinions please. Thanks.

Anybody is free to contribute to an open forum.

charitoo = v. “to grace, to favour”

“kecharitomene” root = charitoo; parsed: passive, perfect, participle, vocative.

passive voice = the action is done to the subject, rather than the subject performing the action.
perfect tense = the action (to grace, to favour) was done at some point in the past, but the effect continues to the present.
participle = the verb is used in another role, in this case, as an adjective, modifying a noun.
vocative case = the word is used as a form of address.

With this analysis, it’s clear that neither “favoured one” or “full of grace” fully captures the richness of the Greek.

Call in to Dr. David Anders’ EWTN radio show “Called to Communion.” He has a simply excellent explanation for you.

Kecharitomene

The root is the same, and the differences are tense and case modifications to the word.

So it is NOT like comparing at reknowned and known. It’s more like comparing “He runs” to “He was running” and other ways of modifying the word, changing it’s tense and case and such.

It’s the same word, its case and tense have just been modified.

We just did a thread on this if youre interested. I started the thread so you can find it essily by looking at my profile. Some superb answers.

Greek is a highly inflected language – that means that words take on different forms (i.e., changes to the word in the form of prefixes, suffixes, etc) in order to reflect the grammatical way the word is being used in a sentence.

So, in a lexicon, the most basic form of the word is used (that way, you only have one dictionary listing, and not three hundred, for the word!). For verbs, that form is:
[list]*]present (tense)
*]active (voice)
*]indicative (mood)
*]first (person)
*]singular (number)
[/list]

‘charitoo’ is precisely that form: written like that, it means “I grace”.
‘kecharitomene’, as porthos has pointed out, is a participle. Its base form is ‘charitoo’, so that’s what you find when you look it up in a lexicon.

Hi, Gracie!

Wow, you should refrain from posting in general forums and head right to the scholar/theological forums.

I really do not know the Greek Language.

…sorry I couldn’t help! :imsorry::imsorry::imsorry:

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.