Children accused of witchcraft tortured, killed

By Katharine Houreld ASSOCIATED PRESS

EKET, Nigeria

The 9-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall. His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him - Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of “witch children” reviewed by the Associated Press, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the biblical exhortation, “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.”

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/05/children-accused-of-witchcraft-tortured-killed/

i had read this article and was very upset by it. modern day witch hunts in africa.
why do so many unspeakable acts happen on the continent of africa? if africa has Catholicism and the Anglican communion as well as protestantism, why is there still so much ignorance and violence?

Unfortunately, man is the cruelest of God’s creatures. Although, most other parts of the world are not nearly as violent, we still socially and verbally harass those who are different from us.

so you think that accusing children of witchcraft and torturing and killing them is justified?

There is still a very strong climate of indigenous belief in witchcraft (in Ghana it’s called “bayi”) in the rural areas of Africa. It’s not as bad in the cities and such but indigenous belief (sometimes mixed with Christianity) is a big factor in this.

What is it about Christianity that brings out the hatred and fear of people. Some of the most cruel and judgmental people I have encountered are fellow christians. Obviously this “pastor” doesn’t read all the bible, just the parts that he wants to apply at the time. Suppose the nine year old was a witch, what could he possibly do to a christian. He couldn’t cast a spell or hex us with any power. With Christ living in us there is nothing in this world or the spirit world that can harm us. The fact that Christ had mercy and compassion to heal the demon possessed should have crossed this so called pastors mind before he poured acid down a childs throat. It amazes me that some of the most powerful demons I have ever encountered claim to be christians, especially pastors. The more of these types of stories I read the more I wonder who the real enemies of christ are.

Sadly, this is old news in a sense that it has been happening for some time. I posted on this, and it was a part of why I even came here to begin with. I was angry that christians (especially ones that are there, established and can do something about it) have not done anything that I can see to stop this. Now I realize Jesus is just a way to make money for most christian organizations.

You are right, someone should have stepped in before this child was tortured and condemned to death. What right do christians feel they have to kill someone of a different faith. Jesus said if they will not receive the good news to shake the dust off your feet and leave. NOT to murder and kill children!!! Besides that if christians feel like they can kill pagans they should look at their own religion because christmas and easter etc… wasn’t even known by the first century church. The first christians were jews and would not have kept these days. As far as Jesus being a way to make money for christian organizations that is true. Jesus went to the sinners, the people that christians now and days do nothing for but judge. How many of us christians would be caught talking to a hooker? or a drunk out in the street? Instead of stopping and praying for them, we condemn them in our judgmental minds and like in
Luke 18:10-14 we act as the pharisee who thanks God we are not like the “tax collector” instead of being humble knowing it is only by the grace of God we are not walking the streets and begging.

Not at all. I am deeply horrified that anyone would do that to a child or adult. What I am saying is that we all have a long way to go to becoming true Children of God, some more than others.

There is no doubt that this is very disturbing and I want to do something about. My question to you is “What will you do about it?” Most of the entries that I witnessed in which you posted are all about anger and angst against christians. You are having this difficulty to identify with Jesus and you judge Him based on the actions of humans(this is not right). If men want to preverse the Word of God then they will; this is why we must use caution and diligence and prayer …however these people are mostly uneducated and still believe in pagan superstition that is culturally imbedded. It was noted that this doesn’t happen in the cities as much as it does in the rural towns.

If you are sincere then instead of complaining about believers and christians do something yourself; contact the Mt. Zion Ministries… I believe there are located in Albany and have an internet site; write to them that they should be involved in the many churches they founded and obviously left behind. Good Luck.

Unfortunately, I learned a while back that sin knows no reason, and the best thing is just to pray the time for sin to be no more to come soon.:knight1:

I have a few threads on this around here.

I shall just repeat my shock and disbelief at the Priest at my former Parish when I told of this and should a group trying to end it and asked about making the Parish aware of it.

“Stop being concerned with this stuff and start reading Church teachers.”

You seriously need to be educated in the faith. To say that christians are pagans shows a level of uneducation. to be honest i highly doubt that you’re a catholic. perhaps a wolf in sheeps clothing.

It’s amazing how if a situation doesn’t directly affect our parish then it don’t matter. It’s no wonder why some fall away from the faith. When you get told to stop being concerned about the actions of fellow believers, how is that being united in one faith.

Now this comment quoted below to strawberryjam from humblemaid concerned me,

“You are having this difficulty to identify with Jesus and you judge Him based on the actions of humans(this is not right). If men want to preverse the Word of God then they will;”

Matthew 10:25 came to mind “It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub how much more will they call those of his household!”

These pastors/leaders of the church are supposed to stand in the place of Jesus here on earth. Now what does it say to those who are not christians when pastors are killing children, raping children, telling a mother of a nine year old rape victim that she and her daughter are excommunicated because the nine year old had an abortion. If the leaders who are supposed to be the representative of Jesus here on earth act in this manner, how can a person not question this faith or Jesus for that matter.

I am uneducated? Do your homework. There isn’t any scripture in the bible where God commands us to keep the holidays of christmas and easter. Who were the first apostles, they was not from greece. They were from Israel, they were jews. The Christian holidays are nothing more than a version of Mithraism, an act to convert pagans to christianity. Ask your priest. As far as a wolf in sheeps clothing goes remeber that the next time a priest kills or rapes a child. If you put Jesus, Buddha, and Muhammed in a room together they would embrace one another, if you put their followers in a room together they will kill each other. Just so you know I converted to the Catholic faith, then my eyes were open to the true wolves!

Oooooookaaay.

Back the the original topic… this is obviously an outrage, and the people responsible should be held accountable. It appears these pastors are peddling hate to fill their purses and trying to pass it off as Christianity.

First of all, Protestant Christians do not believe what we believe in many areas. Therefore, the Protestant pastors do *not *“stand in the place of Jesus;” only ordained priests can stand in His place.

As a result, they tend to go off in all sorts of erroneous directions. This is not the first time that Protestants have gone on these hysterical witch hunts (Europe, Salem).

Now what does it say to those who are not christians when pastors are … telling a mother of a nine year old rape victim that she and her daughter are excommunicated because the nine year old had an abortion

This is irrelevent to the issue at hand. There have been a couple of threads here on that issue–I suggest you read them in their entirety and then comment there on this issue.

Of course there isn’t a passage in the bible Where Jesus says " hey its my birthday go celebrate it. We decided to do this. Go google what holy day means.
Just because we celebrate Jesus day of birth or mourn/remember /clelebrate his death and resurection. Doesn’t mean its pagan based. Its what humans do. We say " let celebrate/remember this day" because it has special meaning to us.

[/quote]

Of course i doubt the nature of a preist who would do such things. who wouldn’t? But doesn’t mean what i said about you doesn’t still stand. And really Jesus would hug muhammaed? A man who has spread lies about him and have led billions of people away from Gods truth? I know Both jews and muslims. i have even been in a room with them. We didn’t kill each other. As i said before. I doubt if you are a Catholic. My aussumption is you’re a pagan.
[/quote]

What was so bad was in the video I sent him the man pointed out you couldn’t call these people Christians just jerks(not his word) using torture and Jesus to make cash. There god looks more like this $ than a certain Jewish carpenter turned Rabbi.

These pastors/leaders of the church are supposed to stand in the place of Jesus here on earth. Now what does it say to those who are not christians when pastors are killing children, raping children, telling a mother of a nine year old rape victim that she and her daughter are excommunicated because the nine year old had an abortion. If the leaders who are supposed to be the representative of Jesus here on earth act in this manner, how can a person not question this faith or Jesus for that matter.

Tell me about it and if you call believers on this they whine persecution even as another child in there Parish is molested. (Thank you Gods we never saw that in my Parish. Course if it happened the Priest would be swinging by his neck from a tree.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.