Cheese_sdc's statements about a changing Church

[quote=cheese_sdc]The Church is a living, breathing organism that can change. It is not perfect, it is being perfected. So that leaves some room for growth and change. The Church is also heavily influenced by the culture around it (and that’s not necessarily a bad thing). We need to open our eyes to be able to say: this thing is not right; let’s tweak it this way and see what happens.

I don’t hold with the idea that the church is an unchanging monolith of an organization. It makes mistakes, and by the grace of God, muddles through them.
[/quote]

The deposit of faith and morals is unchanging. God doesn’t change depending on what human culture is at that time. He exists outside time and therefore the difference between right and wrong is constant.

**Amen. The only thing that is changeable is the Liturgy at times. It doesn’t mean that the mass is invalid or wrong, it just means that the Liturgy can always be made better and also accomodate the contemporary culture without hurting the liturgy. I would like to have the mass be made that the congregation and the priest faced East. ****When it comes to matters of teaching faith and morals the Church is infallible. It can not err. **

Yes, Faith and morals issues do not change. But disciplines can. Take a look at the changing the Mass from Latin to the vernacular, for example.

Notworthy

Honestly, I’d hate to take cheese’s meaning out of context…and I’d hate it if someone started a thread with my name at the top… :o

:bigyikes: Maybe it is deserving I just read that thread about civil rights and the church in 1960

If he is talking about faith and morals, of coarse he is incorrect.
But, I hear that Pope Benedict might make some changes that have something to do with vatican II that never were enforced proprerly…

[quote=Lillith]Honestly, I’d hate to take cheese’s meaning out of context…and I’d hate it if someone started a thread with my name at the top…
[/quote]

It happens all the time. Just ask Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, and Jude (to name a few).

I hope that cheese understands the difference between “growth” (which the Church CAN do) and change (which the Church can only do in matters that have nothing to do with Her Doctrine).

It’s OK to say the Church can “change” as long as you refer to changes only in matters that have nothing to do with doctrine. We can change whether we say the Apostle’s or the Nicene Creed at Mass. But we cannot change what either of these Creeds teaches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.