Child killer smiles as he hears death sentence (Is the death penalty too harsh for this man? )

Joseph Duncan was sentenced to death.

cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/27/duncan.death.ap/index.html

Typically when a murderer is sentenced to death I don’t agree with it. In fact, I can’t think of any time in the past few years (when I’ve actually paid attention and cared) where I’ve agreed with it. Maybe Sadaam Hussein… maybe. I actually agreed with Justice Kennedy’s decision that the death penalty is too extreme for child rapists; as much as the thought of what they did makes me sick to my stomach. But reading this article about this guy… I don’t know. If I were a juror on this trial I would have a hard time NOT giving him death. Somehow I don’t think he’d survive long in prison anyway, people who brutalize children usually don’t, but still. He smiled when they read the sentencing.

Should a man like that be put to death? Or are we complicit in his murder? I personally believe that states have the right to decide whether or not to have a death penalty. I also believe that it is used far too frequently in our society. We have the ability to lock people up for life. They can be locked in solitary confinement for life and never be in contact with the rest of the world again. But a man like this??? The death penalty is acceptable when used as a means of defending society. I figured that meant men like Sadaam. Men with power and notoriety who can still control things from inside their jail cells. What about a man who appears to be pure evil? I know we can’t know another’s heart and it is for God to judge but should this man be allowed to live?

I apologize for the ramblings. I thought I’d check the convention news before heading to bed and read this article. Hopefully it doesn’t give me nightmares. I pray the souls of those he killed and their families find peace tonight.

Is the death penalty too harsh for this man?NO.(He should be put in the express lane).

In that man’s case, no. He is evil, beyond evil and rejoices in it.
I have no qualms in saying the state has every right to execute him.

I think this one of the rare occasions where the death penalty is justified. I think most murderers should get prison. I think in cases where the murderer knew their victim(like in a drug deal gone wrong or a someone who discovered a cheating spouse and went mad) they should have the chance at parole, but in random murders where the victim is totally innocent I think it should be life in prison or death in extreme cases. This is one case I just don’t have any compassion for the guy!

This man certainly deserves life in prison with no chance of parole ever. He’s a danger to everyone, but while there is life in him, he has the chance to repent for this travesty. God’s mercy knows no limits, after all He even forgave those who crucified Him…and Crucifying God Almighty is certainly something else.

Justice would be giving him the death penalty maybe…
But mercy, that’s where God steps in, and mercy is giving someone something they don’t deserve. Aren’t we called to act with mercy too, follow me says the Lord!

This man is very very sick, or/and maybe in complete possession of Satan. He needs medical, phsychological help and maybe an exorcist. If he is dangerous to the prison guards themselves, I would almost agree, the death penalty would be fitting, (of which I myself do not believe in) if there is no other recourse.

I am pro death penalty and I strongly believe that justice will be served most appropriately if he is put to death.

We are subject to the laws of this land, and he is no exception.

Does not his eyes say a lot? It is not the stone cold stare but the rejoicing of some evil source…:eek:

Someone evil like this is clearly a danger to guards and other inmates. Leaving him in prison will just give him the chance to do more harm and sin more.

A Samuel Johnson said, “Nothing so concentrates the mind as the prospect of imminent hanging”. His only chance to repent, I think, is when he is faced with his imminent demise.

God Bless

Are not child murderers and rapists usually taken care of by the other inmates?

You have to wonder why he got out after the 1980 conviction.

Thank you for this.

Blessed are the merciful for they shall be shown mercy.

To the rest of you:

I just don’t get it. So many people say they are pro-life and then want to execute every felon they see, bomb nations on the other side of the world killing hundreds of thousands of women and children and have a house full of hand guns to kill a burglar. How they remind me of the crowds in the Gospel shouting: We have no king but Caesar CRUCIFY HIM!!

How dare you ask for more blood?

Is self-defense not pro-life?

Ted,Not even one of us said execute every felon,Bomb other countries or any of the rest of the dribble you are saying.Our CCC teaches capital punishment is acceptable in certain circumstances.I do own a few guns and I pray they will only be used for hunting or target practice.Hows the tae kwon do lessons going?Peace:D

Self-defense is prolife,however when a felon is convicted and behind bars, he is not an immediate threat to the public. In fact, the public is protected. So behind bars is where he belongs.

This simply not true, and war is not the topic here. One can be pro-life and favor the protection of innocent life over murderous life. I do not think this man rises to the criteria of danger that the Catechism calls for execution.

The problem is while the general public may be protected from a sick, violent criminal, the prison guards and other inmates are not. We just had an incident 2 months ago here in my area where a prison guard was killed my a man in prison for murder. While I do believe the death penalty should be rare, to say that it is never appropriate due to our society’s ability to effectively imprison individuals for life, that is not taking into account the danger a truly demented person might be to other inmates and to prison employees.

I agree with this: justice requires it.

But mercy, that’s where God steps in, and mercy is giving someone something they don’t deserve. Aren’t we called to act with mercy too, follow me says the Lord!

It is an abuse of mercy to apply it to the unrepentant and there is no call to apply it in this case. If we believe in hell we might ask ourselves why, if mercy has no limits, God himself is not merciful to the unrepentant.

Ender

Exactly!

The fact that people are saying child abusers are usually “taken care of” in prison shows that we don’t even have the expectation that prisoners are safe from one another.

It is foolish to claim we can incarcerate someone so they are no threat to others. The amount of rape, assault and murder in prison belie this point definitively.

God Bless

[FONT=arial,helvetica][size=3]* Every part is directed to the whole, as imperfect to perfect, wherefore every part exists naturally for the sake of the whole. For this reason we see that if the health of the whole human body demands the excision of a member, because it became putrid or infectious to the other members, it would be both praiseworthy and healthful to have it cut away. Now every individual person is related to the entire society as a part to the whole. Therefore if a man be dangerous and infectious to the community, on account of some sin, it is praiseworthy and healthful that he be killed in order to safeguard the common good, since "a little leaven corrupteth the whole lump” (1 Cor. 5:6).

(**Summa Theologiae, II, II, q. 64, art. 2).

*St. Thomas Aquinas says kill him…and so do I.
[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.