Chase bank surveys workers to see if they’re ‘ally of the LGBT community’

washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/3/chase-bank-surveys-workers-see-if-theyre-ally-lgbt/

also more information on here as well:

lifesitenews.com/news/jpmorgan-chase-asks-staff-to-identify-if-theyre-lgbt-allies-employees

This is appalling.

This will have a backlash eventually.

Have faith and pray for God’s mercy on this nation.

It isn’t surprising given the cultural trend, and it could be benign. Of course, I’m an optimist.

May the Lord have mercy on this world. That’s all I can say. :frowning:

Get your credit cards else where and let them chase their politics.

The article is a little ridiculous. You enter your employee ID for three reasons: 1. So that only employees take it. 2. So that an employee can only take the survey once. 3. So the firm can determine what the employee participation rate was. Your answers in the survey ARE confidential. There are plenty of other questions/answers that would be FAR more likely to invite retaliation if they weren’t; such as employee satisfaction with management, how well management complies with firm policies, and free-form questions about your LOB. Some people are always looking for a boogeyman where none exists. :rolleyes:

This is illegal and should be stopped. It is not an employers business at all.

Under what provision of what law?

It’s not illegal.

Maybe employers shouldn’t ask it and it’s not work-related, but it’s not illegal discrimination. It doesn’t involve any of the legally protected classes.

“Are you … an ally of the LGBT community, but not personally identifying as LGBT?”
What does it mean to be an ally of the LGBT community? I think that is the central question.

Does it mean that an individual supports gay rights? Or does it mean that the individual is active in supporting gay rights, even though they are not gay? I think the distinction is important.

How is it any of Chase’s business to ask its employees “Are you … an ally of the LGBT community, but not personally identifying as LGBT?”

We truly are living in a Sharia like society where LGBTQ are the one’s enforcing their own sharia law.

To be brutally honest I think we are becoming too nice to them and should return some of their own medicine.

According to the Washington Times news article, the company was trying to assess employee satisfaction. The survey asked if an employee was a member of a minority group, or closely associated with that minority group.

[T]his year’s company survey — which is distributed to employees annually as a means of gauging work satisfaction — asked respondents to note if they were disabled, had children or spouses and domestic spouses with disabilities and were members of the LGBT community,

The controversy is over the wording of the next question. It asked if the employee is an ally of the LGBT community. Does that question pressure employees to take a position they wouldn’t otherwise, or is the intent to gauge employee involvement in the LGBT community? Clearly, the employee who complained feels distressed by question. I think the company needs to be more clear about its intent.

Being an ally is pretty straightforward. It just means a straight person who supports gay marriage.

And I’d be surprised if this was confidential Napoleon; my first thought was the LGBT Career Fair they hold every year. Usually companies that hold them ask around to see who would be most comfortable (and thus make those at the event most comfortable) attending the Fairs as employees or mentors.

Either way there’s nothing remotely nefarious about it. People just get worked up over everything nowadays. Soon we’ll see people yelling that gay people shouldn’t be in breakfast restaurants because them eating a bagel with their partner is “discrimination against Christians” or something similarly stupid.

We are friends of the LGBT community. We want what’s best for them don’t we.:shrug:

ATB

So you support Gay marriage and people who financially donate to organizations who support the traditional and true definition of marriage can be legitimately be fired?

Please. I suppose to answer yes to “Are you an ally of Al Qaeda?” as well then, because we want what’s best for everyone…

I can’t judge their intent, but the question is insanely worded and has no place in a company’s environment. Talk about a person being afraid of answering the wrong way…

I think you are wrong. These types of questions don’t need to be asked at all, including employee satisfaction with management. What people believe in terms of God and Faith, politics and how the management is doing is no one’s business. The only thing an employer should be concerned with is work performance issues such as accuracy, punctuality, attendance, work quality, behavior on the job. The rest of it is nonsense and condoned spying. It is disgusting.

That explains it.

While the company could have been more clear, this isn’t something people should have been up in arms about.

And you’re right about “Christians” getting up in arms about gays over nothing. “Christians” (some) will say the most vile and awful things about gays and then turn to gays and call them “bigots.”

This is absolutely correct. I have worked on many of these surveys for large companies. In fact, in most cases, the raw data is handled by an outside company and management receives summary reports only.

I would add #4 as one of the reasons for entering the employee ID. Since I know that the “ally” question is not the only topic of the survey, employee numbers help to group responses together to give management an idea of where issues or concerns might be by department or geographic location. (For example, employees in the branches might show a high level of satisfaction with training while employees in customer service departments might not.)

I am fairly conversant in employee law and do not know of any state in which this would be illegal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.