Chechnya leader Kadyrov calls for war on Putin's critics [AFP]

Chechnya leader Kadyrov calls for war on Putin’s critics

Moscow (AFP) - The strongman leader of Russia’s Chechnya region Ramzan Kadyrov on Tuesday threatened to eradicate the “enemy” opposition in Russia, raising more concerns about the fate of Kremlin critics and independent media in the country.

Kadyrov, who rules with an iron grip the North Caucasus region that was the scene of two separatist wars, penned a lengthy diatribe in pro-Kremlin daily Izvestiya against the critics of President Vladimir Putin, calling them a “gang of jackals” who “dream of destroying our state.”

“We will save Russia if we don’t spare the enemy,” Kadyrov wrote, calling himself “Putin’s foot soldier” and offering to put the opposition in a Chechen asylum where “there won’t be a shortage of injections.”

The latest broadside by former rebel Kadyrov – accused by human rights groups of overseeing torture, extrajudicial executions and corruption – came after he last week called the country’s liberal independent media “enemies of Russia” that seek to sow “chaos” in the Caucasus and beyond.

The remarks caused a furore and several people publically criticised Kadyrov, with one local lawmaker in Siberia Konstantin Senchenko calling the Chechen strongman “the shame of Russia” for amassing vast personal wealth and abusing his political post.

Senchenko later apologised, writing that he “talked to some Chechen people and became convinced in the authority of the leader of Chechnya,” in comments that were interpreted by many as a thinly-veiled announcement that he had received threats on his life.

Several people who have challenged Kadyrov’s grip on power have been killed in the past, including investigative reporter Anna Politkovskaya and rights activist Natalia Estemirova.

Chechens are also thought to be behind the murder of opposition critic Boris Nemtsov who was gunned down last February next to the Kremlin, and two suspects are reportedly linked to an armed squad answerable to Kadyrov.

Editor of liberal Echo of Moscow radio, which has been targeted by Kadyrov’s recent rhetoric, said he is seeking to beef up security at the station.

Read More At: news.yahoo.com/chechnya-leader-kadyrov-calls-war-putins-critics-132743392.html?nf=1

With its threatening and vulgar language, the post was seen by critics of Kadyrov as the latest evidence that he and his lieutenants are increasingly out of control and must be reined in by Putin, who has relied on the former separatist fighter for years to keep a lid on restive Chechnya. It came days after a lawmaker in Siberia was forced to apologize after calling Kadyrov a “disgrace” to Russia.

In the post, Daudov singled out prominent Russian liberal opposition politicians, activists, and journalists by giving them nicknames inspired by dog breeds. Those targeted included Igor Kalypin, head of the Committee to Prevent Torture; Aleksei Veneditkov, editor in chief of radio station Ekho Moskvy; human rights activist Lev Ponomaryov; and opposition activist Ilya Yashin.

Read More At: rferl.org/content/chechnya-kadyrov-instagram-threats-attack-dog-russian-opposition/27494978.html

Well, it looks like this Russian mystery-thriller is a never ending story.

Oh indeed, Americas always enjoy it. It takes their mind off troubles at home it appears.

Actually, it’s like it says on the tin, Guv’nor, this is a discussion forum.

I have posted on US coalition strikes hitting civilians, I reported on the doctor in Georgia accused of giving his patients drug overdoses. I posted on the zika virus out of South America and everything.

Troubles, we got plenty. If you need some just ask. Seems like we are the only ones with troubles that we brought on ourselves for our entire history (according to some). Its true the troubles one brings on themself are the worst.

Maybe things will get better again.

A a moment of mockney there, most droll sir.

Actually, a counterbalance for the Russian people is in order; versus those who seem to stand up for the Russian government and indeed, would retort with what can be seen as lines of propaganda.

And mockney, no. They say such in the North.

I suppose this is “news” but isn’t Ramzan regularly making threats like this, sometimes using his Instagram account? I’m sure he appreciates that Russia isn’t attacking Chechnya for a change but anyone, Russian or Chechen, who appears to have a different opinion different than his, vanishes. Chechans live under the oppression of Sharia law and Russia; at least with Ramzan in Putin’s pocket they aren’t being threatened by Russia/New Soviet Union. For the time being anyway.

But reports would be Chechens have it hard under Kadyrov.

And sure, there must be some Sharia law there and, polygamous marriages and arranged teen marriages have been reported when we always hear how Russia is so upstanding regarding marriage.

Putin is the capo di tutti capi and Kadyrov is one of his caporegimes. Not much more to know.

Chechnya was not always radical and there were more Sufi than Wahhabi but now Ramzan has imposed Sharia law there. I haven’t heard of polygamous marriages but bride kidnappings have been a long tradition but some believe it is increasing under Ramzan even though I’ve read he discourages it.

I guess I wasn’t clear; yes, Chechens do have it hard under Ramzan. Any dissent results in people disappearing, sometimes whole families. That’s what always happens; whomever is considered an insurgent and whomever carries out the punishment are always variables but someone is going to be tortured and killed. Best to inform on your neighbor lest it’s you that looks like you have something to hide.

Ugh. I can’t imagine living like that. There is research that shows that children of those who survived the Holocaust carry the trauma in their genes. I can’t imagine the trauma those who have managed to survived under soviet or soviet-lite “leadership” must carry in their genes.

ETA: I just read up on polygamous marriages and it jogged my memory. This is another of the concessions that Putin is is allowing Ramzan for keeping his people in line.

Wow
Anyone know the history of the Chechens in Russia;
That is, like where they stood in the 1918 Revolution?

PS:
On #2 thought better stay out of this thread Rex
(my dog’s name). :stuck_out_tongue:

Washington Post story, it is a bit unnerving if not chilling:

In Russia, rhetoric from Putin ally stokes fear of new assassinations

MOSCOW — Nearly a year after the assassination of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, a senior ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin is again calling for a harsh crackdown on the Kremlin’s opponents.

The comments — made by Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of the Russian region of Chechnya, over the past week and culminating Tuesday with the suggestion that Putin’s opponents should be sent to “a good psychiatric hospital” — echo the harsh anti-opposition rhetoric that flared in Russia early last year. At the time, Putin’s supporters took to the streets of Moscow to threaten violence against those seen as favoring peace with Ukraine. On Feb. 27, Nemtsov was assassinated in the shadow of the Kremlin in one of the highest-profile political murders since the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Russian authorities have prosecuted Chechens with links to Kadyrov for the killing. They have not officially traced it back to Kadyrov, and he has denied any responsibility. But Western diplomats, opposition activists and even some senior Russian officials say privately that they believe that the orders came from the very top in Chechnya.

That has some of those named by Kadyrov — most of whom are allies of Nemtsov — taking the Chechen leader’s campaign seriously. The strongman controls a security force of heavily armed fighters who operate largely with impunity in Chechnya and in Moscow. Chechens have been tied to other murders of Kremlin critics, including opposition journalist Anna Politkovskaya, although Kadyrov has never been officially implicated in any of them.

Opposition leaders are “jackals who are dreaming of destroying our state,” Kadyrov wrote in an editorial published Tuesday by the pro-Kremlin newspaper Izvestia.

washingtonpost.com/world/in-russia-violent-rhetoric-from-putin-ally-stokes-fear-of-new-assassinations/2016/01/19/6c94544e-bebb-11e5-98c8-7fab78677d51_story.html

Russia does have a lot of different press agencies and newspapers. There are definitely a few that go against the current.

I don’t know. I do know, however, that Stalin exiled a lot of them and sent many to the Gulags. Ironically, they were a serious problem for the Gulags because they were largely impenetrable by stoolies, and had their own leadership which would order assassinations that would be relentlessly carried out. If one assassin failed, then another would take it up. Even the guards and camp chiefs were afraid of them.

Pertaining to their theological history, Chechens got shuffled around by the Mongols living as pagans for many years with a little incursion of Christianity way back;

But however, Chechens basically ended up as Islamic Jews
And way back in the Russian revolution of 1918 the Chechens supported the Bolsheviks.

If it’s true that “history repeats itself”, watch your back Putin …
imagine as I’ve read somewhere Putin being succeeded by Ramzan Kadyrov. :eek:

rex

And then Stalin was deporting them, the same as Ingush people also.Chechens in the past centuries, dared to iritate the Russian Empire, and in the two wars after the collapse of USSR, could even break the Russian Empire. Fathers fought against the empire and sons fighting for empire. But what is interesting that the women there over 20 years has completely restored the country’s population.
To be honest, I only now understand the significance of those events of Chechen War for today’s history, for - the weaker Russia the easier for Eastern European countries to integrate into the EU.
And now, in the face of Mr Putin, we have a monster that threatens and terorrorizing the neighboring countries.
Maybe for the pro-Russian and post-Soviet elites of the Caucasus, the Russia is the banner of democracy but comparably with EU membership, what the Russia could give to its east european neighbors except fear, corruption, authoritarianism, lies, and blown aura of greatness and strength.

Yea, but I think that there in Muslim Caucasus, instead of Russian Federation the other option can be only Islamic State -Caucasian caliphate in alliance with other North Caucasian republics. The same fate might face the ex-soviet Central Asian countries as well.
The post-soviet dictatorships will collapse in Central Asia just because the Islam is rizing-up there and the ruling elites there did not satisfy the needs of the time. Therefore, most likely Russians will go out from there. I mean, that unfortunately in those regions under any scenario is not even planned the vitory of some democratic powers.

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.