Children who die in the womb....

Can anyone help me with the Church’s teaching on children who die in the womb? I am wondering if there is any consistent or official teaching on the status of those who are miscarried or aborted. I have heard different opinions, but am curious as to what the Church teaches.

The Church officially teaches that we don’t know, but can hope for the mercy of God.

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

1283 With respect to children who have died without Baptism, the liturgy of the Church invites us to trust in God’s mercy and to pray for their salvation.

Miscarried, stillborn, aborted or born but die without being baptised. They are all unbaptised children.

CCC 1261
As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: “Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,” allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

Thank you for the information.

You are welcome.

As mentioned, we have to trust in God’s mercy. But we also have to remember that God’s mercy is very, very great. He is more merciful than we can imagine. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me.” While we don’t have a declarative teaching that they are in Heaven, I can’t imagine Jesus turning them away.

Having answerd the OP’s question, this thread is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.