Chick-fil-A’s Creepy Infiltration of New York City

The general public has a short attention. Post merger I found out many of my coworkers had all participated in the Chick Fil-A boycott several years ago. The company did an event recently where they brought in food from Chick Fil-A and it wasn’t until after the food was eaten that they began to ask themselves “Should we still be boycotting them?”

If Dan and Truette Cathy’s position on LGBT rights was part of the motivation for the protest in any way I’m pretty sure it wasn’t changed by the boycott over what the WinShape foundation gave money to (well, Truette is now dead so his position can’t change anyway). I feel like if one was boycotting before they would continue to boycott now. But at least in my local sphere of observation that hasn’t been the case.

I personally never participated. When I was in middle school I had Truette Cathy as a Sunday School teacher and had gone to a summer camp run by the foundation (Camp WinShape). His position on LGBT was status quo for the community in which I grew up.

1 Like

Huh.

I didn’t even know there were any Chick Fil-As in New York City. Guess you learn something new every day.

This is more of a Popeye’s town, I’d say.

What a sad society we live in when being openly Christian is considered creepy. Chic-fil-a is opening new stores in New York because it is a very good restaurant and has a good business model. If the New Yorker thinks they are creepy that is a reflection on the staff of the New Yorker and not on the owners of Chic-fil-a.

I don’t think they’ll find it creepy. It’s one of the consistently polite fast food places I’ve been to.

Hey, Popeyes is OK. Better than KFC. But I’m not really a fast food fan.

You described exactly why they find it creepy.
They feel much more at home with a ‘soup nazi’ running the register.

1 Like

Me either.

Hey, New York is New York. If you’re too nice, we’ll wonder what your scam is. :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t read the New York article, but most New Yorkers are oblivious to Chick-Fil-A. I didn’t even know there were any in the city.

Will they be successful here? If they serve decent food, at a reasonable price, quickly, they will. If they don’t, they won’t succeed.

Yeah I don’t doubt that the people of New York will judge Chick-fil-A on the quality of their food and service. I would expect nothing less. If you read the article, the New Yorker just takes this weird approach basically bashing Chick-fil-A for its owner being openly Christian and using advertising cows that say “eat more chicken”. I’d say that the writer at the New Yorker is the one with the bias problem.

1 Like

That’s a big if.

Coming from the South, that was the weirdest thing about going up North. People look like you’re an alien when you tell them to keep the change.

1 Like

Found this one, to appeal to anime fans

Yeah, but we’re still basically decent human being here in the city. We’ll help you out, for sure, but we’re just always in a hurry. :grinning:

1 Like

I saw a Chick-fil-A commercial on local tv here this morning, so they’re definitely here … somewhere!

What are the pros and cons of living in New York for you? (Small-town country boy, here.)

I am not from NYC but here is my take.

Pros. Never a dull moment. Plenty to do

Cons. Cost cost cost

For me another con would be no place to park my tractor.

1 Like

Maybe New Yorkers will eat there if they like the food, but just not admit they go there. It might be like Southern Baptists seeing each other in a liquor store. Neither will admit he/she was there, so any other Baptist he/she sees there is safe from exposure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.