Child's Christmas artwork (a curcifix) deemed 'violent'

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/rnw1964/1442817.jpg

Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Taunton (AP/WBZ Newsroom) -- A Taunton man says his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick figure Jesus on a cross.

The man told the Taunton Daily Gazette his second-grader made the drawing after his teacher asked children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas. He said the teacher at Maxham Elementary School thought the drawing was too violent.

The father, who asked that his name not be used, said the family had recently seen a Christmas display at a religious shrine.

Superintendent Julie Hackett said she could not discuss an individual student and the school followed proper protocol.

Toni Saunders, an educational consultant working with the family, said the teacher was alarmed because the boy drew Xs in the eyes of Jesus.

wbz.com/Child-s-Christmas-artwork-deemed--violent------SOU/5896962

The religious shrine mentioned in the article was The National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580282,00.html

TAUNTON, Mass. — A Taunton man says his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick figure Jesus on a cross.

The man told the Taunton Daily Gazette his second-grader made the drawing after his teacher asked children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas. He said the teacher at Maxham Elementary School thought the drawing was too violent.

The father, who asked that his name not be used, said the family had recently seen a Christmas display at a religious shrine.

Superintendent Julie Hackett said she could not discuss an individual student and the school followed proper protocol.

Toni Saunders, an educational consultant working with the family, said the teacher was alarmed because the boy drew Xs in the eyes of Jesus.

Amazing to me that this teacher would not recognize a Crucifix, and the poor little boy needs to get a psychological evaluation.

Just incredibly ignorant on the teacher's part.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:2, topic:179811"]
Amazing to me that this teacher would not recognize a Crucifix, and the poor little boy needs to get a psychological evaluation. Just incredibly ignorant on the teacher's part.

[/quote]

If only it were mere ignorance.

Another article with more detail:

tauntongazette.com/news/x1903566059/Taunton-second-grader-suspended-over-drawing-of-Jesus

Well, yes, crucifixion was a very violent way to die, but seriously folks!!! I wear one of those things every day and no one questions my sanity! (Well, maybe they do, but not because of my necklace!) :p

A child is sent home for drawing Christ Crucified, too violent?

i bet these same people think abortion is a “simple medical procedure!”

Murdering innocent babies is as violent & as evil as anyone can get!

“You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” (Jn 8:44)

Today the Truth is a lie & lies are the truth!!!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

wow... :( that's ridiculous!!

*:mad:I'd be getting a lawyer, BIG TIME. This is insane. Jay Seculow (sp?) ...anyone familiar with him? He is a Christian lawyer who takes on ''cases'' like this all the time, and wins.

That poor boy, being sent home for drawing Jseus, and he doesn't know why, and now he will be afraid to speak openly about Christ at school. :( *

[quote="Bubba_Switzler, post:3, topic:179811"]
If only it were mere ignorance.

Another article with more detail:

tauntongazette.com/news/x1903566059/Taunton-second-grader-suspended-over-drawing-of-Jesus

[/quote]

I read the comments of other readers below the article in this link...looks like this school is known for overreacting, and ridiculousness. I think someone should take this school to court, and get some of these folks ousted. This is just sad. The poor kid went through an evaluation, and was found to be perfectly fine, but the EVENT of being sent home is what has caused him trauma! :mad: Some people should never ever consider the teaching profession...it's not for everyone. I just find this whole thing outrageous!

This may not be an anti-Christian thing… there’s also the whole oversensitivity toward violence in schools. Kids aren’t allowed to express violence these days without a team of shrinks running to analyze it.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:2, topic:179811"]
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580282,00.html

Amazing to me that this teacher would not recognize a Crucifix, and the poor little boy needs to get a psychological evaluation.

Just incredibly ignorant on the teacher's part.

[/quote]

What nonsense, urgh secularism.

In this world nothing surprises me.

Makes me think that the teacher and school officials might be Anti-Catholic.

I mean wouldn’t one think that if the principal of the school looked up the young boy’s student file they would have known that the little boy was Catholic.

I think the school officials are the ones who require a shrink.

Bravo for the young boy and the inspiration in his heart though sadly he was scolded.

Matthew 21:15 "“Do you hear what they are saying?” Jesus said to them, “Yes; and have you never read the text, ‘Out of the mouths of infants and nurslings you have brought forth praise’?”

I read the article and the comment earlier. It does sound like the parents of kids in the school need to protest. I know a lot of people have no other choice, but I would not send my kid back to school there.

I’d like to see the parents have a t shirt made of the drawing and put it up for sale on cafe press or something. Then the whole country could buy and wear one. That might open some eyes.

First, I just wonder how many people in America, who not recognize the picture for what it was, Jesus on the Cross. I could see if the teacher had no clue what the picture was and just thought it was a drawing of some dead person. This seems highly unlikely.

Second, if the teacher had any reason to believe that this was Jesus on a cross (the assignment was about Christmas) why not question the student discretely. "Wow Johnny, that drawing is really neat. Why are their x’s on the eyes? Is that a cross? Oh, that’s Jesus, how nice.

If the teacher recognized the cross and had the mental capacity to connect Christ with Christmas, then I believe it was an anti-Christian action to send the boy home and require the evaluation.

Lastly, contrast this example with the one at the end of the article, the boy who drew a picture of him shooting a teacher. Um…yeah, obviously violent and needs to be dealt with. Jesus on the cross. Violent, but a historic fact. If they had asked the kid and he had said, “That’s you the cross Ms. Smith”, then I could understand the teacher being worried.

[quote="Havard, post:9, topic:179811"]
This may not be an anti-Christian thing... there's also the whole oversensitivity toward violence in schools. Kids aren't allowed to express violence these days without a team of shrinks running to analyze it.

[/quote]

*This occured to me, also. But, come on...Christmas = Christ...to many people, you'd think this teacher would know that. Either way, it's over the top behavior for the teacher and the school. I could see if the boy drew a picture of mom hitting dad, or a gun, or something like that...but this just lacks common sense on the teacher's part, and now the kid is fearful of going to school? It's just something that could have been completely avoided.

PS--I always chuckle when I read your signature on here...lol :D*

One has to wonder what is with the teacher. The child is 8 yrs. old. Doesn’t say if he is or isn’t a Catholic but the Shrine at La Salette, apparently ,has a very large, and very impressive, Crucifixition accessible from a flight up a hill. And there is, apparently, a Christmas light display there which the family recently visited. Oh, and the article included the fact that the child has special needs…he gets extra attention with reading. There is nothing wrong with the kid. It’s the teacher with the problem.

[quote="whatevergirl, post:14, topic:179811"]
*This occured to me, also. But, come on...Christmas = Christ...to many people, you'd think this teacher would know that. Either way, it's over the top behavior for the teacher and the school. I could see if the boy drew a picture of mom hitting dad, or a gun, or something like that...but this just lacks common sense on the teacher's part, and now the kid is fearful of going to school? It's just something that could have been completely avoided.

PS--I always chuckle when I read your signature on here...lol :D*

[/quote]

Right, but you also have to account for the lack of common sense that a lot of people suffer from these days... it's possible that the teacher doesn't know how to handle the Crucifixion.

Oh, and do you mean my sig? I used to get people asking me about Harvard University, so I figured it'd be quicker to explain it right off the bat. Technically it should be Håvard, but I figured it's easier for non-Scandinavian folks to leave out the Å.

I laughed when I read that. All I could think of is the violence my father would have inflicted upon the teacher ignorant enough to pull a stunt like this with one of his children. A stick figure drawing would be the least of their worries.

[quote="Havard, post:16, topic:179811"]
Right, but you also have to account for the lack of common sense that a lot of people suffer from these days... it's possible that the teacher doesn't know how to handle the Crucifixion.

Oh, and do you mean my sig? I used to get people asking me about Harvard University, so I figured it'd be quicker to explain it right off the bat. Technically it should be Håvard, but I figured it's easier for non-Scandinavian folks to leave out the Å.

[/quote]

Yes...when I first read it, I was like...oh he went to Harvard...wait, he didn't go to Harvard. lol His name is HAVARD! AH HA! It's just funny ...lol Don't mind me. :blush:

[quote="whatevergirl, post:18, topic:179811"]
Yes...when I first read it, I was like...oh he went to Harvard...wait, he didn't go to Harvard. lol His name is HAVARD! AH HA! It's just funny ...lol Don't mind me. :blush:

[/quote]

Nah, I went to Notre Dame, which is yet another can of worms for many people here. :(

*For whatever it’s worth…I majored in education ( no teaching jobs were available where I lived when I graduated, so I went into business) …that said, I had to go through child psychology courses back then, like all students preparing to become teachers. Regardless of the religious offenses here, this just seems so ‘‘out there’’ for teachers to put a little boy through. I mean…8 yrs old? He’s not even a preteen yet to grasp what he did ‘‘wrong’’…I just don’t understand how they could have thought this type of reaction warranted what he drew. *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.