Children Taught To Only Receive In the Hand?

Hello. :slight_smile: I notice that at my parish, all first communicants receive in the hand. This kind of makes me raise my eyebrows, as not one receives on the tongue. Then I read that there are cases of catechism teachers teaching children to only receive in the hand.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with this? Has anyone been taught in their youth to only receive in the hand?

I’m not sure if this is happening at my parish or not. I just wanted to know if this is widespread.

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

P.S., please do not turn this into a debate over why COTT is better than COTH, or vice versa.

Reminds me… I was taught after communion to go back and kneel. In actuality you can go back kneel,stand, or sit. I personally sit. I dont really like people breathing on the back of my neck because they kneel behind me because they think thats the “norm” but hey Im a rebel.Perhaps if people would spend a little time studying how to go to mass we would have less confusion.Ill stop here because Im trying so hard not to get into liturgical abuses.

Frequently, father wants everyone to receive the same way for 1st communion so everyone is taught to do it the same way. Invariably it is COTH even though the norm is COTT for the Latin Church. Personally, I think it should be the other way around, especially if we want to encourage belief in the Real Presence. Everyone should receive COTT if father wants uniformity for first communion, then they can take advantage of the indult to receive COTH if they want to later.

I think that in my parish they are being taught to receive on the tongue. Although its not an FSSP parish, its pretty traditional and conservative on most aspects.

There is one thing that made me wonder recently about this particular topic. A neighboring parish put in some lovely stained glass windows (15 of them, I think) : 1 at the back that shows the Holy Family, 7 that show different saints, and 7 showing the Sacraments. The stained glass window for First Holy Communion shows a young boy with cupped hands in front of a priest.

Recently in a discussion on which was more appropriate, I got an interesting spin from a Franciscan priest…of course he said both are okay, but noted that those who make the case that it should be exclusively received by the mouth because we were not worthy (clean) enough to receive in our hands could be wrong, in that things coming out of our mouths are also often unclean, and because works are often done with our hands, they are pure and clean.

In my parish the children are taught to receive on the tongue. The DRE tells parents that they may teach CITH if they choose. I do not think the children are required to receive all the same way at FHC.

As an EMHC, I do see that most younger children recive on the tongue. They aren’t all super reverant though, some receive by taking the host in their teeth. I think because most people are also taught that iot is rude to stick your tongue out. :stuck_out_tongue:

The choice to receive on the tongue or in the hand is exclusively the choice of the Communicant. Neither the priest nor EMHC’s nor any catechism teachers has any right telling the children they may only receive one way.

At my parish, the First Communion class is only taught to receive in the hand, but it is not a problem.

In Latin America, we receive communion on the tongue. It can cause a problem, I think, if one tries to receive it in the hand, here. I know someone who once tried that, and the priest here didn’t want to even give him communion in the hand. It caused problems.

The priest should be reminded privately that it is not up to him how the Communicant receives. The GIRM makes it perfectly clear that the Communicant is the only one who has the choice.

This is the correct way this topic should be approached.

Communion in the hand is an indult. Not every place has the indult, so on the tongue would be the only option.

I attend Mass at a Polish parish. There are only two Masses in English a week. The priests are from the Pauline Order in Poland. Compared to many US parishes, it is very conservative, The only time one sees people taking COTH is at the English Language Masses, and they are in the minority. likewise the upturned palms at the Our Father. Most attendees at the English Masses take COTT and fold their hands in prayer for the Our Father.
When one attends the Polish Language Masses, one almost never sees COTH, and always sees clasped hands for the Our Father.

What places do not have it? That indult is universal.

The indult is not universal. Countries have to individually apply for it. For example, Colombia, and some Mexican dioceses, have not been granted the indult. I cannot find what other places do not have it, but I know there are.

Parts of Mexico and Brazil that I know for sure. Being in Texas, we teach all the FHC children both methods since many travel back to Mexico to visit families in areas where there is no indult.

no it is not

Do they have their own local GIRM then because the GIRM does not say only where Communion is allowed by both methods does the Communicant have a choice.
It states the Communicant has a choice.

The GIRM has adaptations for each Bishops’ conference. I understand that the Philippines at one time had the indult, but the Bishops there discontinued the practice. It is up to the local Bishop.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It’s my understanding that thistle lives in the Philippines. I would think he would know what is allowed there?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.