Child finds 2 dead in apparent Vancouver murder-suicide

Dear CAF family,

I wouldn’t normally post such a local article, but this one hit too close to home, and I thought we could all be reminded of the what a tough economy and the depression many can experience during the holiday season can sadly lead to. People desperately need our prayers.

I had to explain suicide and murder to my 9- and 7-year-old tonight because a 6-year-old classmate came home yesterday to find her parents dead. I did the best I could. I explained the three conditions of mortal sin; that we always pray for God’s mercy because we don’t know the state of mind of someone who does such terrible things; that Satan always strikes hardest when people are sad and depressed. We prayed a decade of the Rosary for Bailey Jo, her parents, her grandparents (who live close and are taking care of her) and for others who are struggling and depressed. We also prayed for St Michael the Archangel’s intercession in our battle against the Devil.

This couple was recently divorced, and the husband had his hours cut back at work. Of course, no one knows what was going through his mind that would drive him to this. What also struck me is the last sentence I bolded - there have been 6 murder-suicides since November 4th in the Portland metro area. Please pray.

king5.com/news/local/Child-finds-2-dead-in-apparent-Vancouver-murder-suicide-78384017.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. – Police were investigating the deaths of a man and woman in the area of SE 30th Way and 196th Ave, just north of Washington State Road 14.

A neighbor in the area called 9-1-1 to report that a child had arrived on the doorstep just before 2 p.m. Wednesday and said two people across the street "were not moving."
The neighborhood is a relatively new subdivision near the Vancouver-Camas border.
Clark County Major Crimes Scenes was investigating the deaths. Neither had been identified; however, the female appeared to be in her mid 30s and the male in his mid 40s.

A gun was found at the scene, police said.

A Vancouver police spokesperson told KGW the deaths appeared to be a murder-suicide.

In Oregon**, authorities have investigated 12 murder-suicide deaths in the past two months.**

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.