Child abuse inquiry: Priest told boy he was 'product of evil and satanic relationship'

This story is on-going with public hearings running until 2015, so plenty of fodder for months to come.

Whilst, I recognise the stories are horrific - they did occur years ago and no doubt are similar to all other ‘children’s homes’ operating in that era - not that that makes it right, but it is the continued slamming of the church that is damaging.

belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/child-abuse-inquiry-priest-told-boy-he-was-product-of-evil-and-satanic-relationship-29961572.html

*A priest told a former resident of a church-run children’s home in Northern Ireland that he was the product of an evil and satanic relationship, an inquiry has heard.

The son of an unmarried mother said he became a zombie, introverted and fearing the next beating, lying soaked in urine at night in an attempt to dissuade any sexual abusers from “dropping the hand”.

He was a resident at St Joseph’s in Termonbacca, Londonderry, run by the Sisters of Nazareth order of nuns, in the 1950s and complained about his treatment to a priest after leaving the home.

The response was: "You must never speak about this, you must understand… you and the other orphans are bastards. You are the product of an evil and satanic relationship. You never had a chance.

“I have waited 65 years to say this. When I was reared by the Sisters of the Congregation of Nazareth it was equivalent to being reared by the Taliban, such was their sadism, their lack of empathy, their fundamentalism, their lack of dignity to the little helpless boy.”
"*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.