Children's Book does anyone remember

I had this story and also read it to my children, it was a “chapter” book for perhaps a 3rd grade reading level, with lots of pictures.
It was about a little Chinese (or Japanese) girl whose mother was trying to save her from soldiers, possibly revolutionaries, and put her in a decorated trunk. The trunk ended up on a ship bound for the new world, eventually Mexico I think, and the little “stowaway” was found, and ended up with a Mexican family.

Does this strike a chord with anyone who can give me the book or author?

I’ve never heard of it. Sorry

Doesn’t ring any bells, but…

The woman who runs Collectible Children’s Books (VintageChildrensBooks.com) might know. She’s a font of knowledge about pre-1980s kiddie lit, and she’s gotten back with me right away when I’ve had questions similar to yours.

Luna

Also, this seems to be a great resource:

loganberrybooks.com/stump.html

From the site:

“Have you forgotten the title of your favorite children’s book? This is a service to help solve your book mysteries. Submit your memory here, and see if anyone else remembers your book memory, or better yet, knows the title and author!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.