CHENEY INDICTMENT: Vice president, former AG, state senator indicted

[/FONT]**[FONT=Courier New]CHENEY INDICTMENT: Vice president, former AG, state senator indicted… **

The charges against the VP seem a bit far fetched to me, but have at it.

The indictment criticizes Cheney’s investment in the Vanguard Group, which holds interests in the private prison companies running the federal detention centers. It accuses Cheney of a conflict of interest and “at least misdemeanor assaults” on detainees by working through the prison companies.

were all of the holders of that vanguard group also indicted? :nope:

Well, no. The allegation is that Cheney, because he holds high government office, was in a position to alter policy for his financial benefit. Presumably, not all holders of the Vanguard group hold such a government office.

That said, I agree with the Gilliam. The allegation seems rather far-fetched. I don’t see how the VP of the US has influence on prison contracts.

I’m no fan of Cheney, but this one seems completely over the top.

I don’t know if this is against forum rules because I don’t have a link, but I just saw it on television. Indicted in Texas for prison corruption…I’ll post a link as soon as I have one.

McALLEN, Texas — Vice President **** Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales have been indicted on state charges involving federal prisons in a South Texas county that has been a source of bizarre legal and political battles under the outgoing prosecutor.

The indictment returned Monday has not yet been signed by the presiding judge, and no action can be taken until that happens.

The seven indictments made public in Willacy County on Tuesday included one naming state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr. and some targeting public officials connected to District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra’s own legal battles.

Regarding the indictments targeting the public officials, Guerra said, “the grand jury is the one that made those decisions, not me.”

The jury indicts, but the D.A. refers to the grand jury. I would love to read what was sent to them. My prediction: this D.A. will end up in jail before the V.P. More likely, he has just sealed his disbarment. Cheney’s investment group owns some interest in a private detention company. A prisoner or prisoners said they were assaulted. Therefore the V.P. has been indicted for criminal conspiracy to commit this alleged assault(s). This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen and am ashamed such idiocy occured in my state. I think we should redraw the border with McAllen on the other side.

Some of us would like to redraw the US-Mexico border with all of Texas on the other side. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and just to amuse myself with the Forum’s overzealous censorship software: **** **** **** **** **** ****.

Yeah! I am all for that! We will still keep our southern border, thank you, and just add one on the north, east and west.

Just think, we could then join OPEC.

Aren’t we all just sick of this kind of thing? The “alleged” corruption in government continues on and on. (And what we don’t know, won’t hurt us!)

I do hope that Gonzales is “sweating” it just a little over this. I think he perjured himself in '07 when he testified during the Senate judiciary hearings that the right to habeas corpus is not expressly granted by the Constitution.

But hey…nothing, but nothing, seems to be wrong anymore…either in circles of government, or even more sadly, sometimes the Church!

Have you even read what was alleged? If everything is true, it does constitute a crime, or even a oopsy. How would you like someone to threaten you with jail because you owned Enron stock and they thought that made you culpable. Insanity.

Some of us would like to redraw the US-Mexico border with all of Texas on the other side.

It worked OK, before. I guess that would mean Canada could annex the remainder of the US.

Hopefully Bush will be next.

I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of this kind of thing.

I do not think he owned any shares in Vanguard.

To the left and their all consuming hatred of Bush, it does not matter. He is guilty of everything even if he is not even remotely involved.

So you think it is a generic wish for unjust evil to befall on a fellow human being? There is one religion that teaches that, but it is not Christianity.

I am not a supporter of the President, but I have to disagree. Any time the president, vice president, cabinet level official, or any high officials even come under any suspicion or even the hint of indictment its bad for the country.

action has alread been taken, and there is a battle of the judges going on.
did not happen in McAllen, that is just the dateline for the story. Different county, Willacy, whose judges and grand juries have a history of this stuff.

The whole private prison issue is a scandal waiting to explode so I can understand some of the motivation, but the indictments were way over the top, have I think already been thrown out or will shortly, and were made simply for shock and publicity value to bring the issue into the public eye.

There is a sport down here in the Valley which involves newly elected judges and other officials immediately indicting their political opponents or other enemies for some crime as soon as they get on the job. There are probably more indictments against public officials here than anywhere in the country. Some are legit but I bet they get bogged in the system and overlooked amid the forest of phony cases. No wonder our courts have 4-5 year backlogs.

That I understand, but then I work for one of the only local agency every condemned by the U.N. and that was all over a private prison contract. They are a horrible idea, but Cheney’s idea, and no crime was involved. I’ll PM if you (or anyone) want the details.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.