Charlotte City Council approves LGBT protections in 7-4 vote

After more than three hours of impassioned public comment Monday night, Charlotte City Council approved new legal protections for gay, lesbian and transgender people – a decision that will likely provoke a battle with the General Assembly, which could nullify the city’s historic vote.

Council members approved expanding the city’s existing nondiscrimination ordinance in a 7-4 vote.

The decision elicited cheers and hugs from supporters, many carrying signs that read “Facts Not Fear.” Opponents of the ordinance, many with signs that read, “Don’t Do It Charlotte,” were upset by the decision.

The changes mean businesses in Charlotte can’t discriminate against gay, lesbian or transgender customers, in addition to long-standing protections based on race, age, religion and gender. The ordinance applies to places of public accommodation, such as bars, restaurants and stores. It also applies to taxis.

charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article61786967.html

This is big. This isn’t a typically liberal area of the country. This isn’t a goofy college town. This is the birthplace of Billy Graham. This is home to many church organizations and institutions. I expect and hope the state legislature will override this. Many in state government have already said they would.

"don’t discriminate against me and my children,” she said. “I’m not scared of transgenders, but sexual predators will see this as a chance for fresh victims. If one child becomes a victim through this, shame on all of you.”

Read more here: charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article61786967.html#storylink=cpy

I don’t think they care. All they care about are the special feelings of a certain group of people and only seem to advocate for them when it’s safe, :cool: and easy.

BTW, I think Charlotte’s turn from conservatism and common sense has been happening for a while now.

Oh, and be assured that minority businesses who don’t want to follow this may not be “held accountable” because I’d bet that Hillary 2016 turnout is more important than the cause itself. :tiphat:

On the one hand, NC is relatively conservative and it is the home of Billy Graham, but at the same time, the demographics have shifted greatly in the last decade or so. There’s been a lot of midwesterners and northerners moving southward, and settling in the whole state of NC–in the Piedmont Triad for engineering and tech jobs, and around Charlotte because it’s a financial center. This has resulted in the urban areas becoming more liberal in their politics; the same thing has happened in Virginia with NoVa, Tidewater, and Richmond controlling most of the politics. Look at electoral maps from the last presidential election by county in both states–lots and lots and lots of red, a few areas of blue, and Obama carried Virginia and only narrowly lost NC.

-ACEGC

I don’t see much wrong with the Ordinance per se, because businesses shouldn’t discrimate based on whether one has same-sex attraction or not.

This however is insanity:

The most controversial part of the ordinance would allow transgender residents to use either a men’s or women’s bathroom, depending on the gender with which they identify.

As if gender isn’t determined by sex :frowning: Don’t they realize that they aren’t helping transgendered people by creating the illusion they are something that they aren’t?

Christi pax,

Lucretius

My wife told me the ladies room at the Dillard’s has a couch. Wouldn’t mind relaxing while she’s doing whatever. Guess I’ll “feel like a woman” for an hour or so.

A lot of peeping Toms might decide they are really “peeping Pams” on the inside too :eek:

Christi pax,

Lucretius

I believe they call themselves “Ogling Olives” TBQH.

I hope so too.

Born and raised in South Carolina. In my 60 years i never thought I would live to see the likes of this moral destruction. There is a price to be paid for this descent into depravity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.