Cheap Catholic Books?

Here in Australia books are very expensive and I dont have a credit card … and Amazon will not accept Paypal which is my only means of paying via internet. I can’t use eBay and would rather not become involved in it at all.

I’m wondering if anyone knows of an online source of cheap mainly Catholic books and religious subjects (theology and Scripture related) including spiritual books that I can purchase online via PayPal. I am not adverse to good condition second hand books either. A source of the same for CD’s and DVD’s also appreciated and I love music…especially - yep you gueesed it:thumbsup: - religious music i.e. gregorian chant…other than that classical music.

My computer is very basic and I have no sound, nor can I watch video etc. online. Only tap out endless reems of typing:D

I spend a small fortune for me on books here in Australia.:frowning:

Other than that…am I in the right forum:confused:

Barb:)

Some places do accept money orders. I’m not sure which ones do, though.

Well, I can’t help you with buying online but if all you have is your PC there are free e-books you can get. Go to: saints.sqpn.com/indexebk.htm
They have a lot of classics but also more recent stuff. They are in different formats like .html, which your browser can handle, .pdf and many are for Microsoft Reader which is free.

Thank you both very much:thumbsup:

What about emailing them at Catholic Answers? Costumer Service that is…

Never thought of that…thank you!:thumbsup: I am taking it that I will find Customer Service easily on the Home Page for CAF?

Have you tried searching through paypal?

paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_shop-ext

And Barnes & Noble takes paypal, I think. (Don’t know how good their selection is, or anything about shipping to Australia though.)

Good Luck!!

I’m not sure if this will help, but I often use campusi.com (which has now become DealOz.com). You can search for a particular book or search by topic. Once you select a particular book, the site, in turn, searches hundreds of online bookstores and lists them in order from cheapest to most expensive (including used copies) for that book. I suppose you’d have to use trial and error to see which online places accept paypal.

Thank you, Joe…everything is a help. The above looks excellent and worth trying. I have placed an order here in Australia for $60 worth of books and about to place another $40 for another book I would like. If I could purchase them online certainly on Amazon (which will not accept paypal) I would pay at least half the cost. $100 is a lot of money for me.

I know if I had a credit card I would be a danger to myself financially. Cash keeps me honest!:smiley:

Barb:)

Hi Amy…I had a look at Catholic Answers Bookshop and it seems they do not accept PayPal although they actually do not state that - the option to use PayPal simply is not mentioned.

I have sent them an email asking them if I could pay PayPal and if not, is there any plans to include this payment option in the future.

Thank you for the nudge again:thumbsup: …Barb:)

Checked out DealOz, Joe, and had a wander round the site and it looks quite good indeed…as you say I would have to check out whether I can pay via PayPal or not with individual sites.

Thank you…Barb:)

I thought of another idea. I’m not sure if they do this in Australia, but here in the U.S., you can get pre-paid Visa gift cards/debit cards. Looking on the Visa website, it looks like it may only be available to those in the U.S., but perhaps ther is an equivalent in Australia.

Actually, I just added “Australia” to my google search and found the Australian version: prepaidvisacard.com.au/

If you could order one of these Visa gift cards online with paypal (or even in person at a local store), then you could use the gift card on Amazon just as you would a normal credit card. At least, I think you probably could. In any case, it might be worth looking into.

Thanks very much again for your trouble, Joe. :thumbsup: I will make enquiries if I can purchase online with Visa gift cards and especially Amazon which has very cheap books.

Or if anyone else knows, please do let me know!

Blessed Advent…Barb:o

Here is a site that has tons of DVDs for sale and does accept PayPal, and ships internationally: catholictelevision.org/

Also - they have a huge number of podcasts you can listen to for free: Podcasts and Media

EDIT: oh drat, I just re-read your post that you don’t have sound. :frowning: Well, I’ll keep this here in case anyone else is interested.

I’m sorry. :o

~Liza

Thank you, Liza…I hope to get sound at some point so the link is helpful to me:thumbsup:

Hi Barb. From one book hound to another—I understand. I had to make myself a rule ----I am NOT ALLOWED to buy books with a credit card anymore. I just get too book happy and it gets bad.
If I make myself go through a few hoops for a book then I am much more likely to think it through rather than click-and-buy. Sometimes I make myself go down to Borders or B&N (where I am usually taken aback at the difference between their prices and Amazon) and buy it there just to tame the bookhound in me.

Check with Amazon customer service to see if they have begun to sell gift cards in Australia. There are several stores in the US which sell Amazon gift cards, so perhaps they are planning to sell them in Australia (or have already started doing so).

Amazon gift cards are very easy to use and they in effect do not cost money—you pay for exactly how much the card is worth at Amazon.

If you cannot find a store which sells them, consider having a friend buy them online at Amazon for you and then paying that friend cash.
If you have a friend in the US that person can buy them in a store and send them to you as well.

But isn’t PayPal just a pre-approved access into a bank account or credit card? If you are using a bank account for paypal then I’m pretty sure you could just do a similar setup with Amazon–i.e., using a bank debit card instead of paypal. {LATE EDIT–NEVERMIND ON THIS ONE–Amazon only accepts US-based bank accounts–I’ll leave the info just in case the question would have come up]

Also consider abebooks.com which has a wide selection of all types of books. Mostly used but lots new. Most of the sellers there take money orders and paypal etc. I’ve gotten many a good deal on new, used, out-of-print, and rare books at Abebooks.

Alibris, another new/used buyer-seller connector, takes paypal, athough I more often than not have found better selection & price on Abebooks.

Someone already mentioned Catholic Answers which takes money orders and checks.

Ignatius Press (ignatius.com) has a great selection. Not sure if they take paypal, but they accept checks/money orders. Every once in a while they will have a sale which will blow your mind but not your wallet—you literally might buy a dozen books you’ve long wanted for $50-$60 or so.

AllCatholicBooks.com has a fair selection. They accept paypal.

TAN books has many great cheaper books. Not sure about paypal.

Our Sunday Visitor (osv.com) has a good selection.

One great resource to consider is a Pauline Books and Media store run by the Pauline sisters. Great selection of books, music, bibles, all sorts of Catholic things. They have stores in Australia, so check your area. Their prices are fair, if not as cheap as Amazon, but they often have things on sale without notice. Two weeks ago at our local Pauline store I bought a great book on the Eucharist for literally $2.50. (I was prepared to pay the tagged price of $12 or something). Plus—you get the added beneift of helping their order and their stores have a little chapel with the Blessed Sacrament.

Pauline stores in Australia: paulinebooks.com.au./location/index.html

One great resource to consider is a Pauline Books and Media store run by the Pauline sisters. Great selection of books, music, bibles, all sorts of Catholic things. They have stores in Australia, so check your area. Their prices are fair, if not as cheap as Amazon, but they often have things on sale without notice. Two weeks ago at our local Pauline store I bought a great book on the Eucharist for literally $2.50. (I was prepared to pay the tagged price of $12 or something). Plus—you get the added beneift of helping their order and their stores have a little chapel with the Blessed Sacrament.

Pauline stores in Australia: paulinebooks.com.au./location/index.html

Wow! Thanks for all that information. I have been a customer of Pauline Books for many a year indeed and they are very good to me and on the odd occasions when I get into the city and visit their store, I love their little in store chapel. However, I rarely do get into the city and I order from Pauline via email and they post out my order. I can pay them via bank transfer from my bank to theirs.

Apparently around July 2009 my bank will be bringing out a debit card that I can operate on my savings bank account which I will be able to use exactly like a credit card. I hope this will prove so!

Thank you again for all the trouble you have gone to…Barb:)

Oh, gosh,no trouble Barb.

I love talking books. I love searching for books. I love reading up on books. I love reading customer reviews on books. I love buying books. Every once in a while I actually read one or two of the ones I buy. :wink:

a lot of the Catholic sites I buy books from have on line catalogs, and I just print off my order form and mail it with a check. you may have to call if the order will originate from outside our home country, for prices, postage, tax info as it applies to your order. I just don’t use a credit card any more for online purchases, and leave on line bill-paying to dh because his computer has firewall and other protections. I still deal with some used and antique bookstores that let me order on my personal credit but that is because I already have established relationships with them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.