Children Raised in Secular Homes

Question for Catholic parents bringing their children up in the faith:

What sorts of differences do you notice in your children vs. children raised in secular homes? How do you think their religious upbringing has affected their personas vs. peers raised in a secular home? Are there any differences at all?

[quote="bhall0689, post:1, topic:243192"]

What sorts of differences do you notice in your children vs. children raised in secular homes? How do you think their religious upbringing has affected their personas vs. peers raised in a secular home? Are there any differences at all?

[/quote]

What's a secular home? Would it be a home that's totally devoid of religion? Short of questioning other parents on their religiosity - which I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing - how would we know that?

I don't know that my daughters know any children who are being raised completely without religion. The only people they know who don't follow any faith are their grandparents, who have been instructed by us to keep that tidbit under wraps until the girls are much older. But then again, the youngest "child" in that family is 35 years old, hardly the girls' peers.

I see alot of the same morality, actually. The greatest couple I know is an agnostic couple but they waited until marriage, don't lie/cheat/ all that jazz.

Many people who were raised in "secular" homes can be just as wonderful as those raised in religious homes.

By secular, I am assuming you mean in a home where God is not discussed, nor is a faith practiced.

IMO, children raised without a faith base may have nothing to turn to when they face difficulty making sense of the problems that arise in every life, situations that don't always have worldly solutions or clear answers. They may be raised to be self-sufficient, well mannered, intelligent, well educated, considerate of others, obedient to their parents, but children need something more. It is my observation that children raised in a faith may at some point, question it as something unneccesary and irrelevant, something that was 'forced' upon them by their parents. They may even leave it behind for an extended period of time, but, it is also my experience that at some point in their lives they will return to the faith of their childhood, or seek some faith to join, to feel part of, to belong to when the secular world leaves them completely unsatisfied.

Thinking that children should be allowed to choose for themselves when they come of age is a terrible mistake. We wouldn't withhold a basic education, or health, or dental care from children until they could decide for themselves. Why would we withhold something as fundamental as faith in God?

I’m only 21, so I don’t have any kids, but I’ve met a considerable number of people my age who were raised in secular homes.

In fact, one of my best friends was raised without any sort of religious involvement. He’s only been to church once in his life. (When he was 8 years-old, with his aunt and uncle) His parents are not religious at all.

One thing is that he doesn’t understand a lot of religious teachings/values. He has told me flat-out that he thinks saving sex for marriage is “bullsh*t”. His “reasoning” is that you have make sure you’re “compatible” with your partner before you get married. His parents pretty much just told him to use condoms and left it at that.

He’s a good person overall. He’s honest. He doesn’t steal. He doesn’t do drugs. He isn’t violent.

The only real difference I notice is that he just doesn’t understand religious values when they differ from secular values.

[quote="bhall0689, post:1, topic:243192"]

[/quote]

We are Catholic parents bringing our children up in the faith, but I don't think I can answer your questions. While most of the people I know are practicing Catholics, I don't think I know a single family with children that does not practice some type of religion. I do know of one couple where the husband is agnostic and the wife isn't religious, but they do not have children. Another couple I know doesn't practice any religion as far as I know, though he was raised Catholic. They have been together a dozen years or so, but they are not married and do not have children.

I'll keep thinking and see if I can come up with someone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.