Chicago Blackhawks Bringing Stanley Cup to Pride Parade

Well, I don't think the cup was shown during the Puerto Rican Day parade this weekend. Maybe it can make Bud Billiken in August, too. At any rate, it is scheduled to make an appearance at the Pride parade.

"Is the ultimate game of testosterone going to dispatch a Blackhawk with the Stanley Cup in tow to the Gay Pride Parade this weekend?

You betcha!

Sneed has learned Blackhawks President John McDonough is rerouting the Stanley Cup from the NHL draft in L.A. to the parade Sunday . . . and Blackhawk defenseman Brent Sopel has volunteered to represent the team.

"I am honored to do it," said Sopel, who will be accompanied by wife, Kelly, and his four kids, Jacob, 12, Lyla, 8, Jayla, 6, and Paul, 20, whom they adopted three years ago after Paul's parents died within six months of each other.

"The power of the Cup is incomprehensible, and we recognize the importance of doing this," said McDonough, who has arranged for the Stanley Cup to be flown back from the National Hockey League draft in Los Angeles 15 hours early. "It's important for the city and important for the franchise."

Last week, the Chicago Gay Hockey Association issued an invite to the Blackhawks and the Stanley Cup to join them at the parade.

They were hopeful, but "we know the realistic chances of them joining us for the Pride Parade are slim," CGHA President Andrew Sobotka told Sneed last week."

suntimes.com/news/sneed/2417426,CST-NWS-SNEED22.article#

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:1, topic:202864"]
Well, I don't think the cup was shown during the Puerto Rican Day parade this weekend. Maybe it can make Bud Billiken in August, too. At any rate, it is scheduled to make an appearance at the Pride parade.

[/quote]

Did anyone from Chicago's Puerto Rican community request that the trophy be brought to the parade? Perhaps if an African-American organization requests the trophy's appearance it will (and I think should) appear at the Bud Billiken parade.

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:202864"]
Did anyone from Chicago's Puerto Rican community request that the trophy be brought to the parade? Perhaps if an African-American organization requests the trophy's appearance it will (and I think should) appear at the Bud Billiken parade.

[/quote]

I'm waiting. Anything is possible.

http://americansportsblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/wayne-gretzky-of-the-phoenix-coyotes.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/pear622/earlyblackhockey2.jpg

On a positive note, Brent Sopel, the guy who will carry the Cup in the parade is being traded to Atlanta, and I'm glad to see him go.

I hope Black Hawks fans will contact the team and express there disgust and outrage over this disgraceful action.

From a fan website:

"The Hawks have been formally asked to participate in Chicago's annual Gay Pride Parade next weekend. Personally, I think they should do it, it would be a fantastic gesture toward a largely ignored sect of the hockey fan base, and promote acceptance elsewhere among fans, provided the Cup and players are not booked elsewhere already. However, now that that request has been made public, I feel like the Hawks now kinda have to participate at the risk of looking insensitive if they do not. I'm fairly confident that McDonough will find a way to properly traverse this PR tight rope,"

secondcityhockey.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.