Children @ Altar during the Our Father?

At my parish, during our ‘children’s’ Mass*, the children are invited to go up around the altar to say/sing the Our Father with the priest. I have seen it occasionally mentioned on this board that that is a liturgical abuse. How serious of a variance is this? Does it make the Mass illicit?

*It’s a NO Mass with more child-friendly hymns and homilies, but otherwise the same as the ‘regular’ masses. The above abberation (and the occasionaly switch of the word ‘friend’ for ‘disciple’) is the only ones that I know of to occur at this Mass. Our Parish is not far-out or radical in any way… So please don’t get that impression.

“During the liturgy of the Eucharist, only the presiding celebrant remains at the altar. The assembly of the faithful take their place in the Church outside the “presbyterium,” which is reserved for the celebrant or concelebrants and altar ministers.” [Notitiæ 17 (1981) 61]

This is authoritative from the Congregation of Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments.

So sad! Most of these children are future parents. The example being set is wrong. It is of little wonder that the sanctuary is regarded with so little reverence anymore when we can throw little parties around the alter during Calvary.
Maybe it would make a difference if you sent a copy of Redemptionis Sacramentum with the specific chapter standing out. This could just let the celebrant know that the abuse is being noticed. If you have a very understanding priest, maybe you could just talk to him. I had a priest that recommended putting a little note in the collection basket. I liked that idea.

At first I thought it would be kinda neat to see… but I understand the position against it

While one innovation leads to another, some lead to abuse.

Did you get that on the internet? If so, could you PM me a link? I need to show that to my pastor. :wink:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.