Cheap red meat helps to kill off Glasgow's poorest men 30 years early

The recommended consumption is nonsense and based on junk science. The USDA recommendation have always been political, not scientific.

Even Salon knows this!

salon.com/2015/04/12/the_fdas_phony_nutrition_science_how_big_food_and_agriculture_trumps_real_science_and_why_the_government_allows_it/

time.com/3668154/should-i-eat-red-meat/

Other experts think meat currently has far too big a place in the diet and should be limited to 1 time per week or less, according to Julia Zumpano, an RD at Cleveland Clinic’s Heart & Vascular Institute. The best cuts are the leanest ones, like loin, tenderloin, sirloin, filet or flank, she says.

“Studies find a strong association between processed meat and bad outcomes, but no such association for pure meat,” says David Katz, MD, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center.

I eat meat, fish, and/or eggs every day. Minimal veggies, no grains, so sugar. My blood sugar is better than it’s ever been. As a T2 diabetic who can’t tolerate meds, and can’t afford the meds I might be able to tolerate, this is good news!

And I’m not eating top-drawer meats either - can’t afford the special stuff, so it’s lots of ground beef on sale & pot roasts. I do have my own chickens for eggs & will soon be back into rabbits again.

Perhaps they should have eaten beef hearts. Cheap meat, nutrition profile doesn’t seem that bad. Quite tasty too.

I am not a vegan, but I don’t eat red meat. An occasional steak, hamburger, etc. isn’t going to hurt anyone, though. Most red meat is filled with hormones and antibiotics that aren’t good for anyone, though.

I eat fresh fruits and fresh vegetables and grains and some tuna or salmon (ocean, not farmed). Everything organic. No cow’s milk! Filled with hormones and antibiotics as well. I use almond or cashew milk. Nothing processed or with preservatives!

Absolutely no social status involved. It’s all health, and people who eat a vegetarian diet usually look many, many years younger than they are. Just an added bonus. :wink:

Red meat ages people just like smoking does.

And yes, an organic vegetarian diet is very expensive!

“Vegetarians tend to eat fewer calories, since grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, volume-for-volume, tend to be lower in calories than meat and poultry. Studies have shown that as long as their diet is balanced and nutritious, the people who consume fewer total daily calories live longer and healthier lives. Aug 9, 2013”

Such “experts” are wrong.

You think people should eat cuts of meat that are filled with fat? They shouldn’t.

One sentence in the articles references the lack of fruits and vegetables in the diet - am I the only one who thinks that perchance it’s less about what one eats than what one does not eat?

I have lived long enough to see every kind of diet recommendation come and go and one can find a study to back almost any argument. The one constant that does not seem to be argued with is eating a variety of basically natural foods for an extended time - be that grass fed beef, raw carrots, whole grain breads, seafood, dairy, etc.

Add in the research that is finally beginning to recognize that each individual is indeed unique in how they process medications (and one may assume nutrients in food) and to me all this fuss over finding a magic rule that creates a diet that works perfectly for everyone to obtain perfect health is a waste of time.

Sugary baked goods are terrible for people. I have a sweet tooth, though, so will eat a few shortbread or peanut butter cookies over the weekend. Weekdays, if I feel like something sweet I drink cold coconut water. It’s delicious.

And every weekend I treat myself to a banana smoothie or a peanut butter chocolate smoothie.

I feel extremes are never good, hence, the tuna and salmon in an otherwise vegetarian diet, and a few sweets on weekends only.

I think people should eat what makes them feel better. I do better with plenty of fatty meat, fish, & eggs. Others do well on a vegetarian diet. Each to their own. :slight_smile:

Actually your talking a different point than basically Lilly and I have discussed and the OP, which is red-meat and processed meat.

I don’t disagree with much stated in your article about sugar or the idea one can build a low-carb meat and veggie diet that indeed may be productive.

What we are discussing isn’t really mutually exclusive but more specifically targets red meat and processed meat and defined.

I don’t like chicken or turkey so don’t eat them, but I think a little can be good for a person if they aren’t filled with antibiotics and hormones. Same for tuna and salmon. They are filled with omega-3s and 6s, but if farmed, they will do a person more harm than good. I do eat the tuna and salmon as long as it is ocean fish.

if they aren’t filled with antibiotics and hormones.

That and the daily sodium intake. I think the trend towards stomach belts and one day surgery is concerning though. What I have seen with this isn’t better eating habits but more sugar consumption basically since the sugar dissolves quickly and is easy to swallow.

That said the actual article seems to place a myopic view on poverty/poor and health when in truth for example here in the USA obesity is an issue because of not poverty, but in essence a prosperous society.

Hey Pat, I was hoping someone from Glasgow would weigh in. So from your comment I gather that the article is basically accurate, I mean as far as a huge difference in lifespans between rich and poor, or well-off and poor, are concerned. It’s the same story here in the U.S. when it comes to Indian reservations. One of my friends is an engineer at Boeing who makes an extremely good living, but he’s from Pine Ridge, and that’s where his family still lives. I’ve actually been there with him, and it’s grim. Life expectancy is 48 or 50 for males, and a few years more for females. I’ve been told that at other reservations it isn’t quite as bad, but it’s close. Once people leave the reservations, though, and live somewhere else, then the average life expectancy goes up almost to the normal U.S. life expectancy, which is decades and decades longer.

As far as poverty in Glasgow goes, I would guess that it’s like here, where people who are raised in poverty often keep the same eating habits they grew up with throughout their lives. Because even though everyone knows cheap greasy hamburgers are unhealthy, it doesn’t necessarily change something as deep-seated as inter-generational poverty, which is surely something that’s pretty complicated. Maybe someone could get rich by starting a chain of cheap, tasty and healthy sandwich shops in Glasgow, who knows.

I agree.

where people who are raised in poverty often keep the same eating habits they grew up with throughout their lives. Because even though everyone knows cheap greasy hamburgers are unhealthy, it doesn’t necessarily change something as deep-seated as inter-generational poverty, which is surely something that’s pretty complicated. Maybe someone could get rich by starting a chain of cheap, tasty and healthy

Good observation, I would say “Subway” wasn’t it nor is “Mc Donalds” here. :slight_smile: Theres a real need for a fast food here with a healthy diet

Maybe someone could get rich by starting a chain of cheap, tasty and healthy

Its also a matter of acquiring taste, I know that sounds cliche but its true as with a veggie or fish diet. I still had to force myself to eat peas yet in time have become quite fond of pea soup. However, this also becomes a good habit. I went from telling mom I really don’t “want” to eat the fri fish to basically living off it as an adult. If I have to pick a primary food source to survive fish and veggies would be the start of it. Lilly outlined a very good diet above and I think in general women are more inclined to do this, though it does seem out of need and health men catch up.

Doubt if he would get rich. A relative had the brilliant idea of changing the menu of his food cart to feature mostly healthful foods. He nearly went broke. Changed back & last I heard is doing well.

Well, it has to be possible to find healthy foods that are at least almost as appealing as unhealthy foods. Avocado-based foods can be like that, for instance, and I bet there aren’t a whole lot of top-shelf Mexican joints in Glasgow. :shrug: That’s just a guess, though; I’ve never actually been to Glasgow. But there are definitely simple and relatively painless ways to sidestep cheap, fast, toxic foods. I think that hard drinkers who switch to nothing but red wine could potentially add many years to their lives just by doing that alone. Add a few fruits and vegetables each day, and one would probably be a lot better off.

There’s a low carb food cart (& restaurant) in Portland - the Cultured Caveman. I’m definitely trying that next time I’m there!

A couple years ago I ate at the food cart hub (or whatever it’s called) in SE Portland. One cart had the closest to low carb - all I had to do was ask him to leave off the rice. He suggested extra greens instead. Excellent. :slight_smile:

Oh, Portland has a bunch of really good ones about a block or so from the central library. There’s a small park-ish area where a whole bunch of them congregate together. I carefully avoid all of them here in Seattle, though. The ones here seem pretty sketchy to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.