Child of Parents in Communion still in Orig. Sin?

Say you have a Catholic husband and wife, in communion with the Church, frequent participants in Reconciliation and Eucharist, all around devout folk, inside and out.

And they have a baby.

If Baptism cleanses us from original sin, and both parents were baptised, and if both parents were also clean of later sin by Reconciliation…

Where did the original sin for the baby come from?

Not trying to be cutesy with this question, I think that the answer will help me work out more-exactly the nature of original sin.

[quote=bengeorge]Say you have a Catholic husband and wife, in communion with the Church, frequent participants in Reconciliation and Eucharist, all around devout folk, inside and out.

And they have a baby.

If Baptism cleanses us from original sin, and both parents were baptised, and if both parents were also clean of later sin by Reconciliation…

Where did the original sin for the baby come from?

Not trying to be cutesy with this question, I think that the answer will help me work out more-exactly the nature of original sin.
[/quote]

We receive Original sin from the fact that we are human or our human nature as decended from Adam. We do not receive Original sin from our parents.

Perhaps it is better to think of Original Sin as the absence of something rather than the presence of something. Original Sin is simply that humans are born without sanctifying grace.

Scott

Baptism removes original sin from our soul, but not its effects from our body.

The parents’ individual souls have been cleansed, but their bodies are still fallen. And so is the fallen “blue print” for human nature which they still carry in their bodies, and which is passed along physically in their gametes in procreation.

Parents do not pass along their soul to their baby, but rather, through physical reproduction, pass on human nature. But since our bodies after baptism are still fallen, so is the human nature we pass on.

Hmmmm. Yes, but human nature comprises both body and soul. And original sin affects our soul as well as our body. Not only are we born without sanctifying grace in our soul, but our will has a certain predisposition to evil and our mind a primeval darkening of its ability to recognize truth. And of course we lack the preternatural powers, being susceptible to sickness and death.

[quote=JimG]Hmmmm. Yes, but human nature comprises both body and soul. And original sin affects our soul as well as our body.
[/quote]

Yes, this is a point which I think needs to be made: that humans aren’t simply body + soul, but are a mixture of both…

Does a sin or being in the state of Sin (seperation) effect body, soul, both (the total human person) or what?

And if humans exist as body and soul together, then the Saints in heaven… do they have bodies? What about their bodies still here on earth? How does that work?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.