Checking Out Children's Books

Good idea to read the book or check the blurb before purchasing. Picked up one for an 8 yr. old girl. Blurb gave idea of book about a girl who returns home from summer camp to her Mom and Mom's live-in bf. That wasn't the idea of the book. I didn't read any further. So much for family values.

Rush Limbaugh had a caller on yesterday who discussed "How to Get Married by Me, the Bride". Book is for 4-8 yr. olds. By Sally Lloyd and nicely illustrated by Sue Heap. Published by Schwartz-Wade 4/09. Thing is the book says one can marry one's dog, a flower, one's teacher and one's father!!!. What's with this? From the little I read on Amazon, some things are cute like no one is going to marry you if you don't take a bath. But what's with suggesting one can marry one's father or teacher not to mention the flower and the pet. Oddly, Lloyd wrote another book which is an illustrated Bible for kids. So you never know, do you. Read the reviews on "How to Get Married". Most questioned how it even got published.

About the second book. Children often expres things or are told things they don't understand RE: dog and flower.

Child: I LOVE my dog
Adult: well then you should marry it

now weither a child would ever take this seriously is something that's beyond me. But if you asked a child what you can't marry a good number, I think, would name their dog, a doll, a tree, etc.

As far as you can't marry your teacher. I've yet to meet a young boy who, at some point wasn't smitten by a preschool or kindergarden teacher if she was kind.

As far as you can't marry your mother/father. I think that many children have an oedipus complex when they are little. Not all, but certainly some. Those little girls with good Daddies do want a marriage like their parents and I've seen some tell their dad they're marrying them. Of course Dad has to sit the little girl down and say they can't. But even in a well rounded family this occurs...I'd say ESPECALLY in a well rounded family.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:2, topic:179448"]
About the second book. Children often expres things or are told things they don't understand RE: dog and flower.

Child: I LOVE my dog
Adult: well then you should marry it

now weither a child would ever take this seriously is something that's beyond me. But if you asked a child what you can't marry a good number, I think, would name their dog, a doll, a tree, etc.

As far as you can't marry your teacher. I've yet to meet a young boy who, at some point wasn't smitten by a preschool or kindergarden teacher if she was kind.

As far as you can't marry your mother/father. I think that many children have an oedipus complex when they are little. Not all, but certainly some. Those little girls with good Daddies do want a marriage like their parents and I've seen some tell their dad they're marrying them. Of course Dad has to sit the little girl down and say they can't. But even in a well rounded family this occurs...I'd say ESPECALLY in a well rounded family.

[/quote]

There is absolutely no reason why a writer should tell a child she can marry her father nor encourage any crush on an adult. The written word from some writer in a children's book gives validation to improper and taboo relationships through which a pedophile can manipulate a kid.

Read the reviews on Amazon. There are about 10 reviews plus the lady on Rush. All but one said it was trash, against traditional marriage (it has been under attack), and "creepy". The pro review was from the author's friend who defended her as a good Christian citing the fact she did author a children's Bible. It isn't just the author. It is also the responsibility of the editors and the publisher.

Yes, it is normal for kids to have crushes and think they'll grow up to marry either their Mom or their Dad. And the ususal answer is Daddy is already married to Mommy.

[quote="aicirt, post:1, topic:179448"]
Good idea to read the book or check the blurb before purchasing.

[/quote]

Ya think!?! :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.