Charity, ecumenism, and discussion

This may be in the wrong category, and if so please move it. But, I do think that this is something we all need to be reminded of from time to time, especially when discussing topics as divisive and contentious as religion.

I have noticed a certain lack of charity toward posts of opposing parties from all sides in CAF Non-Catholic Religions forum. I do not wish to chastise anyone more than the rest of us, so I will not be using specific examples. There are a few shining lights who continue to call this community to greater charity in discussing these matters, and I give God thanks for them. At any rate, I leave you with something written by Martin Luther (credit for this idea goes to gcnuss who uses this as his signature).

"The Eighth Commandment: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

What does this mean?

Answer:
We should fear and love God that we may not deceitfully belie, betray, slander, or defame our neighbor, but defend him, [think and] speak well of him, and put the best construction on everything." (retrieved from bookofconcord.org)

It is sometimes a fine line. Christ said say yes when you mean yes and no when you me no, everything else is from the Evil one. Being nice while sacrificing even a little truth is wrong. But you can always be charitable which means speaking the truth.

Charity does not mean sacrificing the truth. Intentionally ignoring peoples’ points, inferring things they didn’t mean, or assuming things because of one’s denominational affiliation are examples of how one lacks charity. The Truth should be spoken in love, no?

Lack of charity is against forum rules. If you feel there is a violation, the simple response is to report the post and let the moderators deal with it.
But you have to report it. Reading through various posts takes time and moderators cannot deal with any situation if it is not reported.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.