Cheryl Cole is 'dropped by US X Factor'

British pop star Cheryl Cole has been dropped from the judging panel of the US version of The X Factor, according to a US report.

Entertainment website TMZ said sources claimed producers were concerned the singer's Newcastle accent was too strong for US audiences.

Cole's UK publicist has refused to comment on the story.

Former Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger, who had been lined up to co-host, will replace her, reports say.

After months of speculation, it was confirmed earlier this month that Cole had landed the coveted spot on the judging panel alongside former American Idol judge Paula Abdul, Antonio LA Reid and Simon Cowell.

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13558288

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:1, topic:241747"]

Entertainment website TMZ said sources claimed producers were concerned the singer's Newcastle accent was too strong for US audiences.

[/quote]

Assuming the TMZ (a gossip website) report is correct, I suppose it would be good to have a sense of what Cheryl Cole's speaking voice sounds like. To that end, here is a video interview with her:
youtube.com/watch?v=us6EPrD_kKM

OMG, what language is that!? Speak English, please.

;)

I think the problem is American's perception of how English speak. For a small area in comparison to the USA, we do have a wide variety of accents yet you all seem to think we talk like the Queen!

You Americans are too protected from the truth of our beautiful voices. :p

I don't sound anything like Cheryl by the way.

LOL this is too funny because I can so relate! Whenever my Nan calls from Wales (she's 98) I'm half dreading speaking to her on the phone! lol - I know I have too, she's so old, and I love her dearly, but I haven't a CLUE what she's on about!! :D

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:3, topic:241747"]
I think the problem is American's perception of how English speak. For a small area in comparison to the USA, we do have a wide variety of accents yet you all seem to think we talk like the Queen!

[/quote]

Well it's only a rumor right now...and I really doubt it's true. There's probably other reasoning behind this decision.

I LOVE her voice BTW.

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:1, topic:241747"]
British pop star Cheryl Cole has been dropped from the judging panel of the US version of The X Factor, according to a US report.

[/quote]

Isn't the same reason Fox's show "Lie To Me" was cancelled? i.e., they thought dumb American viewers couldn't understand Tim Roth's British accent? Wow. How do all these British artists like Adele, Duffy, etc., ever make it in the U.S. if they ever have to...gasp... actually TALK? :D

Unfortunately, I'm glad she was dropped. Clearly many of these celebrities lack gratitude. There are LoReal adverts of Cheryl Cole all over London, and presumably, eslewhere in the UK as well. But she couldn't be content with that, could she? Just to seek bigger markets for the almighty £.

Sometimes celebrities also need to be dragged back down to Earth to show that they are just mortal men and women. And I think this dropping did just that. It's probably good for her soul too.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

[quote="Bohm_Bawerk, post:7, topic:241747"]
Unfortunately, I'm glad she was dropped. Clearly many of these celebrities lack gratitude. There are LoReal adverts of Cheryl Cole all over London, and presumably, eslewhere in the UK as well. But she couldn't be content with that, could she? Just to seek bigger markets for the almighty £.

Sometimes celebrities also need to be dragged back down to Earth to show that they are just mortal men and women. And I think this dropping did just that. It's probably good for her soul too.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. The sin is greed. The sinner will hopefully benefit from this and be humbled. I do kind of feel a bit sorry for her though because she's a nice person but that industry is bubbling over with sins IMHO.

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:3, topic:241747"]

[/quote]

Please don't shatter my fantasies.

I am still praying for Catholic man with a blue blood British accent! :thumbsup:

[quote="TrueLight, post:9, topic:241747"]
Please don't shatter my fantasies.

I am still praying for Catholic man with a blue blood British accent! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Some do talk like that! You just need to stay down South - none of those awful-sounding Northerners :P Where I'm from we have the true 'Queen's English' accents. My housemate thinks it's hilarious.

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:10, topic:241747"]
Some do talk like that! You just need to stay down South - none of those awful-sounding Northerners :P Where I'm from we have the true 'Queen's English' accents. My housemate thinks it's hilarious.

[/quote]

Exactly the same situation here. I'm a student nurse originally from a very posh area in the South of England, but I'm training to be a nurse in the North of England. One of my patients said to me completely out of the blue "You have such a lovely posh voice. You pronounce all of your letters in each word correctly and speak really nice, not like us northern commoners!" (note, I have translated what she said into a form of English that Americans can understand :p)

I get teased about my voice from my boyfriend (who is local and northern) and his friends/family, as well as my housemates. I do pronounce every letter and I do have a posh voice. If you want to know quite how posh, youtube/google search "posh radio 4 lady". While her voice is deeper than mine... yeah, you get the idea.

Edit: Although, I have to say, when I go to the South of England apparently my voice has a slight northern "twang" to it now. I'll speak half a sentence in my usual "posh" voice, but then all of a sudden one word will come out terribly northern-sounding. :blush:

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:11, topic:241747"]
Exactly the same situation here. I'm a student nurse originally from a very posh area in the South of England, but I'm training to be a nurse in the North of England. One of my patients said to me completely out of the blue "You have such a lovely posh voice. You pronounce all of your letters in each word correctly and speak really nice, not like us northern commoners!" (note, I have translated what she said into a form of English that Americans can understand :p)

[/quote]

And this is why, LemonAndLime, you were asked to read. :)

Speaking of posh accents, that lady on EWTN, who speaks during the communion part of the daily mass, has such a lovely accent.

You know the one I mean?

She is the one who says something to the effect of if you can't go up for communion, to say a prayer.

[quote="TrueLight, post:12, topic:241747"]
And this is why, LemonAndLime, you were asked to read. :)

[/quote]

Possibly, I do stick out like a sore thumb around these parts. Not sure if its a blessing or a curse sometimes. :shrug:

I used to sing in the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir in the 90's and for those who don't know, the choir is well known in the contemporary Christian music genre and has 200+ members.

Anyway, we went to the UK and we had a concert at Her Majesty's theater and also in Wales.

We spent the whole time there trying to speak with British accents. This included when we ordered at restaurants and shopped at stores. We were so in love with the accents.

We probably appeared at best, as childish fools and at worst, ugly Americans.

[quote="TrueLight, post:15, topic:241747"]
I used to sing in the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir in the 90's and for those who don't know, the choir is well known in the contemporary Christian music genre and has 200+ members.

Anyway, we went to the UK and we had a concert at Her Majesty's theater and also in Wales.

We spent the whole time there trying to speak with British accents. This included when we ordered at restaurants and shopped at stores. We were so in love with the accents.

We probably appeared at best, as childish fools and at worst, ugly Americans.

[/quote]

Not like ugly Americans. Like Americans trying to better themselves! :p

I really like some American accents, but some of them just grate on my ears.

What kind of accent were you trying to put on by the way? It wasn't East London was it?

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:16, topic:241747"]
Not like ugly Americans. Like Americans trying to better themselves! :p

I really like some American accents, but some of them just grate on my ears.

What kind of accent were you trying to put on by the way? It wasn't East London was it?

[/quote]

I don't know about the accents in the different areas but we were trying to sound like Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins.

By the way, I have met a couple of British gentlemen on dating websites who loveeeeee American accents, especially NY accents, which is probably one of the ones that grate on your ears. :D

**Never going to stop saying 'cawfee' " :thumbsup:

Some British accent types I can understand better than others. If I ask someone to slow down their speech a bit if they talk really fast, then I can understand.

I am from the midwest USA, and don't have an accent, but my friends in other parts in the USA would say I do :p

[quote="MissRose73, post:18, topic:241747"]
Some British accent types I can understand better than others. If I ask someone to slow down their speech a bit if they talk really fast, then I can understand.

I am from the midwest USA, and don't have an accent, but my friends in other parts in the USA would say I do :p

[/quote]

Back home, people would say that they don't have an accent either and laughed when I told them they did and I can hear the accent we were talking in. I could tell because unlike them, I had family in other counties and I regularly listened to Yorkshire and Scottish accents, and heard the sound of my own voice compared to them. Most of my friends back home had barely left that side of the country for longer than a day (excepting of course for holidays abroad).

I don't talk too fast, by the way. You'll probably be able to understand me, not sure about my grandad though with a broad Yorkshire accent and dialect. I can barely understand him.

[quote="TrueLight, post:17, topic:241747"]
I don't know about the accents in the different areas but we were trying to sound like Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins.

By the way, I have met a couple of British gentlemen on dating websites who loveeeeee American accents, especially NY accents, which is probably one of the ones that grate on your ears. :D

**Never going to stop saying 'cawfee' " :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I quite like NY accents :D.

Not so keen on that Southern drawwwwwwwwl, well, some of them. A few do sound attractive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.