Children debate 'rape myths' in lessons

More at the source: telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/7756799/Children-debate-rape-myths-in-lessons.html

Very wrong…

God Bless.

Chris.

Things like this is one of the reasons i homeschool

The kids actually are just a few years too young but even so, the way they’re going about it is soooooo wrong.

Rape is sick. PERIOD! >_>;;
Honestly, the more people I find trying to actually justify such an atrocity, the more I wanna sign up for my own gun permit and save up for a shotgun.

This article does not give the details of the instruction or what degree of information and discussion is presented at what age levels, other than a gloss of the goals and topics of the program presented in “secondary school” which evidently starts as young as age 11.

I would disagree with the OP. There is something very right here in trying to prepare young people for something extremely wrong with the world - sexual violence.

When I was 11, I was in the fifth and sixth grades. In 5th grade, we talked in sex-segregated sessions about puberty changes, development, and hygiene. In 6th grade, we discussed these things again, in more detail, in a co-ed class called “personal development.” Most people by that age had learned what sex was in the missionary sense, and of course were fascinated with just about everything else regarding sexuality that they should have been able to learn from their parents, but were instead getting from older siblings, movies, tv, and the emerging internet.

The reality is, emerging adolescents are going through developmental changes even earlier today, and that in combination with the sex-saturated media has resulted in sexual exploration and experimentation way earlier than most of us would like to admit. Young people need to recognize what sexual violence is, how it begins, how it is perpetuated, and how it can be stopped. They need a vocabulary and practice in talking about it openly and freely to protect themselves and their friends. They need to know that rape is a crime - it is about power and has nothing to do with love - and that a victim does not “ask” to be raped. They need to know that most sexual offenders know their target (ie: not usually a stranger jumping out of a bush). They need to know that it often happens in situations where reason or escape is inhibited, like one using alcohol or under extreme emotional or peer pressure. They need to know their legal rights and what to do if they or friends are sexually abused, and what will happen if they are accused of sexual crimes.

The glamor of evil happens in the cover of darkness. Sexual violence education can only help to shed light on it and disable its power, and it needs to be delivered at a time when people are coming to discover the beauty of their sexuality before they get hurt or set into destructive patterns of behavior.

That a majority of women have some sort of rape fantasy (within a safe context-i.e. their boyfriend is wearing a mask and forces himself on her but she recognized his voice) is not an illusion. However these kids are simply too young to tackle complex issues of sexuality and evolutionary psychology.

o.0

That is quite a claim, and I don’t believe it is widely accepted. Is there a study or news article you could offer in support of it?

As for the news article, it really is too vague to discuss. “As young as age 11”… what parts of the program would be directed at such young students? Typically, educational programs teach very different things to kids at that age and those who are approaching adulthood.

However, I do think the role play part is ill-considered.

Why do you think it's very wrong? .

This disgusting and untrue! Please do not believe such stuff.

**Totally Agree!

But I wonder if such vagueness in this article could be verified as substantial, how many parents today really get involved finding out just what is being taught in schools today with Sex-Ed finding its place in many student curriculums.**

Sadly not many parents do take the time or concern.

I heavily utilize discussions of issue in my college courses. However, discussion may not be the best way for those so young to learn about such a horrible topic. While teaching about rape is very needed, this may be a little early, particularly in a discussion format. If it were up to me, I would teach about the damage done by rape, and make it unequivically clear that it is morally wrong and legally punishable. Sometimes in a culture of relativism, discussions are not the best way to deal with every topic. Just my 7 cents worth (with recent inflation, 2 cents just doesn't get you a complet sentence.)

The intentions are right to prevent such crimes or to become more aware of the threats, however they are too young and as Dale said the role-playing is ill-considered.

God Bless.

Chris.

No sex, please. We're British.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.