Children of God - are we really?

The Bible often refers to humankind as “Children of God.” We generally think that this is a spiritual reference as we were born from a human mother and father, right? WRONG!
In Genesis it specifically states that God breathed life into us all - (not just Adam and Eve). Further proof that we are really God’s children was recently discovered by Northwestern University scientists that found, at conception, a unknown bright spark occurred at the exact second of conception! Not at any other time when sperm and female eggs entwined - but at life-giving conception itself! There was no explanation as to why or what caused this “spark of life” at conception (and at no other time).
What does this fact say to you? Maybe what Genesis stated has been correct for all of us all along!
If we are truly Children of God by design, we are also then, brothers and sisters as well. God our father is in all of us (our spiritual soul) as well as our bodies. Think about this for a moment - who we are, and where we really come from and where we are going as God’s children. We pray to God as our heavenly father don’t we?
How can we then (as a Christian society) abide and allow abortion of one of God’s own children to be “legal” in this, and other countries? Have we become that depraved to allow this to happen and even vote for it to continue? Years ago any abortion of one of God’s children was a criminal offense in this country, now we kill MILLIONS of God’s babies every year by rationalizing that we are somehow helping the mother in a time of need.
I was once married to a woman I thought I deeply loved. When she stated that she was pregnant, I was overjoyed! Then she stated that she was going to Planned Parenthood and talk to them about an abortion because she “didn’t feel ready” to be a mother. I demanded that she didn’t do this despicable thing and that I would, as the father and husband, stop it. I could do nothing about it I was told, as she alone would make the decision to continue with the abortion and I couldn’t stop her. She had it done in spite of my protests. I divorced her soon afterward.
Is this what we are allowing to happen to millions of God’s children? I hope we stop soon.

I don’t think that happens exclusively at human conceptions.

Every person born is a child of God .

I’ll leave it to theologians to say how it can or can’t be or how we have to understand it this way and not that way , or to discover how many angels can dance on the head of a needle … :upside_down_face:

Every person born is separated by God because of original sin. Baptism makes a person a child of God.

" For in him we live, and move, and are; as some also of your own poets said: For we are also his offspring."

God is the Father of all by virtue of the fact that he is the Creator .

NOT every human is a Child of God, only those who have been baptised.

“All who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.” - Romans 8:14

This is theologically incorrect. You become a child of God when you are baptised.

Not quite true . . .Jesus died to make us spiritual children of God and to remove Original sin. Do not confuse “mortal” with spiritual. God gave us life - He is our father. Jesus died to bring us spiritually closer to Him.

Yes, it is quite true.

“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” - John 1:12

You may remember that Jesus himself was baptized. Did the water cleanse the soul of this sinless man?

“Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God” - Catechism of the Catholic Church 1213.

That is correct -every blood and bone being on God’s earth were brought forth with His “spark of life.”

Because we may become adopted sons.

John 1

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Catechism

2021 Grace is the help God gives us to respond to our vocation of becoming his adopted sons. It introduces us into the intimacy of the Trinitarian life.

Reborn as SPIRITUAL sons (and daughters) of God.

Seriously, why are you so desperate to deny this Catholic doctrine? We BECOME sons of God when we are baptised. It’s really quite simple.

I think there is confusion of semantics - we are as “adopted” as the universe itself is. God created both. We however, have the choice of becoming spiritually adopted if we so choose.

When Jesus was baptized, did he then become the son of God?

St Thomas Aquinas teaches that it was a symbolic baptism to show mankind the way to follow.

You are confusing the matter. We are NOT sons of God before baptism due to original sin, then we BECOME sons of God upon being baptised. This is Catholic doctrine. There are not two types of Sonship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.