Children and denial of sacraments

Hello all,

Now I know my more liberal views on some aspects of the Church have caused a little ruckus, but I assure you all I am here in good faith. I enjoy enjoy learning, debating and growing. Having said that, here is my question.

Are the children of homosexual couples currently denied the sacraments by the Church? I can’t seem to find an answer and I believe the Church may be addressing this in the fall but I am not sure. If they are denied the sacraments, how can this be justified? I would imagine that Church would not hold the children responsible for the “sins” of the parents, right? Some guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I know the Church grants baptism to children born out of wedlock and I wondering if the same would happen in this situation.

Baptism is only supposed to be given to babies and little children below the age of reason if there is a reasonable hope that they will be brought up as Catholics. Two homosexuals obviously cannot bring a child up together as a Catholic since they are clearly living at odds with the teachings of the Church in a serious matter, and worse still, they almost certainly reject the teachings of the Church - and two heretics cannot bring up a Catholic child. The mother of a baby born out of wedlock could still believe in the Faith and practise it. It is not about punishing the child but only giving Baptism to those who will be brought up as Catholics unless there is a danger of death.

The only persons who are ever denied Sacraments are those who have no intention of being a practicing Catholic.
Period.
There’s nothing that really needs “addressing”. You want to be Catholic, you profess the faith. Pretty simple.
We don’t peer into people’s souls.
We ask questions, and if a person clearly states that they are just wanting something because they think it’s some kind of magic card that needs to be punched, then no.
We don’t accommodate. Ever heard the phrase: “We should cooperate with God’s grace?”
That’s what it means.

It wasn’t so long ago, and still the practice exists today that the babies of unwed mothers were/are refused baptism. And the Anglicans were as guilty of this as Catholics. If homosexuals want their kids baptized they need only go to the Episcopal church. Anything goes there.

Well stated.

I know for a fact that many unwed mothers have their babies baptised. Ok I see that all of you are saying no but is there an official stance by the Church or is it pretty much up to the priest?

Canon law governs the administration of infant baptism. It states:

Can. 868 §1. For an infant to be baptized licitly:

1/ the parents or at least one of them or the person who legitimately takes their place must consent;

2/ there must be a well-founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion; if such hope is altogether lacking, the baptism is to be delayed according to the prescripts of particular law after the parents have been advised about the reason.

§2. An infant of Catholic parents or even of non-Catholic parents is baptized licitly in danger of death even against the will of the parents.

The pastor determines whether or not Can 868.1.1 is going to be met through individual conversation with the parent or parents. So it is both-- the Church has defined criteria AND it is up to the individual pastor to make the judgment about whether or not an individual baptism can go forward at that time or if it needs to be delayed.

Thank you! I understand.

And it is important to note the answers people have given here are their OPINIONS.

The pastor is going to work with the individual situation, talking and meeting with the parents and probably his bishop. So, there will be many stories of baptism or “denial” of baptism involving a parent living in a same sex relationship, whether an adoptee or a biological child is involved (hint it isn’t a denial, but a delay until the criteria can be satisfied) but no one will know the FACTS because it is not simple yes or no, the details matter.

It’s pretty much up to the priest to determine if there is any reasonable hope that the child will be raised Catholic, based on the individual circumstances. Obviously, the Church isn’t going to make a blanket statement because not all family situations are the same. One child could have a practicing homosexual for a father, but the mother is a faithful Catholic. It’s also possible for a person who was a practicing homosexual to repent. They leave the specifics up to the priest to determine what is best. If they think the parents will not raise the child Catholic and are just asking for Baptism because of perceived “rights”, or superstition, or family tradition, they will wait until the child is old enough to decide for himself.

And delay does not equal denial.

I bet there are people out there claiming a priest denied the sacrament, when in fact he wanted to delay. I work in a church and people get all bent out of shape because they can’t just call up and dictate when their child will be baptized.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.