Children's Mass / Liturgy

Hopefully this thread is in the right place...

Where I live in New Zealand we have a school & our parish church on the same block of land which doesn't really worry me...

... however every so often we have a school-Children's Mass/Liturgy (i've heard it called many things) but for some reason it makes my skin crawl. Especially when some of the kids start dancing around & waving pink streamers etc. during different parts of the Mass

Is this normal? The parish i'm in is my first as a confirmed Catholic so I don't have much experience in these things. My family & I dread going and have nearly walked out before (which is a feeling I dislike intently)

I'm all for getting the children involved in the church as altar boys etc but this seems a bit much to take in...

I'm very confused about it all...

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

I would talk to someone from the school or the pastor about this as it makes you feel uneasy.
Firstly because they need to be aware that something is causing people to feel uneasy at Mass and secondly because if you know the reasons behind this choice you may find it easier to accept. Eg it may be a way of helping Special needs children with participation and expression, some of the children may have short attention spans and something different MAy be needed to help them get through the time without becoming so restless the Mass gets disrupted. Speak to people and see what they say.

No this isn't good and shouldn't be happening. I've heard many stories of abuse like this going on. It's sad, really, but it shouldn't be happening. Report it

I have been involved with liturgies with children for about 20 years now. The problem with school liturgies, and I have written about this, is that they tend to use an educational model when preparing liturgies. In Catholic schools, at least around here, the teachers are responsible for preparing liturgy. In most instances they have no clue about what good liturgy is. They depend on "themes" or cutesy things that show off the kids. Many of the Catholic teacher or catechist publications reinforce this. It will take a strong pastor to get them away from this type of thing. We could not get it to happen in my children's school when they were young but we did get it to happen in the parishes I worked at. Children need to experience good liturgy not Barney goes to Mass.

I read that line and felt like :rotfl: and :clapping: in equal measure…

[quote="Martin15, post:5, topic:321823"]
I read that line and felt like :rotfl: and :clapping: in equal measure...

[/quote]

Agreed...

So I went to the children's mass this morning run by the school & spent most of the time praying to Jesus & seeking him. The Creed got replaced by some rubbish which made me want to leave. :banghead: (I couldn't because I sat in the middle of the pews with my family so i'd have no choice but to stay).

What's the deal with Children reading the Gospel & acting it out? :shrug: Was the first time i'd seen that before & I'll admit it doesn't make me feel comfortable. Same with the "Hymns" was a bunch of kiddies song's sung instead.

If it wasn't a grave sin to miss Mass on a Sunday i'd just stay home when the school runs mass. Either that or go to the parish up the road...

Rant finished now :nunchuk:

Acting out the Gospel is not allowed AT ALL. I think every school and CCD office should have a copy of the GIRM, the Directory for Masses with Children and the Introduction to the Lectionary for Masses with Children. The last two are probably due to be revised but even though they are old they both give good advice as to what should be done at masses with children.

In the past, there were no "children's Masses." Kids were taken to the only Mass there was and learned from their parents and the Baltimore Catechism. They grew up into adults who knew their faith. Today, religious education in many parishes and schools is watered down to the point of being meaningless and pedantic, and most children today are horribly undercatechized. So-called Children's Masses are usually aimed at the youngest children, and older kids usually find them juvenile. I also do not believe in so-called "Children's Liturgy of the Word." Kids and parents should remain together throughout the Mass, and as children listen to the "big words," they begin to learn them. The Mass is educational in itself when it is prayed reverently and beautifully.

When I was a child in the late 50s early 60’s we certainly did have children’s mass. In fact adults were not allowed except for the nuns and ushers. We had to sit with our class. The homily was so that we could understand. We also had a dialogue mass and began using English as early as 65.

I think it important to separate that which we do not like from that which is not allowed. While it is fine to express to a priest stuff that you do not like, it best be done with an understanding that it is still just one opinion. If, on the other hand, there is something considered to be an abuse, then that should only be something that is a definitive act that is in contradition to what is allowed in a* children's* liturgy.

[quote="pnewton, post:10, topic:321823"]
I think it important to separate that which we do not like from that which is not allowed. While it is fine to express to a priest stuff that you do not like, it best be done with an understanding that it is still just one opinion. If, on the other hand, there is something considered to be an abuse, then that should only be something that is a definitive act that is in contradition to what is allowed in a* children's* liturgy.

[/quote]

The bolded part is a very important point. There are options and wordings (even for the EP) that are available for children's Masses. Ask politely about the differences and find out what is allowed and separate what you don't like from what may truly be incorrect.

There is probably a schedule for these Masses (once a term, etc.). You can certainly attend somewhere else on those Sundays. Or if this is a school Mass celebrated during the week, simply don't attend Mass on those days.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.