Cheating without cheating?

I went to confession tonight and during, I remembered that I looked at another girl’s answers on a test. I did not cheat, just look. I also did not confess it.

Looking back, I probably should have just to be on the safe side. Should I back go to confession tomorrow? I don’t want to receive the body and blood in a state of mortal sin.

Thanks!

=redredsox;7390954]I went to confession tonight and during, I remembered that I looked at another girl’s answers on a test. I did not cheat, just look. I also did not confess it.

Looking back, I probably should have just to be on the safe side. Should I back go to confession tomorrow? I don’t want to receive the body and blood in a state of mortal sin.

Thanks!

Not done, … no sin in this case. It would have been a sin if you did cheat. But this is NOT serious matter unless an issue like being able to graduate or not or other circumstances raises the lvel of importane significantly. So it would not have been a Mortal sin; and therefore in an absolute sense did not HAVE to be confessed.

My friend, God and I appreciate your candor, BUT in order for anything to be a Mortal sin it must always and everytime meet these conditions:

**Serious Matter **like abortion, contraceptive sex, sex outside marrige, murder, ruinging the good name of another, EXtreme jealousy, missing Sunday or holyday Mass intentioanlly,stealing a signifiant amout of money or something of GREAT value, EXtrerme anger, any SEROUS lack of charity and the like.

Then one must be aware of this before comiting the act. Guessing you committed a serious sin of a non-serious matter is NOTa Mortal sin. It MUST BE GRAVE MATTER.

Then One one MUST FREELY wish to commit the act anyway.

If your in doubt, it’s NOTa Mortal sin, BUT do discuss he isue with yor Confessor so next tim you’ll know for sure.

God’s continud Blessings,
Pat

I always ask to be forgiven for the sins I cannot recall at the moment during confessions, just to cover my bases :)

It's not a sin to look at someone else's test, as long as you don't use the knowledge you get from doing so.

What if I had intended to cheat, but, in the end, I decided to keep/figure out my own answers?

Does the intent make it a grave matter?

=redredsox;7391692]What if I had intended to cheat, but, in the end, I decided to keep/figure out my own answers?

Does the intent make it a grave matter?

No, it actualy MUST BE a grave matter.

The test for grave matter is kinda / sorta like this..

IF one were to ask a 100 people at ramdom how many would say it was a grave matter?

Now if one where to ask the same group is MURDER a serious / grave matter?

The number saying yes to BOTH questions would have to be close to the same for BOTH issues to be serious matter.

HOPE this helps you?

God Bless,

[quote="redredsox, post:1, topic:223559"]
I went to confession tonight and during, I remembered that I looked at another girl's answers on a test. I did not cheat, just look. I also did not confess it.

Looking back, I probably should have just to be on the safe side. Should I back go to confession tomorrow? I don't want to receive the body and blood in a state of mortal sin.

Thanks!

[/quote]

well maybe it depends on what your intention was.. were you just looking around the room thinking and then saw her answers by mistake? (happened to me). Or, did you look at her answers with the intention of seeing what they are? If it's the 2nd one, I'd go to Confession just to be safe :) I don't know if it's grave matter or not, but sometimes I find it helps me to confess things that are venial - just so that when I receive Jesus, I don't have to wonder about my sins and just spend that time with Him after Communion.

Well I decided that it was best to just confess it, even if may have been venial.

That little voice in my head (I think we all know who) told me I should. I felt soooo relieved afterwards, almost to the point of tears.

Confession is a great thing!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.