Charter Schools Accused of Segregating America's Education System

U.S. Department of Education and two Delaware nonprofit groups have filed a lawsuit alleging some of that state’s publicly funded, privately managed charter schools are actively resegregating K-12 education in a way that violates federal civil rights law.

The complaint, by the Delaware branch of the American Civil Liberties Union and the Community Legal Aid Society, cites data showing that more than three-quarters of Delaware’s charter schools are “racially identifiable” – a term that describes schools whose demographics are substantially different from the surrounding community.

According to the complaint, “High-performing charter schools are almost entirely racially identifiable as white” while “low-income students and students with disabilities are disproportionately relegated to failing charter schools and charter schools that are racially identifiable as African-American or Hispanic.”

The same divide exists in local school districts.

It seems that some look only at the ends and deduce that the means are unjust. Unless they can show any policy that actively looks at race, there is no evidence of any racist motivation. But then again, they aren’t actually interested in the means, only the ends.

And in the article, not a single complainant criticizes the means. The closest is this (emphasis mine): "Yet, in the Delaware case, the nonprofit groups blame charter schools’ admissions requirements for effectively promoting discrimination. " Here’s the admission that they are only concerned about the effects (i.e. the ends), not the means.

The more I hear about these kinds of things, the more I am convinced that many on the left are ultimately consequentialists. This example is just a corollary of their “ends justify the means” attitude.

I send my children to charter schools. Their admissions requirements included no expulsions from any school, no criminal history, and that any previous suspensions not be for violent behavior or related to drug use/possession. If the Delaware schools policies are the same I can’t see how that’s a promotion of discrimination.

Because, in the eyes of those bringing the lawsuit, if such a policy leads to less minority children being admitted, then it is clearly discriminatory. Duh!

It’s only about the ends (i.e. “diversity”). If the ends are not achieved, then the means are clearly discriminatory.

:thumbsup:

Pretty much this.

The whole "tolerance’ and “diversity” mindset doesn’t give a flip about what’s actually best for the students, or what factors play into the apparent “discrimination,” they only care about appearances. Case in point, when they cry racism because the majority of arrests in a city are of low-income black individuals. Obviously it has nothing to do with the fact that those are the individuals committing crimes, no no no, of course it’s because our police force is racist and only cares about keeping black people down…

Honestly, I think both are true. Yes, low income black folks are the ones committing crimes at a higher rate and yes, some police are racist.

The complaint that was raised in the article is that poor community charter schools have a higher population of black students and those schools aren’t performing as well. This is true for both the traditional public school district and the charter schools in the same area. First, a lot of those low income parents are working long hours and can’t/don’t want to be as involved in their child’s education. Second, some of those low income parents just don’t care at all, don’t value education, and don’t impose any kind of discipline. So, of course those schools are failing.

The solution is not to force schools to accept students with a history of problems. The solution is to work within the community of origin to change how the parents view education, how the students view education, and to get the parents involved in actually raising their kids. Taking troubled kids out of their community and sending them to a different school won’t do a darn thing if their parents are still too busy or uninterested.

It must be pointed out that the philosophy of education, represented by people such as Sec. Arne Duncan, includes a significant opposition to charter schools on principle. My sense is that, for some, if this is a weapon by which an end to charter schools can be brought about, even if it is not true, then the ends certainly will justify the means.

Jon

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.