Chevrolet's Volt Sales Running Low, GM Idles the Line

**GM shutting down Chevy Volt production for five weeks **

blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2012/03/volt-hamtramck-assembly-628.jpg

Even with the new HOV-eligible 2012 Chevrolet Volt models heading to California and sales up in February, General Motors has reportedly decided to shut down production of the plug-in hybrid for five weeks because of overall sluggish sales. With a 150-day supply of Volts sitting on dealer lots around the country, this shutdown will temporarily lay off 1,300 employees.

What’s perhaps even more interesting is that this production hiatus comes after a lengthy “holiday” retooling break that only ended in early February. The upcoming shutdown is scheduled to last from March 19 to April 23. As a GM spokesman told MLive, “We’re matching our production levels with demand and building to market.”

autoblog.com/2012/03/02/gm-shutting-down-chevy-volt-production-for-five-weeks/

Just another example of the failed and miss-guided decisions coming out of Obama who doesn’t have a clue how an economy operates.

Obama’s failed green initiatives have costed us billions of dollar. What else is next?

There’s a shock. No one likes ugly little cars in America. There is an easy fix, or at least a potentially far better fix to the situation of fuel efficiency in the US. If the government simply raises fuel efficiency standards 1% every year on all types of vehicles, things will take care of themselves. Car companies will have to comply with the standards, and figure out how to still give people trucks, vans, suv’s, and sports cars at the same time.

Set the standard, and let the free market figure it out.

I received this today:

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel’s Follow the Money) test drove the

Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles

before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the

battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh

battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive

270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have

a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average

speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity.

It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I

looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16

per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the

Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets

32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs

$46,000…

So Government wants us to pay 3 times as much, for a car that

costs more that 7 times as much to run, and takes 3 times

longer to drive across country… REALLY ???

Well, with gas heading toward $5 per, the Volt becomes a slightly less foolish acquisition…slightly.

I just heard that the green company that got a 750 million dollare “stimulus” from Obama that makes the batteries that power the Volt just filed bankruptcy…nothing much in the MSM about it though. considering the cost of a volt, it would make one wonder how long it could take to even out the “savings” on gasoline which are still not proving out to be that great overall with the extra 20 grand to purchase one.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

Wow. How is electricity that expensive?

My household electric is $0.13 per kWh for the baseline and $0.15 for the next tier.

There is a slight problem with the 16 kWh. The generator kicks in when the battery is half depleted. Therefore, a typical charge will more likely be 8 kWh; but I’ll round it up to 10.

Since I’d surely be over baseline, it would be about $1.50 for a charge or about $0.06 per mile (for the 25 electric only miles).

So it’s unlikely to save you quite enough in fuel costs to justify the price premium over a Cruise Eco.

Probably the best use for a Volt at this point is to advertize “green cred” if you happen to be in an industry that deals with natural or energy conservation.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

I don’t know where your source lives, but according to this source:

The average retail price of electricity in the United States in 2010 was 9.88 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh). The average prices by type of utility customer were:

Residential: 11.6¢ per kWh
Transportation: 11.0¢ per kWh
Commercial: 10.3¢ per kWh
Industrial: 6.8¢ per kWh

$46,000 is more than the price of my first house.

Do these people think cars appreciate in value?

Our power company informed the rate payers that if you bought one of the electric cars, they would have to come and rewire your house for a mere $20,000. I don’t have a garage; I would have to run an extension cord from my living room, through my front lawn and over the sidewalk to charge up

I’m not understanding why an entire house has to be rewired just to add or extend one circuit. If the house wiring and panel is so substandard and a code violation that an electrician would have to do a complete rehab just to be able to add or extend one legally permitted circuit then it wouldn’t make any difference if the circuit was going to be used for an electric car or a 60 watt light bulb.

Because some EV chargers can draw 70 Amps .
Many homes in the USA have only 125 main circuit breakers .
In any electrical circuit one is not supposed to use more that 80 % of its rated capacity on a continual bases So 80 % of 125 amps is 100 Amps.

So in this case you would have only 30 amps for the rest of the house which would not be enough .

Also the Charger the GM supplies with the volt for an extra cost draws 30 Amps

Some apartments and Condo’s only have 60 Amp main breakers ( especially older ones that had gas appliances originally) So you can see why one might have to replace the electric panel

Yes, Catholic90 seems to referencing one of those dubious chain emails which get “enhanced” as it circulates.

Here is a deconstruction of the email:

The “Cost to Operate a Chevy Volt” chain letter went beyond the Fair and Balanced Network’s opinion that the Volt wasn’t a good deal financially for taxpayer or Volt-owner. Using a figure of 1.16 per kilowatt hour for electricity, the chain letter concluded, “So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 6 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across the country.” Electricity actually costs about .127 per kilowatt hour now; a tenth of what the chain email states. The battery pack stores 16 kWh of energy, but, says GM, not all 16 kWh are used. A full charge adds 9.6 kWh that can be used to move the Volt and another 3-4 kWh are used in charging on a 120-volt system, less with a more efficient 220-volt charger. So a full charge on 120V power consumes 13.4 kWh of electricity, or $1.57. The Fox News 25-mile jaunt thus cost 6.3 cents per mile; if the Volt got 35 miles on a charge (not unusual), it would be 4.5 cents per mile. A compact car getting 35 mpg would cost 10 cents per mile using $3.50-a-gallon gasoline

The chain letter’s claim that it would take three times as long to cross the US as a gasoline car assumes the Volt owner would stop to refill the gas tank and recharge the battery each time, meaning you’d drive 4.5 hours then stop for 10 hours, drive 4.5, stop for 10, limping across America. That’s absurd but that’s what you expect when you get letters prefaced by “Urgent. You MUST read this and pass it along.”

extremetech.com/extreme/120145-chevy-volt-battery-life-fail-or-fox-news-fail-somebody-has-the-math-wrong

I think, and have posted before, that the Volt doesn’t have the performance that Americans expect from their automobiles. It is, at best, a second vehicle for a family to be used for short trips and commutes. But the claims in the email are silly.

Even if the meter, meter base and panel have to be upgraded, the $20,000 cost that was quoted still seems way over the top. I replaced mine for about $1,400.

The electric company is most likely including the cost of replacing the service from the street to the transformer, to the meter, and the service panel. I could see that easily running well over $10K. If your service is all under ground you can easily double that number. Then you have run a heavy guage wire to the garage for the charging station. Personally I just ran a 40 Amp service from my existing service panel (200 amp panel) to my detached garage (about 28 feet from the main panel to the sub panel in the garage) and that was over $700.

I bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze last month for less than $20,000 and never even considered the Volt for $40,000. Since I drive less than 10,000 miles per year and get more than 25 miles per gallon, my total cost of gasoline, even at $5 per gallon, would be less than $2000 for a year. If I got my electricity for free, it would take more than ten years to break even from the extra initial cost. If you consider my average return on investments is over 10%, I would never even cover the lost income with free electricity.

This does not even include the likely higher maintenance costs for a new technology and the fact that I can shop around for gasoline and get at least a 3% rebate on my credit cards.

President Obama has never claimed to be good at math. Pushing Government Motors to sell electric cars is just one more example of how really bad he is at math.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.