Charlie Sheen merchandise?

So here's a quick rundown:

1) Sibling is having a birthday soon (they're over 18) and they want one of those novelty t shirts with Charlie Sheen's face on it emblazoned with the words "winning" on top. For those not familiar, it deals with his current health issues and comments he made relating to them.

2) Given the seriousness of Charlie's condition right now I don't know if I should be buying merchandise making light of it even though the profits from the sales don't go to him. I'd buy it otherwise.

Oh and I have to make a decision tonight if I hope of getting the gift shipped in time. Thoughts?

EDIT: Let me also add that I suffer from scrupulousity. In case you can't tell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Horseyhiney.jpg

CHARLIE SHEEN

Hey ponyguy, why insult the horse ??

No, I wouldn't get the Charlie Sheen shirt. He seems to be, IMO, a "bit" off balanced right now, and it just seems like wearing his stuff would be making fun of someone in that condition. He just seems to be a joke now.

Joke or not, I wouldn't buy it due to how trashy it would look. I don't see how him being a celebrity would make wearing a T-shirt with him on it any better than wearing a T-shirt with the picture of any other sleazy drug addict on it.

Based on the little I've read online, I still can't tell if that shirt is supportive or mocking of Sheen. If it's the former, wearing the shirt would make you look like an idiot, and if it's the latter, wearing the shirt is just mean. I wouldn't want to condone/support of those options, and would definitely not buy the shirt.

[quote="LotusCarsLtd, post:1, topic:233944"]
So here's a quick rundown:

1) Sibling is having a birthday soon (they're over 18) and they want one of those novelty t shirts with Charlie Sheen's face on it emblazoned with the words "winning" on top. For those not familiar, it deals with his current health issues and comments he made relating to them.

2) Given the seriousness of Charlie's condition right now I don't know if I should be buying merchandise making light of it even though the profits from the sales don't go to him. I'd buy it otherwise.

Oh and I have to make a decision tonight if I hope of getting the gift shipped in time. Thoughts?

EDIT: Let me also add that I suffer from scrupulousity. In case you can't tell.

[/quote]

I think it's silly, and not very charitable to be mocking this pathetic addict (all addicts are pathetic but Sheen even more so) who is also probably mentally ill (not sure if that preceded the addictions or is caused by them). I would not buy the shirt.

My son wanted a shirt that shows a mouse caught in a snap trap, with a cartoon bubble above his head that says, "I have no regrets." While I don't like the sentiment, in some ways I think it was very much a reflection of his attitude at the time. I did buy it for him.

But many people are now capitalizing off Charlie Sheen's insanity. Unless it was being sold by one of the people who had gotten laid off from the TV show he stars in, I wouldn't buy that shirt or any other merchandise related to it.

Why waste the money? There are so many other good uses for that hard earned money.

Knock yourself out. Not everything distasteful is sinful. I wouldn’t personally get one, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Remember that people with too much time on their hands and like to bully others can make anything sound sinful when it really isn’t.

[quote="Rascalking, post:8, topic:233944"]
Knock yourself out. Not everything distasteful is sinful. I wouldn't personally get one, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Remember that people with too much time on their hands and like to bully others can make anything sound sinful when it really isn't.

[/quote]

Hey Rascal! No one said it was sinful, just tasteless and using an addict to make money. The OP has freedom since the Magisterium has not weighed in on profiting from a celebrity's insanity, or helping someone profit from it.

No bullying is going on here, the OP asked for our opinion so we're giving it.

:D

Would you buy said sibling a shirt that made fun of Austim or even depression? If the answer is sure then why not buy it. However, I personally feel that Sheen is suffering some kind of mental illness (I think the majority would agree) and it's not right to mock him for it.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:9, topic:233944"]
Hey Rascal! No one said it was sinful, just tasteless and using an addict to make money. The OP has freedom since the Magisterium has not weighed in on profiting from a celebrity's insanity, or helping someone profit from it.

No bullying is going on here, the OP asked for our opinion so we're giving it.

:D

[/quote]

FakeJuliane-

I think my post was misread. I never said anyone DID say it was sinful or anything like that.

Many times, people DO bully/try to control/state their personal opinions as sin/not sin on threads.

[quote="Ponyguy, post:2, topic:233944"]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Horseyhiney.jpg

CHARLIE SHEEN

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I couldn't agree more.

But seriously, OP, I think that is just going to have to be up to your personal discernment :) I don't think it goes into the realm of sin, but think about personal taste and tact a bit :D If my sister asked for a shirt with the playboy logo, I would be like 'heck no, kid, that's tacky'. thankfully, she would never want anything like that, I was just making an example :cool:

The idea of sinfulness is an interesting one. Teasing is a sin. When you prepare your children for their first penances, and go through examinations of conscience, some of the sins they are looking for are teasing and mocking. These are not commonly listed on adult examinations of conscience because those words are simplistic sounding, and because adults often commit much bigger sins that need to be prioritized. It doesn't make teasing not sinful though. I think it might be one of those things that adults forget about until they start forming their children.

Now if you buy a shirt that is intended to tease/mock, but you don't wear it, you're not doing the teasing, but you are encouraging/condoning the teasing/mocking, both by your financial contribution to the maker of the shirt and by your gift of the shirt to its recipient. So is encouragement of teasing a sin? If my child was on the playground and was encouraging one child to tease and mock another, I would tell my child that he was contributing to the hurt as much as (or almost as much as) the one who actually did it, and I would suggest that they confess that sin as "being mean." Maybe this is reluctant encouragement?

In this case, there is even one further step of removal because the object of the mocking is not present for the actual mocking (at least not likely with the OP, although he may encounter someone with such a shirt at some point). Even so, the fact that you are expecting it to be "behind his back," doesn't make the action right. If it was your sister who you were mocking on a t-shirt, you would feel worse about it - why? Because there are stronger societal expectations that you be kind to family, but there are also societal expectations that anything goes when it comes to public figures.

A question that I have thought about when wondering if things are sins are: would the Pope do it? Or IF he did it, would he confess it in one of his weekly confessions? Because I'm sure that if the Pope is going to confession weekly, it's because he's recognizing as sinful, things that many of us let slide. I think we need to be careful not to label things as "not sinful" just because they're not necessarily BIG sins.

For a person who struggles with scrupulosity, it needs to be clear that we are not in the area of mortal sin here. So this is not the sort of thing that you need to be stressing over when it comes to confession or the Eucharist. But again, that doesn't make it right. And if something isn't right, doesn't that mean it's wrong? I hesitated to say this because I don't want to encourage a scrupulous person in his scrupulosity. But I'm assuming that even a scrupulous person still needs to recognize sin as sin, but just needs to learn not to agonize over it.

So my advice is - don't buy the shirt. It's not the right thing to do. If you did buy the shirt, chalk it up to lesson learned, know that your participation in "mean-ness" was distant, and don't agonize over it.

So I've decided not to buy the shirt but now I'm being pressured to buy it anyway. They understand why I don't want to buy it but still want me to get it for them. I offered to get something else (which is okay by them) but they still insist on the shirt.

Thoughts?

Let me just start by saying that I completely agree with ThyKingdomCome on this one. Wearing this shirt is akin to teasing, which should be avoided at all costs...

As far as your sibling is concerned, I would reiterate that you don't want to buy this particular shirt. Let them know that you have made a final decision and that you do not appreciate being told what to do. I don't know what age your sib is, but it seems childish that he/she would even be pressuring you. What kind of gift would it be if the recipient is "pressuring" you to buy it? It's YOUR money, and you should be able to find another suitable (and inoffensive) gift.

What about a gift certificate?
BTW, IMHO it seems presumptuous for someone to pressure the gift-giver into a specific gift.
You seem like a thoughtful and generous individual.
Just my $0.02.

I think the OP's instincts about the t-shirt were bang on. There is something distasteful about it.

I agree with those who have mentioned Sheen is either addicted or mentally ill. So much attention has been paid to him in his sorry state, and I liken it to our compulsion to slow down and gawk at a bad car accident.

My fear for Sheen is that he will go the way of other celebrities who were crying out for help - Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson come to mind. They were headed on a sad, and seemingly unavoidable collision course that brought on a lot of media attention, before and after their deaths. I pray Sheen gets the help he needs before that happens.

So no, I don't think anyone should buy the t-shirt. And let's all take a moment to pray for Charlie Sheen and all his friends and family, especially his children.

All my opinion, of course.

That’s pretty tasteless too. And ungrateful. It’s not like you owe them a present at all, let alone something that they hand picked. I’m sorry they’re behaving so badly. If I was feeling unsure about saying no to that gift, I’d DEFINITELY wouldn’t feel bad about it now. You could do a couple of things:

a) Get them a gift card. This way they can buy what they want, and the pressure is off of you.

b) Get them whatever YOU think is a nice gift. I think it is nice to attach a gift receipt, again so that the person can always get what they’d prefer. OTOH, I wouldn’t begrudge a decision to not bend over backwards to be flexible, since they are being so inflexible with you.

c) Get them nothing. If questioned, explain that they made it clear that they only want ONE thing, and since you can’t provide it, it makes no sense to get them something they don’t want. Or you could be straightforward and say you don’t appreciate being pressured, it feels like their only interest in you is your money, and that you don’t OWE them any present, and you certainly don’t owe them a present that violates your personal morals.

If it were me, I’d probably go with one of the first 2 choices, as the third choice sets you up for a fair amount of conflict. There are times when those things need to be said - I’m not sure if this is one of those times though. They still might get the message without you having to be confrontational about it. And if they don’t, at least you’re still not doing something that you don’t feel comfortable doing.

I should think a CS bobble head doll would be the most appropriate gift for any fan of his.

The reason Charlie Sheen is "Winning" is because we keep paying attention to him. Don't buy the shirt. Buy something tasteful and meaningful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.