child baptised

Maria Anna,

The difference in the second case is that there were people willing to bring the child to Mass and to see to his religious education. This is not present in the first case you mention.

Please direct me to the exact place where it says “church requires we defer the baptism until such hope is present”

I’m always happy to oblige:

Can. 868 §1 For an infant to be baptised lawfully it is required:
1° that the parents, or at least one of them, or the person who lawfully holds their place, give their consent;
that there be a well-founded hope that the child will be brought up in the catholic religion. If such hope is truly lacking, the baptism is, in accordance with the provisions of particular law, to be deferred and the parents advised of the reason for this.
§2 An infant of catholic parents, indeed even of non-catholic parents, may in danger of death be baptised even if the parents are opposed to it

As you can see, I didn’t make this up. It’s the law of the Church!

Deacon Ed

0 Likes

Deacon the conditions were not different. I told you of the events that followed after the boys baptism, his going to mass and receiving communion transpired as he grew up.
I am sure as you have enlightened me to the Canon Law 868 1, n. 2. that the Pastor in his requirements of this Law concluded that a “founded hope that the child will be raised catholic” was the Pastors perception and baptised the boy.
I sincerely hope and pray that the pastor who this couple go to will recognize that the canons firmly foster the sacrements and he the Pastor find a" founded hope that the child will be raised a Catholic". and baptise this child. Wanting the child baptised in the Catholic Faith is a true sign that these parents are moving in a faithful direction.
I thought you made any thing up. I am not familiar with Canon Law and have not had occasion to refer to it.If someone is giving me facts it is always best to know the exact source.
I thank you for your reply. maria anna

0 Likes

Deacon as I read my last reply i made a mistake and meant to say I did not think you made any of your statement up.Just wanted to clear that up. Maria anna

0 Likes

closed #24
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.