Child killer smiles as he hears death sentence (Is the death penalty too harsh for this man? )

Then I suppose it’s good that St.Thomas and the above poster are not God…because for me, He’s the only giver of life and the taker.

Throughout history God has passed on that authority to human beings, though. As St. Paul put it, they do not carry the sword for nothing.

What wonderful Catholics! Kill, kill! Die, die!

What a wonderful Catholic to question our status and sincerity as Catholics.

Those who support the death penalty, when necessary to protect society, are no less Catholic for that support.

Some quotes I found with a quick Google search:

Pope Pius XII, Sept. 14, 1952: “When it is a question of the execution of a man condemned to death it is then reserved to the public power to deprive the condemned of the benefit of life, in expiation of his fault, when already, by his fault, he has dispossessed himself of the right to live.”

Pope Benedict XVI (when known as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger) made this statement in a June, 2004 memo to the U.S. Bishops: “Not all moral issues have the same moral weight as abortion and euthanasia. There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia.”

St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Contra Gentiles, Book III, 147: “The fate of the wicked being open to conversion so long as they live does not preclude their being open also to the just punishment of death. Indeed the danger threatening the community from their life is greater and more certain than the good expected by their conversion. Besides, in the hour of death, they have every facility for turning to God by repentance. And if they are so obstinate that even in the hour of death their heart will not go back upon its wickedness, a fairly probable reckoning may be made that they never would have returned to a better mind.”

God Bless

What wonderful Catholics - judging others based on an issue we are free to agree/not agree.

Hello Pot? This is the Kettle calling.

Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah! Nope! I’ll just get banned.

BTW This is not about anyone who has posted here.

Mine was from St. Paul, the later part of Romans. It makes a good read for those that believe such decision belong to God alone.

Ok I posted basically this same thing on another thread.

Do you remember the Texas Seven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Seven

I want to first say I’m against the Death Penalty because there is no doubt in my mind innocent people have been executed.

However until the State of Texas can prove to me without a shadow of a doubt that they can keep lowlife scumbag murderers locked up for the rest of their lives and not break out and harm someone else? I say abolish the Death Penalty.

The State of Texas had not done this so for the greater good of society you have to kill the mad dog so the mad dog don’t kill anyone else.

Because of the Texas Seven we now have a murdered police officer and widow with a child.

One of them was executed this month. If he had been executed years ago for murdering his wife Officer Hawkins would probably be alive today.

But our catechism says:
Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor. If, however, nonlethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person. Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity are very rare, if not practically nonexistent

Plus, our Lord and Savior said, “Turn the other cheek,” not, “Seek vengeance for every offense.”

Plus, there is a lot of talk about promoting a “culture of life” among good Catholics. Maybe that is just words. I cannot see how the death penalty could fit into any such culture. Obviously, this man’s actions were beyond reprehensible. However, if the Church’s teaching that all life is sacred and that all men are capable of redemption means anything, then the death penalty cannot be acceptable. We can lock up these people for life, we can pray for them, we can try to help them, and we can let God decide their eternal fate when the time comes. I think that is all that we mere humans can do.

Ordinarily I would agree with you. I’m not a fan of the death penalty, I think in general it’s supporters are too quick to suggest it’s use, and enough innocent people have been remanded to death row that I think in most cases it is not safe to issue death as a sentence. However, there is overwhelming evidence as well as admission from the convict himself in this case. He has also admitted to other murders since his release from his last prison term. This is not seeking vengence for every offense. This is insurance that this man will never get a third chance to rape and murder. If anything, the state just gave him a wake-up call to get his spiritual affairs in order before he goes to meet his maker.

I do not think the death penalty (from a Christian point of view) should depend on how ‘evil’ the person seems or how heinous their crime.

The basis principle of the Church I believe is, incarceration for life and execution only if this is the only way society can be protected. For some criminals, execution may indeed by the only way to protect society, but that protection should be the only consideration, not a desire for vengeance.

I disagree with the language in bold. I recognize that it comes from the late Pope John Paul II, but I disagree with his logic. He has basically adopted a utilitarian-tainted viewpoint of the death penalty (i.e., the death penalty can only be administered in rare cases where putting the murderer in prison will be insufficient to protect society). The Catholic Church has traditionally recognized that the execution of a murderer is an objectively good act because it is an administration of justice, which is good. Pope John Paul II’s personal opinion about the death penalty is worthy of respect, but it does not bind Catholics. The Church’s official position based on Sacred Scripture and Tradition is that the death penalty can be applied in appropriate cases.

The guy’s been found guilty; he deserves to receive the appropriate punishment. I volunteer to pull the switch!

I think this is the attitude that makes a lot of people (me included) very nervous WRT capital punishment. It implies an attitude of vengeance. Why do you want to pull the switch yourself? Is it not enough that the law enforcement authorities will do so?

The State of Texas had not done this so for the greater good of society you have to kill the mad dog so the mad dog don’t kill anyone else.

I wish we could lock them up for the rest of their lives then we could get rid of the death penalty.

However I’m sorry to say that’s not the real world we live in.

BTW if it’s something done to a kid I don’t care about that scumbags rights anymore.

I am for the death penalty in this specific case. In fact, I will volunteer my services if needed to finish him off.:thumbsup:

:eek:

I’m just saying it may be cheaper to the taxpayer if I did it. :shrug:

Given the level of violence that takes place in prisons - I would say that our government cannot fully protect society from the convicted. The Death Penalty is justified.

This horrible monster seems proud of his crimes.And how can the prison keep him segregated from others 27-7? He will likely meet the same fate as Dahlmer with or without the imposed death penalty.

He is unrepentant and would probably commit similar crimes should he escape or even commit similar crimes toward fellow inmates or guards.

Well, then, why don’t we just kill everyone rather than send them to prison? If we accept as a given that all violent offenders will be violent in prison and that our prison system can’t do anything about it, then we ought to just hang them all, I guess. Kill, kill!! Die, die!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.