Cherie Blair Demands Catholic Church Rescind Contraception Ban

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/sep/09090108.html

**Cherie Blair Demands Catholic Church Rescind Contraception Ban
Complains career women held back by children
LONDON, September 1, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Catholic Church’s prohibition of artificial contraception is holding back the ambitions of career women, Cherie Blair, the self-declared “good Catholic” wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair, told an audience at Edinburgh International Book Festival this week.

Blair, a human rights lawyer, is well known for her opposition to the Church’s life and family teachings. She was known to have hosted fundraising parties for British abortion and contraceptive agencies during her husband’s tenure at Number 10 Downing St, and promoted International Planned Parenthood, the world’s largest abortionist organisation, on her website.

She can say whatever nonsense she wants, it’s not going to change anything. :shrug:

What really disturbs me, though, is how she is complaining her career is “held back” by children. It’s this kind of attitude that leads to death. Your children are more important then any career you have.

Pride.

Recognize it?

I am Cherie hear me roar! I would enjoy Mz Blair debating oh, the likes of Father Frank Pavone. Or Dr Janet Smith. I bet her ignorance and small stack of literature read re: this topic would be humilitating to her. And how many educated women does she know who are understanding and appreciative of the church’s teaching?

I couldn’t be more in agreement with Cheri. There is a huge difference between preventing a pregnancy and teriminating it once it has begun. Most priests must be in agreement. The next time I hear this preached from the pulpit will be the first.

Perhaps Anglicanism would be more amenable to her. That was, after all, the very first protestant denomination to change its teaching on artificial contraception–in 1930. Previous to that, every protestant denomination was in agreement with the Catholic Church on the issue.

Of course there is a huge difference between preventing and terminating a pregnancy. Just like there is a huge difference between robbing a bank and murder – but both are wrong!

Beat me to it! I agree - looks like Cherie should have become Anglican, rather than Tony becoming Catholic.

What a low blow to women everywhere who juggle both family and career and do it very well!

Well, deep down, Cheri must not think so, since the article states that she, “Blair, a human rights lawyer, is well known for her opposition to the Church’s life and family teachings. She was known to have hosted fundraising parties for British abortion and contraceptive agencies during her husband’s tenure at Number 10 Downing St, and promoted International Planned Parenthood, the world’s largest abortionist organisation, on her website.”

The irony in that phrase “…a human rights lawyer, is well known for her opposition to the Church’s life and family teachings” is insane.

“…admitted that at least one of her children was conceived when she had “forgotten her contraceptive equipment” when on holiday.” I bet that child is so proud of his or her mum. I can imagine when Mother’s day rolls around: “I forgot my card giving equipment mum. Jolly good. Maybe next year old girl, stiff upper lip!”

Cherie Blair, the Catholic Church was the pillar of truth for 2000 years before you came on the scene to impart your wisdom unto it. Maybe, just maybe, you should submit yourself to the true and tested teachings of the Church and not the other way around.

Rubbing elbows with planned parenthood (read: planned genocide), what do you except…

I am sorry that she thinks having babies is bad for one’s career - I am sure there are tons of aborted babies who thought their mom’s all important career was bad for thier life.

I agree, it would be great for her to be schooled by someone like Fr. Pavone. Maybe they will have a chance meeting someday. Lets keep her in our prayers.

So more Catholics can have sexual intercourse before marriage. Sorry keep it BANNED!!.

Cherie Blair, the self-declared “good Catholic” wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair,

This is what happens when people consider themselves “good” Catholics, but think they can pick and choose what they believe. Hence the condition of our society.

I’m sure unfortunately, that a lot of Brits would agree with her.

Don’t hold your breath on this demand. You will end up more than blue.

In related news, people who fall down a lot are demanding that the law of gravity be repealed.

:smiley:

– Mark L. Chance.

a smart women like that should know it’s not what we want but what GOD wants. GOD knows best not us and she must place her faith in him more.

This way of thinking infuriates me as it’s plain ignorance and selfishness.

So, just two questions…

1. Does this mean that she can no longer receive The Eucharist? “…is well known for her opposition to the Church’s life and family teachings”

2. As Tony Blair, was also pro abortion and contraception - why was he allowed to become a Catholic?

3. As the papers said that Cherie influenced him greatly into becoming Catholic - not through example, but rather nagging, is this perhaps the devil trying to work his way into the core of society? Or is it that he has already done so, and now simply wishes to flaunt it?

I’m sorry, but it is mind boggling for me and upsets me very much. :blush:

Is the lifesite news website 100% legit and trustworthy out of interest?:shrug::confused:

Some have joked that the former TAC members are really the ones doing the liberating in Britain. Sadly, while England was once known for its array of monestaries is now notorious for dissent.

I just cannot understand how people can claim adherance to the faith AND celebrate their rejection of Church teaching. Well, actually I *can *understand it (that is what happens when we put ourselves first).

I would hope that her Bishop would call her in for a little chat.It is my understanding that public support for abortion,in particular fund-raising activities would already have caused her to self-excommunicate.She should at the very least be denied the Eucharist.To not do so in my opinion makes her Bishop complicit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.